Tue, Oct 1, 5:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: cloth simulation failure

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 9:11 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 5:03 PM
Site Admin

What causes a simulation to fail besides poke-throughs. That was the first thing I checked. I even tried not having any thing collide with it. It's been so long since I had a failure I can't remember what else to try. I'm using a figure converted to a prop although that has never given me trouble before. Any suggestions?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 9:30 PM

If you have "cloth self collision" on, that might also be more than Poser's little brain can comprehend ;)

Also if the converted cloth is VERY polygon heavy - even in places - that can make Poser choke on it.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Adom ( ) posted Thu, 19 March 2009 at 9:38 PM

If object used in simulation has "non quads" polygons? - only suggestion.

LBT ( ) posted Fri, 20 March 2009 at 7:10 AM

I've found that converted conforming clothes often include things like buttons and belt loops that fly off into space during cloth simulations.  Generally, they tend to fly away from the figure and cloth item, but in your case, you may have one or two aberrant polies trying to intersect with others.  Unfortunately, they're usually very small and hard to find. 

My suggestion is to run a simple 15 frame simulation in which the cloth crumples to the floor.  Then look for any little "bits" hovering around the cloth item.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 20 March 2009 at 10:24 AM
Site Admin

what are "non quads"? and how do I check for them?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Adom ( ) posted Fri, 20 March 2009 at 10:42 AM · edited Fri, 20 March 2009 at 10:43 AM

quad - polygon with four 'sides' or edges and four vertices or corners.
non quad - other polygon:)

Switch to 'Flat Lined' display in Menu>(Document Style, Figure Style, Element Style)>Flat Shaded Lined (or whatever that can show the grid of your geometry).

Then you can see at first glance what the cloth is made of.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 20 March 2009 at 6:58 PM
Site Admin

They are quad-polygons. So that variable should be correct, right?

Adom ( ) posted Fri, 20 March 2009 at 7:12 PM

I give up:)

Try setting everything up from beginning (close Poser, open clear document, load your fig .... you know the story) - or maybe you've already done that:)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 20 March 2009 at 7:55 PM
Site Admin

I've done that. I re-started poser and tried a fresh simulation without out anything. Still didn't work. there are numerous "identical points in the face" and some "identical vertex index in face". could that be it?

Adom ( ) posted Fri, 20 March 2009 at 8:06 PM · edited Fri, 20 March 2009 at 8:11 PM

"identical points in the face" and some "identical vertex index in face" - don't quite understand (so that must be it:)

But  you can still try with another cloth geometry (just to check) - if all goes fine than it means that that particular one is problematic.

edit:
"identical points in the face" - it means you have duplicated vertex in that obj. You coud try to clean this up with some modeling program - or change that figure one more time to an object.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.