Fri, Sep 20, 10:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: USGS DEM elevation usage in Vue6 Infinate

wushen ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 2:43 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:32 AM

I've been trying to figure out how to make this work with no luck...It seems USGS has changed their format from .dem or .ddf to SDTS,  on Geocommunity.com there are posts for creating Python Scripts to back convert to the older formats (which Vue uses) I tried to make sense of this conversion process, but have no working programming knowledge, and dont understand the language. I'm wondering if anyone has figured this out or has knowledge of where to obtain .dem or .ddf files....Ultimately I just want to be able to recreate specific accurate realworld terrains, so high res greyscale topographical maps could also work, but I've been unable to find any...I've been dorking around with creating greyscale elevations over captured jpegs from google Earth... the theory is sound, but the process is tedious at best and still requires serious editing in Vue (there's shelving) I could probably make better use of Photoshops smudge/blur functions hmmm... anyway...DEMS would be the best (most accurate) solution, but any links for topographical maps or workflow solutions would be appreciated

bruno021 ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 5:17 AM

Attached Link: http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html

Get 3Dem from the link load your data in it, and export in the usgs format. Thern import it in Vue.

wushen ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 4:05 PM

Thanks bruno that's a big help, the links there will be quite invaluable also. I'm wondering if you have any experience with the seamless map server site from the link, I cant seem to get wotkable DEMs from it. the 7.5 dems work well though

Arraxxon ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2009 at 10:36 AM

Following is a link to my Blog website - there i've wrote a tutorial describing a method and the steps to take - including screenshots for reference - to prepare DEM geological files to be used in Vue ...

outpostkilanor.blogspot.com/

Maybe this tutorial can be helpful in your task ...

SFGfx ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2009 at 10:54 AM · edited Thu, 07 May 2009 at 11:06 AM

Wushen, do you have Photoshop?  If so, there is a very easy workaround.  Loading DEM data into Vue is a pain.  It's better to use the GeoTiff as an image map for your terrain in the terrain editor.

The problem is that the original GeoTiff is a 32 bit image that has to be converted to a 16 bit image.  I know that PS can do it.  Not too sure about other image editors though.

I did a couple of video tutorials about the process if you are interested.  Youtube compressed the heck out of them, so the quality isn't the best and there is no audio.  But it should give you an idea of how the process works.

Downloading and converting DEM data

Loading GeoTiff data into Vue 6

HTH,

Mike

Arraxxon ( ) posted Fri, 08 May 2009 at 8:11 AM · edited Fri, 08 May 2009 at 8:12 AM

Sorry - just noticed - the link above to my blog points to the old blog site ...

Here is the new working one:

http://arraxxon.blogspot.com/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.