Mon, Oct 7, 3:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: XP Corruption / Bryce and Work Project.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 7:08 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 3:30 PM

Well, I've been offline for a bit over a week now.  My Internet PC got corrupted, the registry just mangled.  None of my recover techniques worked, even an in-place install failed.  Long story short and a bit of formatting I'm back up and running, and now comes the slow process of putting everything back together.

Now about the Bryce and Work Project which is probably why you opened this thread. :)

I want to make a Power Point presentation depicting the Map of Canada... you might already guess where this is going.

I want to make all the Provinces come onto the screen in seperate pieces kind of like a jigsaw puzzle.

Here is what i have so far.

I found an outline of Canada and all of its provinces and used photoshop to chop them out and export them as Grayscale Bitmap.

I than imported each province into Bryce and used the Terrain editor....

So far I'm having sizing issues and aligning issues.  Some of the provinces are being shrunk to the limitation of the Terrain Boundry or something and so the pieces that should be larger are not.

nazul ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 7:41 PM

I don't think you can do it in that way - you have to have the whole map in at the same time - to avoid scaling and allignment issues - and i dont think you can do that in Bryce - you need to use a 3D modelling program which can "cut" and "Loft" your map then export each "chop" as a seperate waterfront or 3DS object but in one file - both waterfront and 3ds files can contain more than one object/mesh  - i think C4D and 3DMAX is able to do these things - maybe a guru here at r'osity knows how to  do that in one of the forementioned proggy's

Regards
Arne

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 5:16 AM

So maybe I should use Bryce to create a 3D Vesion of the Map and than export it and use something else to chop it up.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 6:47 AM

Or you can , forgive me for saying this, you can use Flash to create the map, if you have Flash...

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 7:11 AM

I want to give the map a 3D Look, I dont know how to use flash and not interested in buying/installing another piece of software.

I'm going to try and create it in Bryce and somehow chop it up elsewhere.

johnyf ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 10:36 AM

Analog. 
This is do-able. You say you have the outline to Canada and all it's provinces in Photoshop, well, just make a new layer and create a solid black box that is just bigger than Canada and place this below the outline layer as a base.
Next, make another layer and onto this paint in one of the provinces in white. Delete the outline layer, merge the black background and the province layer and export.
In Bryce create a terrain, go into the terrain editor, click new and load first photoshop image, use the clipper bracket so you are left with the province and return to scene, then, click the "A" attributes box and resize this the same as the exported photoshop image, if it's too large just reduce it down, keeping the same ratio.
Go back to photoshop and click the back button until the grid returns and repeat for each province.
In Bryce, duplicate (ctrl + d) the first terrain, go into the editor click new and load the next image.
Each province should then fall exactly into place and be the correct size!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 1:11 PM

johnyf: Awesome... I'll try it out later today and see how it works, and I will post my results.

johnyf ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 12:51 AM

Analog.

Since you already have the provinces in individual pieces, you could just make a black background for the Canada/Provinces outline(make this white), export this, use the clipper bracket to remove the background leaving the outline, go back into the scene, resize the same as it was exported out of photoshop, and position just above the ground. Then working from the top camera, bring in each province and position underneath the outline guide. You should soon have them all resized correctly!

johnyf ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 8:06 AM

LOL.....you know, this is even easier. If all the exported grey scale images you used for the individual provinces were to the same scale, all you have to do is resize each one to the dimensions of the exported grey scales!

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 1:50 PM

If I had somehow known about this earlier, I would have offered to make some .ai files by tracing the map and used those to make (Wavefront) .obj. But it's been taken care of already. At least it wasn't the 50 states.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 5:20 PM

When I tried to bring each individual Parts of the Map into Bryce as individual Pieces they all got scaled to fit whatever the Bryce Terrain editor square window is.

johnyf ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 5:44 PM · edited Thu, 14 May 2009 at 5:44 PM

That's correct, what you have to do now is resize each via the attributes box to the same size as the greyscale image used to produce them!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2009 at 7:52 PM

Late day at work didnt have time to work on it tonight, but I will tomorrow, and thanks for all the advice it is very much appreciated.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 17 May 2009 at 5:10 PM

file_431028.jpg

I went ahead and did the whole .ai to .obj conversion and some light cleanup. Just IM if you think it might be useful. I even UV'd everything but Nunavut, and that's because it kept crashing Wings 3D with all those islands. Of course it's still not 100% correct (way too many glacial erosion things going on), but should be recognizable.

Other than this thread, I'll probably end up selling this online somewhere since I don't have much use for a 3D map at the moment.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 17 May 2009 at 5:24 PM

WOW!!! :) hehehe... I'm still messing around with it, you make it look easy.

johnyf ( ) posted Mon, 18 May 2009 at 5:41 PM · edited Mon, 18 May 2009 at 5:42 PM

file_431069.jpg

Not to be outdone by wings, lol  ....a Bryce version. The best outline maps I found had northwest territories and nunavut combined, although it could be ammended.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Mon, 18 May 2009 at 6:24 PM

I just thought of something... we are doing terrains, but not. :)

johnyf ( ) posted Mon, 18 May 2009 at 6:36 PM

They are terrains...not sure what you meant there?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.