Tue, Oct 1, 11:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Need help with some dynamic clothing...

trac ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 7:02 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 11:17 PM

Attached Link: rendo dynamic cloth tutorial

found this excellent rendo tutorial on dynamic clothing and it works great

I had one little questions re some clothing though. For example V4s default sports top, when exporting and importing as obj, everything works fine. However, once simulated the seams seem to separate from the cloth, it appears the cloth and trims are setup as 2 different material groups.
I did use the 'weld' option when importing the obj file, but that doesn't appear to work even though the verticies seem to be intersecting? Is there a way to "really" weld them together so the materials parts stay together?

Alternatively is there a way to remove the seams (although the "welding" would be much preferred), because the cloth itself would actually work without the seams attached? I couldn't find a way to delete only the seams part of the clothing.

If anyone has further info on this that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Trac

lisarichie ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 9:42 PM

You can use either UVMapper or Compose to create a unified figure that actually joins the obj groups together to stop the separation you've mentioned. The best bit is that the maps are saved so the process is reversible if you wish to use the dynamically modified mesh as a morph for the conforming figure, at least when using Compose, not so strong on UVMapper usage.

EnglishBob's website hosts Compose,  a Java app, and UVMapper is available at www.uvmapper.com/

Like you I've had issues with the weld option, sometimes it works...other times.....well.:glare:

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 10:25 PM

You would want to look very closely at the mesh in modeller . Some clothing is built so that it works fine as conforming clothing but is not joined properly to survive a cloth simulation.

lisarichie ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 10:37 PM

Very true what markschum said, I was presuming you were already aware to do that first.

The Maya cloth info is a good read to get your head around the requirements for dynamic cloth.

caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/manual/MayaCloth/UserGuide/index.html

The tools are different but the theory transfers.

trac ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 10:55 PM

Attached Link: compose download link

thanks for the comments so far

uvmapper/ compose seem to do what I'm looking for.

So compose for example. I downloaded it, opened up the obj file with it. It does display the objects and materials. I assume I have to join the geometry vertices. When I do that it says 'has no geometry vertices that need joining'. Yeah... I'm doing something wrong aren't I?

... should I actually be using 'merge items' button.

Another thing:
It seems it's the materials that I should be joining rather than the objects... but when I select either of the materials I don't have the 'merge items' or 'join vertices' options.

Is there a quick guide somewhere out there that explains what I should be doing with Compose or UVMapper?

thanks.

trac ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 11:04 PM

oh and... 'looking closely at the mesh' does that mean to check if the vertices of the 2 materials intersect? when looking at V4s sportsbra it does look like that is the case?

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 11:49 PM

In this instance it is unlikely that the vertices of the cloth and seams are going to be close enough to be welded.

In the cloth room try assigning the seams to the soft_decorated group.  In this way they will tend to follow the cloth when the simulation is run.

trac ( ) posted Sat, 23 May 2009 at 12:11 AM

ok tried 2 things:

1. used compose to first merge 'chest' and 'abdomen' objects and the 'joined vertices', then saved new obj file, loaded into poser.... however now crashes every time when I try to run the simulation :(

2. tried assigning the 'trim' to soft_decorated group... surprise... surprise it worked!! :) ... I didn't expect it to work at all, but it looks perfect! (hope this works with other more intricate clothing as well) great tip and easy solution! Thanks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.