Sun, Oct 6, 1:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Displacement, Scale and Mapping

Monsoon ( ) posted Tue, 03 March 2009 at 5:43 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 7:06 AM

Attached Link: Displacement,Scale and Mapping

Here's a quick tutorial on the use of scale and mapping where displacements are concerned.

It's mostly for displaced rock materials and my own Rock Concert mat collection in particular.

When working with displacements, the defaults in my kit and in Vue's native collection as well are mapped with object parametric mapping. The purpose in my kit was so that Vue folk could see the displaced action on a primitive first before choosing which one to use.

However, when placed on larger structures in the background, on larger imported objects and on metablob structures, the same material unchanged can look like crap. So some tweaking is needed in the areas of mapping and scale.

Hopefully this tutorial will help a bit.

Thanks for lookin'

M

Monsoon ( ) posted Tue, 03 March 2009 at 5:59 PM

Hmmm....I seem to have trouble viewing the tutorial. Figures. Mine stops 3/4 of the way through.

Jing. Can't beat it for free though.

At any rate, you should get the gist of this before it stops on you. Or it may work just fine.

Let me know what happens and I may just redo it and put it on my private site.

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 03 March 2009 at 6:16 PM

I saw the video all the way. Great tip, thanks!

ArtPearl ( ) posted Tue, 03 March 2009 at 7:09 PM

I watched it all the way through too. Some helpful points you make. I understand the need to adjust the scale and the problem with having it set to parametric, but wouldnt  setting it to object-standard  be OK too? If you chose 'world', wouldnt the details of the texture will change when you move the object ?

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

marren ( ) posted Tue, 03 March 2009 at 10:04 PM

Thanks for this additional information. I use this pack a lot.

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 04 March 2009 at 2:28 AM

Hi Mark, Nice tutorial.  Question:  Why not just use world mapping as the default for all of your nice textures?  This does a couple of things:

1. It would normalize the appearance on any type of object used, regardless of shape, without having to change the mapping mode

2. I would provide unique variations of the texture depending on where you placed the rocks - this is desireable for example when creating ecosystems

Under the world mapping scenario, the only thing you might have to adjust is the scale

Lovely textures however.  A must have for Vue.

Rids ( ) posted Wed, 04 March 2009 at 5:22 AM

Thanks Mark, you've cleared up something that has been messing with my head for way too long, so I can finally use displacements in Vue now :biggrin:

Monsoon ( ) posted Wed, 04 March 2009 at 6:38 AM

Yep and it's a glorious day indeed. When I made my displacement materials I couldn't even use the displacement in V6 toward the end. Couldn't even render in preview without Vue crashing. But now......it's a whole different story.

Artpearl....of course you can use object standard. I just like to twirl my stuff around and see what the fractals do.

Dave.....I know. But I'm now too lazy to redo it all so I thought a quick tut might help lol.....When I first started making stuff for Vue I just followed E-on's default lead on a lot of stuff.

I just picked up your Rock my World to go along with the Groundcovers kit and I must say these are 'must haves' for all Vuers. Fabulous stuff. And sending the scale way up for large in the distance structures is applicable there as well.

A moment of silence please for Vue's native rocks.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 04 March 2009 at 7:09 AM

Thanks mate, that'll help! :)

and yeah, Vue's humble rock needs ye proverbial "gold watch" ;)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 04 March 2009 at 1:26 PM

Super tute, Mark! Very instructive. Thanks for posting :-)

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Wed, 04 March 2009 at 4:59 PM

Excellent tutorial, enjoyed watching it :)

Jon

DA Portfolio - http://jonj1611.daportfolio.com/

sirenia ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 4:51 AM

Ah, another great tip to keep in mind :-)
Thank you !

Society failed to tolerate me...

... and i have failed to tolerate society

lightning2911 ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 6:53 AM

Quote - A moment of silence please for Vue's native rocks.

LOL! thanks for the tutorial

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.