Sun, Sep 15, 11:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: New 3D artist magazine with Carrara 6.2

artbyphil ( ) posted Fri, 27 March 2009 at 11:32 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 1:21 AM

I just noticed there’s another new magazine out here in the UK called 3D artist magazine. I see its got Carrara 6.2 pro free on the disc. Just thought I’d mention it in case somebody hasn’t managed to get a copy of digital arts that had it on.

The mag looks pretty good actually, seems 3d world has got a rival. 

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 27 March 2009 at 11:51 AM

I can vouch for the quality of the Carrara article. ;-)

geep ( ) posted Fri, 27 March 2009 at 12:12 PM

Quote - I just noticed there’s another new magazine out here in the UK called 3D artist magazine. I see its got Carrara 6.2 pro free on the disc. Just thought I’d mention it in case somebody hasn’t managed to get a copy of digital arts that had it on.

The mag looks pretty good actually, seems 3d world has got a rival. 

NEW ???
From the website:
Issue #47 is 3D Artist magazine's final issue

New??? vs Final Issue ???

Sorry, I'm confused. ... :huh:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

tlc ( ) posted Fri, 27 March 2009 at 12:25 PM

LOL, you got the wrong site. Try www.3dartistonline.com/ instead ;)

Create Poser Mats for free in DS3

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 27 March 2009 at 12:26 PM

Try this one instead: http://www.3dartistonline.com/

raven ( ) posted Fri, 27 March 2009 at 6:54 PM

Still only the Windows version though in case Mac users wanted it.

50parsecs ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2009 at 3:34 AM

Thanks! This will increase my odds of being able to snag a copy of Carrara6 Pro.

holyforest ( ) posted Sat, 28 March 2009 at 4:34 AM

Quote -  Try this one instead: http://www.3dartistonline.com/

Good to know!

---------------------------------------
Holyforest,
Hundreds of shaders for Carrara

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 09 April 2009 at 1:01 PM

Anybody see it stateside yet? I managed to spot two different issues of the magazine at Borders here, but one only had Carrara 5.1 Pro and the other had Toon Boom PLE. But no Carrara 6.2 Pro. What should I be looking for on the cover?

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

artbyphil ( ) posted Thu, 09 April 2009 at 1:13 PM

file_428252.jpg

This is a picture of the cover. 

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 2:44 AM

The Digital Arts (April 2009) issue with Carrara Pro 6 arrived in bookstores yesterday in the States.  3D Artist arrives Stateside in two more weeks.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 10 April 2009 at 2:48 AM

Quote - Still only the Windows version though in case Mac users wanted it.

Keep an eye out for art and 3D magazines for the Mac.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2009 at 3:39 AM

Oh.  And be sure to get Mark Bremmer's VTC training CD on Carrara 6 Pro.  Probably the best Carrara training there is.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Sun, 12 April 2009 at 4:38 AM

Hear, hear. I've found it worthwhile to get a subscription at VTC, not only for those great tutorials, but for a lot of other software I have. Great service, that.

InfoCentral ( ) posted Mon, 13 April 2009 at 6:46 PM

I also like his tutorials on Anime Studio Pro as well.  I too have a subscription to VTC.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 23 April 2009 at 9:24 PM

Still not here yet... Now I somewhat know how the other side of the pond feels about some DVD or movie releases and the such. A bit funny too, since I'm waiting on software from a Utah based company to come back on a CD attached to a UK mag and be trucked from New York or Norfolk to get it here in the midwest.

For now, I'm just going to wait another week. Still, if anyone sees it stateside before then - post an update. (It's funny how things like this seem like waiting on a prize, especially when short on cash to buy the software the normal way.)

Barbequed Pixels?

50parsecs ( ) posted Fri, 24 April 2009 at 1:28 AM

I've had my copy for about a week now and everything installed like a champ, complete with content and PDF manual. I've been really enjoying Carrara6 Pro's added features. Love using hair for grass, the improved physics, and messing with the ocean primitive. Haven't tried the displacement painting yet, 

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 25 April 2009 at 7:51 PM

Barnes & Nobles in California are stocked now with issue #1.

e-brink ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 11:57 AM

I bought that magazine a couple of weeks ago England just for general 3D interest. It's excellent!!! I'm going to subscribe.

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2009 at 1:50 AM · edited Wed, 06 May 2009 at 1:58 AM

I've had C6 Std. since its launch, then bought the magazine last weekend and have to say,...wow,...very powerful program to have on a magazine disk. I know Blender and tS 7.6 are free, but imho and what I've seen in Blender and used in tS, they aren't anywhere near as easy to use(plus Carrara has direct content support). It is Windows only and no render nodes, but at this price, no problem, lol. Even if I can't upgrade the mag version, it will be enough to keep me going for a very long time. 😄

Raven78 ( ) posted Tue, 19 May 2009 at 4:53 AM

Hi folks, I also got the 6.2 Version and have a question: Can I use stuff for Carrara 7 in it? I'm interested in the japanese garden bundle from Daz, but I'm not sure if it is compatible, since in the description it says, it's for Carrara 7 Pro. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance :)

50parsecs ( ) posted Tue, 19 May 2009 at 2:47 PM

I recently got the 6.2 ver. as well and wanted to purchase the "Secret Lake", but only if I could open it in 6.2. I checked the product Wiki http://artzone.daz3d.com/wiki/doku.php/azproduct/7265
and found that most of HowieFarkes's scenes are compatible with ver. 6.2 even though they are advertised as being for ver. 7,  The Secret Lake scene installed with no problems, and renders well. The Japanese Garden set is iffy though. The Wiki for it is incomplete, so I'm not sure it will work with ver. 6.2. You might shoot Howie an IM and ask him.

Pol ( ) posted Tue, 19 May 2009 at 3:45 PM

Hi guys,

Yesterday, I've got Carrara 5.1 Pro from PC Authority (Australia) and you guys version 6.2....!!!!!
Is there a huge difference between 5.1 and 6.2...?  I don't know anything about Carrara.
Which version of  Carrara works best with Poser 7..?
Thanks

pauljs75 ( ) posted Tue, 19 May 2009 at 5:40 PM

6.2 Adds...

• Hair
  • Full angles for rotation animation, not just quaternary. (The rotation mode is noticable when keyframing objects that rotate 180° or more. In quaternary based rotation, a turn of 180° or -180° doesn't make a difference. Instead you'd have to add a keyframe at the halfway point and turn 90° to control which way around something goes. Also you'd have to use 5 keyframes to do a full 360° turn.)
  • Non-linear animation (walk cycles or different poses)
  • Ocean primitive
  • And a few new shader channels (finer control over transparancy/translucency or something like that.)
  • File compatability (Not sure if it's possible to save to an older format, so more .car files only work with newer versions.)

There may be some other things, but those are the most noticable. I upgraded via the magazine myself not too long ago. For most everything else, 5.1 Pro is still very good. I'd advise using it until you're able to upgrade, because then you'll waste less time learning the whole app and instead only figuring out what the newer features do.

Barbequed Pixels?

mathman ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 4:28 AM

Digital Arts April 2009 edition finally arrived in the land of Oz this week. Naturally, I pounced on it straight away and look forward to having a bit of a play with it.

Bit surprised that there is no discount offer to upgrade to v7 (these sort of discounts are very frequently offered with the cover software), neither was there a tutorial (once again very frequently featured in the magazine).

Now, I have a question. If you have Carrara 6 Pro which you get from one of these magazines, does DAZ recognize your purchase ? This is important, for example, if they offer a special on an upgrade from v6 Pro to v7 Pro.

Pol ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 4:53 AM

Quote - 6.2 Adds...

• Hair
  • Full angles for rotation animation, not just quaternary. (The rotation mode is noticable when keyframing objects that rotate 180° or more. In quaternary based rotation, a turn of 180° or -180° doesn't make a difference. Instead you'd have to add a keyframe at the halfway point and turn 90° to control which way around something goes. Also you'd have to use 5 keyframes to do a full 360° turn.)
  • Non-linear animation (walk cycles or different poses)
  • Ocean primitive
  • And a few new shader channels (finer control over transparancy/translucency or something like that.)
  • File compatability (Not sure if it's possible to save to an older format, so more .car files only work with newer versions.)

There may be some other things, but those are the most noticable. I upgraded via the magazine myself not too long ago. For most everything else, 5.1 Pro is still very good. I'd advise using it until you're able to upgrade, because then you'll waste less time learning the whole app and instead only figuring out what the newer features do.

Thank you very much, it's very clear.
How about which version of  Carrara  works best with Poser 7 ..  5 or 6 or 7..?
Thanks

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 9:58 AM

Quote - How about which version of  Carrara  works best with Poser 7 ..  5 or 6 or 7..?

That's a (little) bit like asking which goes better with steak, the vanilla or the chocolate milkshake. :biggrin:

For importing, I like C7 the best, because it can import Poser content natively, without the need of a separate program or plugin. However, I'm told by people that use it that the separate import (TransPoser) does a better job.

I've never heard of anyone that accepts the imported shader settings from a Poser file, regardless of the Carrara version. Shader nodes in Poser are made for Poser's renderers, and they work differently from Carrara (you'll find that bump, highlight, and shininess especially need tweaking after you do the import).

The current release (7.1.1) has a few stability problems, most of which should be fixed soon. I know a lot of people who continue to use C6 because of this. Myself, I'd rather have all the latest features, so I'll always recommend getting the latest version. Also, if you can afford it, I'd get the Pro version over Standard or Express, because sooner or later you'll be wanting something mentioned in the manual or a tutorial, only to find that it's a "Pro only" feature.

Hope that's helpful. 😄

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 2:50 PM

Quote - Digital Arts April 2009 edition finally arrived in the land of Oz this week. Naturally, I pounced on it straight away and look forward to having a bit of a play with it.

Bit surprised that there is no discount offer to upgrade to v7 (these sort of discounts are very frequently offered with the cover software), neither was there a tutorial (once again very frequently featured in the magazine).

Now, I have a question. If you have Carrara 6 Pro which you get from one of these magazines, does DAZ recognize your purchase ? This is important, for example, if they offer a special on an upgrade from v6 Pro to v7 Pro.

You can't register the serial number on DAZ's site.  They gave you a FULL version for crying out loud.  Still not good enough for some people.

Pol ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 3:02 PM

Thanks **CaptainJack1
**Yes you did answer my question.  Time to start learning Carrara.

mathman ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 4:39 PM

Quote - You can't register the serial number on DAZ's site.  They gave you a FULL version for crying out loud.  Still not good enough for some people.

My question was perfectly innocent. There's no need for that tone.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 20 May 2009 at 7:56 PM

You're right.  I apologize.

jrabbit ( ) posted Fri, 19 June 2009 at 6:37 PM

This was  a great deal for $15 , but not quite full version as its missing the aex plugin and rendernode setup , it would have been great even if you could not upgrade if daz had included these. To bad they dont recognize the serial for downloading these . 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.