Wed, Oct 2, 10:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: The Flying Scotsman Project

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 7:35 AM
Forum Moderator

Well, after getting the new hdd and unistalling/reinstalling Bryce several times - the latest without ANY content - I have only manged to get the Driver's cab load into Bryce once.
I have to say I'm getting very hacked off. Every time I open this file Bryce crashes and I'm almost at my wits end. I'm beginning to think that I've found Bryce's limitations because smaller, less complex files open up without any bother.

I'm sorry, but this is the reason I haven't been able to post any updates in recent weeks.

Ian_colletter: Thank you so much for the offer, but atm I'm stuck and photos are not going to help me. ;-(

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 9:53 AM

Well bryster...I think we may need Bryce 7 with these memory issues fixed,....sigh.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 10:13 AM · edited Mon, 12 January 2009 at 10:14 AM

Quote - Well, after getting the new hdd and unistalling/reinstalling Bryce several times - the latest without ANY content - I have only manged to get the Driver's cab load into Bryce once.
I have to say I'm getting very hacked off. Every time I open this file Bryce crashes and I'm almost at my wits end. I'm beginning to think that I've found Bryce's limitations because smaller, less complex files open up without any bother.

I'm sorry, but this is the reason I haven't been able to post any updates in recent weeks.

Ian_colletter: Thank you so much for the offer, but atm I'm stuck and photos are not going to help me. ;-(

did you try opening the file from the root of the drive? that way you minimalize the path length for images etc. maybe thats causing problems.

its weird if its a memory issue, because that would mean DAZ actually made bryce's memory management worse :-/ this is very unusual

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 5:17 PM

Wondering out loud, would someone at Daz tech support be wiling to try opening the file, if you were to sent it to them.?

Tell them you are TheBryster, a Cardinal and live on Mars.  (maybe forget the Mars part)

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 5:25 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks Willie, but the file is like 200mbs. I'm not sure they would want to hasve to d/l that.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 6:06 PM

im sure i have saved files more then twice that size in the past! damn.. daz really did fuck up :-|

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

marcfx ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 2:41 PM

Oh Bryster
What a time to go tits up!............I've only come back on here to see what has happened over the build and to find your so close to the end only to find you have this damn problem.

I really hope you get it sorted as I know what its like to get so engrossed in the making and then drastic computer problems.

Wishing you all the best Chris.
Marc ;)

Smile, your dead a long time :)

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 3:06 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks, Marc.
It really is a pain. Seems I have nothing but trouble with this. The Crystal Palace never caused me this much bother. Sure, it took 12 hours just to SAVE but I never had trouble loading it up.

marcfx ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 3:09 PM

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you mate.
Good luck
Marc ;)

Smile, your dead a long time :)

Rayraz ( ) posted Sun, 01 February 2009 at 3:21 PM

hope u'll be able to figure things out..

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 2:12 AM

Attached Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/4550247/Tornado-steam-train-arrives-a

If they can rebuild an actual train from nothing but plans, then you should be able to pull off your feat of Brycing. Hopefully the wierdness gets solved.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

pumeco ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 4:05 PM

Chris, dunno if this will help but Bryce does have technical problems when the presets are missing.  Did you re-install all four of the preset installers as well as Bryce itself ?

If you didn't you'll get problems, crashes, etc.

Either way, I hope you sort it.
This must be seriously maddening after all that work.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 08 February 2009 at 4:34 PM
Forum Moderator

Hi, Pumey!
There's a thought. I'll have a look!
Thanks!

Boofy ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 5:43 PM

Is Cydonia experienceing any unusual climatic conditions that may be affecting Bryce? Solar flares etc???
:lol:

Boofy ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 5:47 PM

or has a heretic pulled out a plug or two?:tt2:

Seriously though hope u sort it out, it is such a great project. Have u thought of seeing any of your new bits and peices are clashing with Bryce at all? A graphics card or something maybe??

ian_colette ( ) posted Fri, 20 February 2009 at 7:19 PM

Just an update on the real thing; the new boiler was fitted to the chassis last week, but I'm not sure if there's any other new parts needed, or if they can start putting it all back together now.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 21 February 2009 at 8:41 AM
Forum Moderator

Thanks, Ian. I'd like to start putting mine back together. ;-(

pumeco ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 1:42 PM

Didn't work then, sorry to hear that Brystie :-(

Do you have two copies of the file?

If you do, you could narrow down the problem a bit.  See, if you saved only one file and that is the file you're trying to load on the new hard disk, then it might be corrupted.  The thing is, if you have a second copy as well, and that file has the same problem then that could actually be a good sign.

If you had one file and it was corrupted, that's tough.  But if you have two files and they 'both' aren't working then that probably means that the file isn't corrupt after all.  If that's the case then there's probably been a dodgy file installation somewhere along the line and your project file could be perfectly ok.

If you want, I'll test it for you on my laptop, and if it works, then you only need to worry about doing a new installation.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 5:33 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks, Pummy! I got an idea from a couple of guys, BamBam for one. I'm going to try building n 6.1 and assembling in 5.5.  The problem seemingly the actualy size of the files and 6.1s memory limits. Appreciate the offer though.

pumeco ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 9:22 AM

No prob's Brystie, I hope you sort it 🆒

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 23 March 2009 at 3:02 PM
Forum Moderator

Well I got B5.5 & B6.1 installed on my newly repaired pc. And getting 2TBs of Hdds uploaded is no joke, I can tell you. I should be able to start working again soon. I'm going to try following BamBams' methodology to see I can get my loco files to work now. Here's hoping.

Ang25 ( ) posted Mon, 23 March 2009 at 3:23 PM

Wishing you good luck!

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 23 March 2009 at 4:27 PM

fingers are crossed for ya

Boofy ( ) posted Tue, 24 March 2009 at 12:35 AM

this little heretic is xxxxing fingers and toes 4 u brycie. :woot:

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 01 April 2009 at 6:16 AM
Forum Moderator

It works!!!  I got my files open in B6 and I've started saving individual sections to Bryce's objects library. It should be a doddle to load them into B5 and begin assembly there.

What helped was my son making adjustments to the paging size thingy as well.

And I have to say a big thanks to you guys for your support and encouragement, and all the ideas.

Rayraz ( ) posted Wed, 01 April 2009 at 8:01 AM

Awesome! I would suggest thou to save the sections out as seperate bryce scenes instead of bryce objects libraries. the object libraries have had the tendency to become corrupted when storing complex models ever since bryce 3d. Maybe bryce 2 had the same problem as well, i dont know, but back in the B2 days my models werent so complex yet.. lol

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2009 at 1:36 AM

YAAAAAAY...thud...oops Boofy just tripped over her crossed fingers and toes leaping for joy for brycie :wub:

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 03 May 2009 at 10:03 AM
Forum Moderator

I'm hoping to get you guys an update soon. Lots of real world stuff going on atm.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 2:59 PM

no prob, we're all waiting patiently ;-)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 8:35 PM

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

lornix ( ) posted Sat, 16 May 2009 at 2:36 AM

Epic bump for this one!

Incredible modeling!

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 8:30 AM · edited Mon, 22 June 2009 at 8:30 AM
Forum Moderator

Well here's where we're at. I've started stripping down the component parts of the driver's cab and saving the individual bits to the objects library of B6.  I then take the library and load it into Bryce 5s object library. Now because I recorded the positions of each object, I am able to place each part into the correct position to re-create the driver's cab in B5. B6 is slower than slug spit so this is taking an age to do, but once in B5 things are pretty damn quick. This view is the cab so far re-built in B5. Enjoy.

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 8:45 PM

ohhhhh can i make the whistle blow...awwww you havent got it in yet :crying:
nice work Brycie

50parsecs ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 10:17 PM

Boofy, I'd almost think you were sounding suggestive, if I didn't know what a sweet, pure girl you are. ;-)

50parsecs ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 10:22 PM

BTW, nice work TB. It sounds like you have established an effective way to recreate your original project.
I must admit that in most ways I still like Bryce 5-5.5 best. I like to animate textures and terrains a lot. Did they ever fix those particular bugs in 6.0?

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:37 AM

Good to know that all that hard work is rescueable, it would be awful to think otherwise. 

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 10:56 AM
Forum Moderator

*Did they ever fix those particular bugs in 6.0?

I have no clue. :lol:

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 12:04 PM

No, you still cannot animate materials in Bryce6 like you can in Bryce 5.5

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

50parsecs ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 1:26 PM · edited Tue, 23 June 2009 at 1:27 PM

Thanks FranOnTheEdge. I thought so.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 28 June 2009 at 2:56 PM
Forum Moderator

I'm celebrating! I just finished stripping down the Cab in B6 and saving the parts to my B5.5 objects library. I'm now ready to continue re-building the cab in B5.5 !!!!!

50parsecs ( ) posted Sun, 28 June 2009 at 3:33 PM

Great news!  I'm looking forward to your progress on this.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 8:41 AM

awesome stuff Bryster! Now make sure you backup that object library file regularly because large object libraries have a tendency to go corrupt :-/ 
In fact, I'd even go as far as to suggest you save the parts of the scotsman in separate bryce scene files instead, which you could then merge in order to combine them. In my experience that approach is more reliable the object libraries (those libs screwed me over more then once!)

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 10 July 2009 at 5:44 PM
Forum Moderator

Just a quick update. Rebuilding in B5.5 well underway now.

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 12 July 2009 at 7:06 AM

Looking Good!

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 18 July 2009 at 10:42 AM · edited Sat, 14 November 2009 at 5:39 PM
Forum Moderator

Another update. I've re-loaded all the items that make up the engineer's cab/footplate in B5.5. In fact I'm a little bit ahead of where I was when I started having problems loading up this file in B6.1.  So far - fingers crossed - I have had no problems loading up in B5.5. I will now be creating new parts in B6.1 and transfering them to B5.5 which does seem to handle large (I mean huge) files better than B6.1. This file is 380mb !! Errors do creep in now and again and I have to triple check everything. I've also learned a bit about creating alpha channel images (not sure if that's the correct term) so the numbers on the side are now 2D objects - the area surrounding the numbers being transparent - instead of cubes as they were previously. C&Cs welcome and I thank you all for keeping the faith.

Ang25 ( ) posted Sat, 18 July 2009 at 11:14 AM

Insane, lol. Keep up the good work. It's amazing!

50parsecs ( ) posted Sat, 18 July 2009 at 1:40 PM

Amazingly intricate detail!

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sat, 18 July 2009 at 4:23 PM

Pure madness - it's still a major achievement.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

ian_colette ( ) posted Sun, 19 July 2009 at 8:21 PM

Looking good, glad you've got everything back together again.  Not sure what the current situation is with the real thing, I haven't been to the museum for a while (it's so far away, after all ;) )/

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 17 August 2009 at 11:04 AM · edited Mon, 17 August 2009 at 11:06 AM
Forum Moderator

Just another update. I'm tidying up the boiler now. Correcting some errors with the shape and creating the awkward bits - below the red guidlines. With most of the driver's cab complete I can concentrate on putting the whole loco back together now in B5.5. Sorry for the crappy pic.  C&Cs welcome. Click for the bigger pick.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.