Thu, Sep 19, 9:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: What do merchants do with old discontinued items?

gagnonrich ( ) posted Sat, 09 May 2009 at 12:15 PM · edited Sat, 24 August 2024 at 12:32 PM

Every now and then, I wonder what happens with older items that get discontinued. Occasionally, I'll see merchants selling them on their own sites. For the most part, the older products just disappear.

I'm not sure why they don't get repackaged as low cost collections or why they aren't sold on other sites. If the merchant has given up ever expecting to make money on that item, I'm not sure why it's not just given away. It seems a shame that there are so many Poser products that will never get used because they're no longer marketable.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

Reisormocap ( ) posted Sat, 09 May 2009 at 12:44 PM

One of the terms of brokering on Renderosity is that an item will be discontinued if it has had no sales in a certain length of time. It cannot then be re-submitted unless there are substantial changes made to the product.

Since Renderosity spends time testing each submission, they don't want to keep re-testing items that they have already had for sale in the store and which have been discontinued.

Posermocap - Motion Capture animations for Poser and Daz3D.

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Sat, 09 May 2009 at 12:45 PM

Quote - Every now and then, I wonder what happens with older items that get discontinued. Occasionally, I'll see merchants selling them on their own sites. For the most part, the older products just disappear.

I'm not sure why they don't get repackaged as low cost collections or why they aren't sold on other sites. If the merchant has given up ever expecting to make money on that item, I'm not sure why it's not just given away. It seems a shame that there are so many Poser products that will never get used because they're no longer marketable.

You might want to check this link:  https://www.digitaldesignsunlimited.com/Market/ .
DDU is setting up a new store and the old store is now the called the basement.  When all is finished the basement will contain low cost and old items that have been pulled from the market.
Charisse is trying to get the word out to vendors that they can place old discontinued items there.
Like I said when finished the basement will contain items priced from $1.99 to $4.00 along with a free content area.
Hope this helps and feel free to pass the word along.

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 09 May 2009 at 12:53 PM

re DDU:  Very interesting!  Thanks for the tip.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

RealDeal ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2009 at 2:17 AM

Thanks for the tip on DDU; I've got a bunch of stuff I did up over the years that isn't listed anywhere, or that I gave up trying to submit here; I'll check it out.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2009 at 4:19 AM

That store is closed due to maintenance....is that normal, are they still in business?

gibby.g ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2009 at 4:49 AM

I've known sites do this. It's probably easier than doing the maintenance while the site is in use.

I'd keep checking back. If they're setting up a new store it may take a little while.

sixus1 ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2009 at 10:05 AM

Sometimes we bring things back but with updates. Then there are instances where we release what we call "vintage" packs or bundles that are a sort of walk down memory lane for us. The biggest reason we ever pull a product out of circulation is that over time our methods and quality level is always being pushed and there occasionally comes a point where I'll look at our catalog and just feel that something doesn't represent our work we as well as it once did. What usually happens is that it is pulled but if we get requests for it's return, we'll make a decision on the best way to do that. -Les

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2009 at 10:37 AM

Yes, I'm in the same boat as Les (keep your hands to yourself!) 😉

Methods change and quality goes up, what was once your best is now 4th or 5th. There will still be users who are interested in your products though. I'm thinking of bundeling up 2 or 3 products together...that way the buyer gets more bang for their buck! 😄

Comitted to excellence through art.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2009 at 9:05 PM · edited Sun, 10 May 2009 at 9:06 PM

The things I have that slips off the market here due to old age or just lack of sales is mostly still sold on PoserAddicts.com

A few VERY old things are just in the big nothingness... If someone REALLY want them enough to enquire, I am usually able to provide a link :)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

LadyElf ( ) posted Sun, 10 May 2009 at 10:10 PM

And sometimes, as was the case for my texture products, the actual model is pulled off the market so that made my products obselete.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.