Mon, Sep 23, 2:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: Figure creation problem

cnolte ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2009 at 11:14 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 2:20 PM

Hi,
I import my object file (into Poser7), go to the setup room, add bones, group bones to the various parts of the mesh, and then exit the setup room.  Next I adjust the joint parameters and then save my new figure.  If I exit and restart poser, and then try to load the figure, it is (totally) invisible and not selectable.  If I then return to the setup room, the bones are all there but there is no mesh.

I don't know if the following information is helpful, but the object was created in Hexagon, UV mapped using Roadkill, then passed through UVMapper before saving.  I then opened it again in Hexagon to cut up the mesh.  I didn't assign any material to the object, instead relying on a texture map generated from the UV map.  Could the lack of a material with the object file cause Poser to 'lose' the object but maintain its bone structure (does this make any sense?).

Thanks.

jonnybode ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2009 at 11:31 AM

Hi!

If you open the *.cr2 in notepad, what *.obj is it pointing to?
Does it behave different if you place the *.obj in the same folder as the *.cr2?

Regards / Jonny

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2009 at 11:33 AM

Try this:-

Open the saved figure CR2 file in a text editor.

Near the top you will see the path to the OBJ file that it uses. This will not be your original file but one created by Poser. It will probably be in the same folder as the CR2 file.

Open that OBJ file in UV Mapper

Select by group.
What group names do you see?
Do they exactly match the internal body part names found in the CR2 file?

Adom ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2009 at 11:34 AM

Check if the groups names inside obj are the same like in cr2 file (actors internal names).

It's just a guess but there is such  possibility.

jdcooke ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2009 at 11:41 AM

The UV map will still need at least one material name assigned to it so that you can link an image to the map.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2009 at 11:47 AM

Quote - Check if the groups names inside obj are the same like in cr2 file (actors internal names).

That's what usually causes this problem for me too, that the group names in the OBJ do not match the group names called for in the CR2.

My Freebies

billy-home ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2009 at 1:43 PM

I've had this happen to me, both the whole figure disappear or just selected parts, I found the problem was I'd started the group names with capital letters, once I'd renamed the groups to have them all starting with lowercase letters everything worked perfectly, very strange.

Cheers

Billy

DarkEdge ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2009 at 6:24 PM

Yup, what the others said.
Usually when you load something and it doesn't appear that means that Poser went to look for it and can't find it. Typically that mean you misspelled something, your folder structure isn't correct, or the CR2 is looking elsewhere for the obj file.

Hope this helps

Comitted to excellence through art.

cnolte ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 8:55 AM

Hi All,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I was able to resolve the problem by doing the following:
(1) Opened the saved CR2 in a CR2 editor and checked the path to the OBJ file which was the one that poser created along with the CR2. 
(2) then attempted to open this OBJ file with UV mapper and got the following error "This OBJ file has no facet information".
(3) So I went back to the original mesh created in Hexagon, added a material layer, exported it and gave it a different name.
(4) Deleted all instances of the first OBJ and CR2 files.
(5) Imported new version of the OBJ into poser and then into the setup room.
(6) Added bones and saved as a figure once back in the pose room.
(7) Exit poser and restarted it.
And now everything is good.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2009 at 6:42 PM

May I ask, the first one that registered no facet information...did you take that obj into UVMapper before bringing it into Poser?

If so, yup. Mapper does that to me sometimes too...a little glitch. Glad you figured it out!

cnolte ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2009 at 12:27 PM

Hi DarkEdge,

I have fallen into the habit of passing my exported Obj into UVMapper before bringing them into Poser.  It seems that sometimes the exported mesh from Hexagon has vertices that are out-of-range and UVMapper (as you know) correct this.  Generally, I have never had a problem with a mesh that has gone through UVMapper prior to importing it into Poser.  This is the first time.

Do you know if this glitch is a problem also with UVMapper Pro?

Cheers!

DarkEdge ( ) posted Wed, 18 March 2009 at 6:13 PM

Pro is what I use, so yes. At first it confused me but when I figured it out I just double check now...or if something goes wrong UVMapperPro is the first cog in the wheel I check. I also find it will do that more to Poser sized stuff than obj's that I have scaled up (x100, x1000).

I am not bashing UVMapper by any means, I use it all of the time. Just a funny little hiccup is all. 😉

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.