Sun, Sep 15, 11:53 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 7:30 pm)

Subject: What program do you use to create/render your 3D art?

westonmi ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 11:26 AM · edited Tue, 27 August 2024 at 7:32 PM

Out of curiosity about what you people out there are using to create/render your artworks, I put together this little poll. Please vote only once.  ;)

http://www.3d-kitty.com/polls/

Since this set-up only allows 1 choice please select the program you use the most.  ;)

Note: Programs in the list are ones that have render engines and can use/import Poser/DS content that are commonly used by this community.

And since I don't visit the Rendo forums that often feel free to drop by the poll thread in the DAZ forums if you have any questions.  ;)

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 11:39 AM

unable to answer that poll.... none of the programs I use to render in are there lol

(TrueSpace, Sketchup/Indigo - I only use poser for posing)

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 1:21 PM

Really surprised at the top one up to now!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 1:29 PM

I'm not. the poll was probably posted over at Daz first.....

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 1:32 PM

Agree with thefixer, big surprize.

westonmi ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 2:02 PM

Quote - I'm not. the poll was probably posted over at Daz first.....

Actually it was, but only by several hours (I had to crash or have a bad case of QWERTY face).  ;)  The poll is open for 9 days so we'll see how things go as more people see the poll.

lornix ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 3:10 PM

Can't say I'm surprised. DS is free ;-).

What does surprise me though is the poor showing of some of the other more popular apps. Again, most likely due to the price points.

I voted for P7 even though I use 3DS Max almost as much. Really depends on what type of scene I want to render. Sometimes easier to bring props into Poser, and sometimes easier to bring figures into 3DS.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 3:49 PM

It's free but ... without plug ins !

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

lornix ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 4:28 PM

Ha ha, good point!

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 9:52 PM

The forums here are more tech minded and or serious-professional (excluding Gordon's toons and the threads about cats and Alan Alda look-a-likes :lol: ). At daz it is more social and they are huge defenders and protectors of the company flag, so one would expect their activisim to skew the numbers.

Rendo's or these forums are not joined at the hip to Poser like the Daz forums to DS or Carrara. CP's forums get low traffic compared to both of these.

What would be interesting is you just wanted to compare DS to Poser is for Daz to cough up their download numbers for a product where they split the DL into poser and DS content. But do to extremely poor customer service issues I have cut way back on what I purchase from Daz compared to here and or elsewhere.

Plus Eon got hosed in that survey, becuase they listed every version of Vue known to man, instead of just saying Vue period, like they did for as an example for C4D or 3DMax.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 9:57 PM

Ahem  Let's not turn this into a site-bashing thread.  Westonmi has posted a poll, you're free to vote on it or not if you want. 

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Wed, 22 April 2009 at 10:27 PM · edited Wed, 22 April 2009 at 10:28 PM

Just the sheer fact that Max and Vue are nowhere near the top reflects peps ignorance (or something). Both of those apps can destoy renders by the others.
But that wasn't the question of the poll...I digress.

Yes, the poll does seem to reflect a DAZ trend and could quite possibly be someone baiting those over here. Silly wars that should stop. Not saying that the OP is baiting, I just get tired of the pushing and shoving. 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

jfbeute ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2009 at 12:55 AM

The subject suggested a split between creating and rendering. But only a single program could be selected. For me that caused a bit of a problem. Currently I am using Poser Pro most for creating (with some support programs for modeling, mapping and painting) but using Vue 7 Infinite for final creation, lighting, landscaping and rendering (to get a consistent quality I use this for all renders). Only the lack of dynamic cloth made Vue win over Carrara.
With every new version of the set of programs I reconsider my options so the current preference might change when a new version comes out. As a hobby and only creating 3D graphics for personal enjoyment I just can't afford the more expensive programs (which give a slightly better result with a somewhat reduced effort).

westonmi ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2009 at 1:18 AM

Quote - Plus Eon got hosed in that survey, becuase they listed every version of Vue known to man, instead of just saying Vue period, like they did for as an example for C4D or 3DMax.

You can blame that on Flak for telling me that the Vue option should be broke down by version like the Poser, Carrara and Bryce options were.  ;)

Quote - Yes, the poll does seem to reflect a DAZ trend and could quite possibly be someone baiting those over here. Silly wars that should stop. Not saying that the OP is baiting, I just get tired of the pushing and shoving. 😉

Baiting?  Nope, no intentions of baiting anyone either here or any other site.  ;)  The poll was done out of simple curiousity of what people in the community are using...nothing more and nothing less.  

westonmi ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2009 at 2:25 AM

After 1 Day and 2 hours we have the following tally...

Total votes: 194

DAZ Studio - 78 votes (40.21%)
Poser - 73 votes (37.63%)
Carrara - 17 votes (8.78%)
Vue - 13 votes (6.74%)
C4D - 7 votes (3.61%)
3DS Max - 2 votes (1.03%)
Bryce - 2 votes (1.03%)
Lightwave - 1 votes (0.52%)
Maya - 1 votes (0.52%)

Again thanks to all those who have voted. :)

jfbeute, the ability to only select 1 option is a limitation of the poll script.  I am looking into doing another poll where the options list more than 1 program, but as you can imagine with all the programs that we can use the variations are quite numerous.  o.o

BlackSpartan ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2009 at 3:09 AM

Maybe a multi-tier poll, with several questions, "create" "Render" "Modelling" etc?

I'm going to get off my soapbox now, and let you get back to your day

westonmi ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 12:20 AM

After 2 days and 0 hours we have the following tally...

Total votes: 275

DAZ Studio - 109 votes (39.63%)
Poser - 107 votes (38.91%)
Carrara - 24 votes (8.72%)
Vue - 15 votes (5.45%)
C4D - 8 votes (2.91%)
Bryce - 5 votes (1.81%)
3DS Max - 4 votes (1.45%)
Lightwave - 2 votes (0.73%)
Maya - 1 votes (0.52%)

Again thanks to all those who have voted.  :)

jugoth ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 1:08 PM · edited Fri, 24 April 2009 at 1:10 PM

May be its the price of the diff aps that effects the voting, and yes i have seen a poser scene render with vray in 3d max that blew vue away.
Its down to what people can afford and after all if you look at some of the vue postings they have had heavy Photoshop work.
Lots off diff programs have people use art programs but the vote is by people who can afford certain stuff.
Biggest laugh i had was how on the vue propaganda board on rendo some people rant on about how many figures they have in scene.
1 shop down here an artist showed 1 chap how to cheat using vue and Photoshop, and he had a scene with 40 v4s in it, the guy was blown away until the artist showed him how to cheat and get the 40 v4s.
Then the guy realized take vue message board with a pinch of salt.
But i degres people who vote in poll only say what program they can afford to use as a lot of people cant afford spend lot of money..

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 1:33 PM

ahem

Can we also not take pot shots at other forums, whether they're here or elsewhere?  "Purists" anywhere need to be taken with a grain of salt, but calling it propaganda is a bit much, methinks.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

westonmi ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 9:48 AM

After 3 days and 9 hours we have the following tally...

Total votes: 311

DAZ Studio - 123 votes (39.55%)
Poser - 120 votes (38.58%)
Carrara - 27 votes (8.68%)
Vue - 19 votes (6.11%)
C4D - 9 votes (2.89%)
Bryce - 6 votes (1.93%)
3DS Max - 4 votes (1.29%)
Lightwave - 2 votes (0.64%)
Maya - 1 votes (0.32%)

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 5:47 PM

Hm, Vue is what I use and it rocks :)
I bought Carrara 5 Pro, Lightwave 9, XSI but just don't have time health to learn/use 'em, alas,I got Carrara to see the difference between it and Vue, mostly, as Bryce still has tricks Vue doesn't, always good to learn!

Lightwave is the least painful of the "big" apps to learn, IMHO.

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Paloth ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 10:17 PM

Try importing 40 V4s into 3d Max. That should be good for a few laughs.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

westonmi ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 8:29 AM

After 4 days and 8 hours we have the following tally...

Total votes: 356

DAZ Studio - 138 votes (38.77%)
Poser - 135 votes (37.92%)
Carrara - 31 votes (8.70%)
Vue - 24 votes (6.73%)
Bryce - 11 votes (3.09%)
C4D - 9 votes (2.53%)
3DS Max - 5 votes (1.40%)
Lightwave - 2 votes (0.56%)
Maya - 1 votes (0.28%)

westonmi ( ) posted Mon, 27 April 2009 at 8:30 AM

After 5 days and 3 hours we have the following tally...

Total votes: 410

Poser - 149 votes (36.34%)
DAZ Studio - 142 votes (34.64%)
Carrara - 36 votes (8.77%)
Bryce - 35 votes (8.54%)
Vue - 26 votes (6.34%)
C4D - 11 votes (2.68%)
3DS Max - 6 votes (1.46%)
Lightwave - 3 votes (0.73%)
Maya - 2 votes (0.49%)

Again thanks to all those who have voted.  ;) 

Plutom ( ) posted Mon, 27 April 2009 at 9:17 AM

Whew!  I just voted in your poll, of those listed, I selected Vue 5 Esprit.  However I use Carrara 5 Pro (not listed) as my main source for creating buildings space craft, houses, furniture etc.  People, well I need Poser 5 using DAZ figures and Rendo's vast variety of free face and body morphs created by talented people using Z brush.  Finally I use Vue 5 Esprit for importing Carrara and Poser because I like the water, foliage, sky, clouds, and lighting system.  Then I use PaintShop Pro ver 7 for touch ups and after thought objects.

Basically, I like to make, as much as possible, stuff  myself.

As much as possible means inorganic stuff,  animals, people, and anything organic above the blob stage is above my level.  Jan 

westonmi ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2009 at 11:22 AM

After 6 days and 9 hours we have the following tally...

Total votes: 482

Poser - 173 votes (35.88%)
DAZ Studio - 160 votes (33.20%)
Bryce - 57 votes (11.83%)
Carrara - 39 votes (8.09%)
Vue - 29 votes (6.02%)
C4D - 11 votes (2.28%)
3DS Max - 6 votes (1.24%)
Lightwave - 4 votes (0.83%)
Maya - 3 votes (0.62%)

Again thanks to all those who have voted.  ;)

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2009 at 12:48 PM

Quote - It's free but ... without plug ins !

I'm a Poser 6 user.
However, while Daz|Studio is free and you have to purchase the plugins for what you want to use, the fact that the plugins are a-la-carte gives you the option of purchasing only those features that you really want access to. 

Also, I saw in a mailing that there is now a cloth room plugin for dynamic cloth.  That will make the program even more appealing.

I've tried Daz|Studio, but I can't get my head wrapped around the interface. But then again I'm really stupid when it comes to learning programs and it took me more than a year to figure out Poser and a full 6 months before I actually managed to get a figure dressed, posed and rendered and that was only with the help of someone finally walking me through the whole process.

I'll stick with Poser and save myself the frustration of trying to learn another program that essentially does what Poser does.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

westonmi ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2009 at 8:52 AM

After 7 days and 5 hours we have the following tally...

Total votes: 514

Poser - 183 votes (35.60%)
DAZ Studio - 168 votes (32.69%)
Bryce - 67 votes (13.03%)
Carrara - 41 votes (7.96%)
Vue - 29 votes (5.62%)
C4D - 12 votes (2.33%)
3DS Max - 6 votes (1.17%)
Lightwave - 5 votes (0.97%)
Maya - 3 votes (0.58%)

Again thanks to all those who have voted.  ;)

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2009 at 10:08 AM

It was hard for me to pick just one, but I settled on Carrara, because that's what I really render with nowadays. I still use Poser for a lot of setting up characters still, especially for assigning morphs, or building complete characters with clothing and hair. I also do a lot of things with POV-Ray still, too. I still use Wings for modeling, and I have yet to find a modeler I like better. I create a lot of morphs with Wings for custom poses that I can't quite get otherwise, so I s'pose it should count.

Has the poll been advertised elsewhere? I wish now that there were more questions on the poll, like what you consider your skill level to be, what you do for a living, whether you use the products professionally...

I guess I'm just a sucker for data, though. 😄

This is fun, I like it.

westonmi ( ) posted Fri, 01 May 2009 at 7:15 AM

Sorry about not posting the tally for yesterday, but got distracted by the dynamic cloth in DS. ;)

So we have 2 days worth of tallies for you! :twisted:

After 8 days and 4 hours we have the following tally...

Total votes: 536

Poser - 195 votes (36.38%)
DAZ Studio - 173 votes (32.27%)
Bryce - 70 votes (13.06%)
Carrara - 42 votes (7.84%)
Vue - 30 votes (5.60%)
C4D - 12 votes (2.24%)
3DS Max - 6 votes (1.12%)
Lightwave - 5 votes (0.93%)
Maya - 3 votes (0.56%)

After 9 days and 5 hours we have the following final tally...

Total votes: 547

Poser - 200 votes (36.57%)
DAZ Studio - 176 votes (32.17%)
Bryce - 72 votes (13.16%)
Carrara - 42 votes (7.67%)
Vue - 30 votes (5.47%)
C4D - 13 votes (2.38%)
3DS Max - 6 votes (1.10%)
Lightwave - 5 votes (0.91%)
Maya - 3 votes (0.55%)

Unfortunately we had a few people vote multiple times over several days so the results are off a bit (I'm guessing by about 5%). :(  

Again thanks to all those who have voted. ;)

I'm open to suggestions for other polls you would like to see. :)

Flak ( ) posted Sat, 02 May 2009 at 5:28 AM · edited Sat, 02 May 2009 at 5:40 AM

Quote -

Quote - Plus Eon got hosed in that survey, becuase they listed every version of Vue known to man, instead of just saying Vue period, like they did for as an example for C4D or 3DMax.

You can blame that on Flak for telling me that the Vue option should be broke down by version like the Poser, Carrara and Bryce options were.  ;)

Guilty as charged on that one. Besides, E-on deserve to get hosed for having a different Vue flavour for every day of the month :D

Actually, I thought that there would be enough Vue respondants to create some interesting information on what versions/flavours of Vue that the poser/DS users tend to use when they choose to use Vue. I was sort of surprised that there weren't more Vue responses.

The reason I didn't bug Westonmi that C4D/Maya/3DSMax should also be split on version/flavour grounds like some of the others was because I didn't think there'd be enough users of those apps responding to produce any interesting information by splitting it up. At least it looks like I wasn't too far off on that count.

Sort of related.... A while back (Feb 8, 2009) I did a quick survey on what was being posted to some of the galleries at Rosity.

Bryce - 80
Poser - 493
Vue - 124
Rhino - 8
Carrara - 25
C4D - 54
Mojoworld - 8
Lightwave - 12
MixedMedium - 62
Photography - 525
Daz Studio - 201

Those are the numbers of pages of images posted in the various apps' galleries in the 45 days prior to when I made that list (using whatever the default settings are in user prefs).  While these numbers don't take into account how slow/fast it is to do something in a given app, the quality, whether they're wips or completed images, or anything beyond being just numbers of images posted, I think they provide another rough way to get an idea to what people are "using" at Rosity. (I can't emphasize rough enough)

edit - at the moment there are 66!!!! pages of 3dsmax and 18 in Maya.....

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.