Thu, Sep 19, 5:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Installed new hard drive and computer running slow. Why?

lululee ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 1:51 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 3:50 PM

Hi,
  I had an external PC hardrive, western digital called "my book".
The plug in power supply quit so I put the drive in as an internal hard drive.
It is not the main drive.
It seems to me that my computer is running very slow since I did added it.
Is that possibel?
cheerio
lululee

HolyDiver ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 4:55 PM

Hey Lululee,
  I'm curious, did the "new" drive hook up as a parallel drive (40 pins, big thick cable) ? or a serial drive with the newer thin cable??? Are they on the same cable (master/slave setup) Some more
info such as original drive Type/Size/Speed or Rpm and XP or Vista OS would help. I think my "My
Book" is an older 7200 rpm Parallel drive. They make kits I think to convert old drives into USB drives. More info would be helpful. Have you double checked any jumper settings on the "new"
drive??? I'll try to check back later but more info would be helpful, even the brand name unless
you built this yourself. If so you may wanna check the manual on your mother board. Quite a good idea on your part doing this, kudos for that. (Were new power supplies that expensive, any
options on a generic power supply, some thing with different voltages and polarity at the drive
side of the supply??? Later......Holy Diver

Oh, you could always back up and punt, meaning disconnect the "new" one and make sure
everything is OK as originally thought. Just to be sure. You never know with Poser.....

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 5:53 PM
Online Now!

That kit is a USB, SATA hard drive adaptor kit.  You can find it @ Amazon.com and other computer hardware sites.  The beauty of it is that you can hook up any drive including laptop drives to your main computer.

lululee ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 6:32 PM

Hi,
Thanks so much for the great info.
I bought the drive at Costco at Christmas time.
I had a friend hook it up for me so I will forward this post to him and see if he can put the SATA kit in for me.
cheerio
lululee

lululee ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 6:44 PM

Hi,
Here is an odd update. I rebooted the computer and now that drive is not even showing up.
Grrrrrrr.
This is the second Western Digital drive tha tis less than 1 year old  year that has gotten flakey.
Hopefully the SATA kIt will at least let me access the drive.
cheerio
lululee

HolyDiver ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 7:45 PM

Now I'm worried haha........
I inquired in part because I have a "My Book" 500 gig. I've seen some interesting concerns
about them and some may be from here, maybe I should back it up to C: just in case. I do wonder
what was the interface you used when you installed it and what is your OS. Been wanting a
bigger one but do I want another "My Book"???Hmmmm

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 8:10 PM
Online Now!

I wouldn't think the drive has crapped out that quickly.  Do double-check the jumper settings for the main drive as well as the second.  Although default settings are fine for one primary drive, when you add a second drive, the primary jumper pin must be reset for Master.  The second drive logically must be set for slave.  If you boot into your bios configuration, both drives should be present.

Hdrider ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2009 at 8:48 PM

Hello,

I have a WD-10EAVS 1tb USB drive and it is very slow. Sometimes I think it is just sleeping. The access time is terrible. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I have a Seagate 1tb USB drive sitting right next to it and it is a cheetah compared.

I also have had drives "disappear" and a complete shutdown and restart usually works.

Anyways, good luck...

No good deed goes unpunished ...

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 11:21 PM

could be a whole raft of things.

If you're familiar with paths (at least in Windows), it may be searching both drives in order to find things...that can slow things down some.

another thing is capacity - if your C drive is almost full, hasn't been defragmented, etc., that can cause some slowness.

If you're running really intensive programs, you could be using up all your memory. That makes the HD 'pretend' to be memory, so that will take a major hit to your program. More memory, or increasing your page size might help.

Just for an experiment, power down, remove the mybook, and try the computer. If it's still slow, it's something else. If it speeds back up to 'normal'...it's time to call those wonderful people at tech support (if they don't charge your for it)

hope that helps.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2009 at 11:49 PM

Id go with Pakled's experiment. ;)

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

lululee ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2009 at 9:13 AM

Hi,
   My systems man is coming on Friday to check out the drives. For sure i am going with an internal terrabyte drive that is a  different brand than Wester Digital. We will try  USB, SATA hard drive adaptor kit on the "my book". I am hoping to get my data off the drive.
I will keep you posted as to the results.
cheerio
lululee

lululee ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 9:10 AM

Here is an update on my Western Digital drive problem.
It seems it is constantly overheating. When it overheats, it loses it's connection to the computer and becomes unreadable. I am running it in very short time frames and transferring files. Then I have to shut it down, let it cool off and restart the process. It was my backup drive and contains 250 gigs of data. Grrrrr.
  Here is my Western digital experience in the past year. Note that all of these drives are less than 1 year old and under warranty.

1. 500 gig drive that was the main drive on a brand new  computer. It  contained my os etc.
    Fried itself in less than 8 months.

2. Since the drive is under warranty i returned it to the store. I had to purchase an new drive because even though it is under warranty, it had to go back to the western Digital factory.
    Required me to pay a $20 shipping fee to send it back.

3. 2 months later,a refurbished drive arrives and will not even boot up. Another $20.00 shipping fee required. The store technicians tell me when the new "refurbished' one finally comes in to be very careful with what I put on it because the "refurbished' ones have a history of being flakey.

4. Purchased at a different store (Costco) a 500 gig Western Digital "my Book" The one that is now overheating after 7 months.

Western Digital is not on my warm and fuzzy list.
cheerio
lululee

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 10:51 AM
Online Now!

Could you possibly be having ventallation problems within your computer?

lululee ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 11:18 AM

Hi hborre,
   I don't think so. The 'My Book" is an external drive. Would the internal temperature effect an external drive?
 I will check into this.
Is there a way I can monitor the heat?
If so, what is the appropriate temperature for it to run properly?
cheeio
lululee

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 11:20 AM

Attached Link: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

here you go. useful little program for computer temps.

lululee ( ) posted Fri, 22 May 2009 at 11:36 AM

Thanks so much kaibach.
cheerio
lululee

Fauvist ( ) posted Sun, 24 May 2009 at 7:16 PM

Quote -
This is the second Western Digital drive tha tis less than 1 year old  year that has gotten flakey.
Hopefully the SATA kIt will at least let me access the drive.
cheerio
lululee

Hi Lululee,
I buy hard drives etc. at BEST BUY and get their extended warranty.  If you have any problems in 3 years they fix them, or replace the item for you. 
Fauvist

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.