Mon, Oct 21, 9:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: GeoControl 2 onsale at Cornucopia $89

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2009 at 8:27 PM

So folks who bought this are pretty happy with it? Just picked it up to check it out, and will be checking the tutorials.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2009 at 8:49 PM

It is the best terrain editor/generator I have.  I am very happy with it.  Especially since it will work with other 3D programs as well.  It is not Vue specific.  It also works well with Carrara, Terragen, Bryce, and others.  Especially since it can export to .obj format.

Do look at the tutorials.  It will help you immensely.  It gives a good idea just what can be done with it.

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 7:50 AM

Thanks will be doing that this weekend.

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 8:00 AM

How long does it normally take to get the serial number?

choover3 ( ) posted Fri, 29 May 2009 at 8:04 AM

I purchased it yesterday and the serial came right away in a separate email at the same time as  the order confirmation.

richcz3 ( ) posted Sat, 30 May 2009 at 1:17 AM

I bought it earlier today and have the serial.
My question is this. Is it tied to my copy of Vue 7 or can I install it on another machine.

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 30 May 2009 at 2:10 AM

It has nothing to do with Vue, you can install it wherever you want.

synergy543 ( ) posted Sat, 30 May 2009 at 12:19 PM · edited Sat, 30 May 2009 at 12:25 PM

Quote - Actually, and this has been scientifically validated, we (most) humans can fill-in spelling and grammar gaps with amazing accuracy and ease.

Dno't delete this beaucse it lokos weird. Beleive it or not,you can raed it .....I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia -Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

chippwalters ( ) posted Sat, 30 May 2009 at 6:19 PM

Synergy,

Great one!

I, too, took advantage of the killer deal and purchased GC2 and am looking forward to playing around with it. But, ever since seeing the free tutorial at Quadspinner blog and the subsequent paid for tute at Quadspinner, I've enjoyed testing the limits of Vue's own terrain editor.

If you haven't seen them, I suggest people check them out. They are really quite valuable.

Vege-Mite, I don't mean to pile on here, but I do think a note of apology is in order for Steven. He is a remarkable fellow, who maintains a positive outlook despite his afflictions. His contributions to this community are many. You have always seemed a reasonable chap, and I suspect this issue is overblown for you. As you can plainly see, everyone creates typos, even yourself.

BTW, if you click the quote button, then look at the source of the message, you will see the proper markup for creating quotes here in this forum.

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 30 May 2009 at 8:25 PM

Just watched that paid tutorial at Quadspinner Chipp.  That guy certainly knows his onions - I now know what all those sliders actually do instead of just fiddling around with them :biggrin:

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

choover3 ( ) posted Tue, 02 June 2009 at 11:12 AM

Now that I have had a chance to use GC2 for a while I think it a really great application with huge potential. It greatly enhances Vue terrains.

For $89 it was a total steal.

Charles

richcz3 ( ) posted Wed, 03 June 2009 at 10:57 AM

Mazak - thanks for the GC2links. This level of control looks to change how I've been using view. I expect to put a good part of my day going through these tutorials. 

Chippwalters - thanks for the Quadspinner links.
I'll admit I all but stopped using Vue in favor of Teragen lately, but he really offers some great tips on the free video and the pay for video is very much worth it.

In summation - both GC2and Quadspinners video are great purchases. Both compliment each other very well.

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 9:39 AM

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I thought I would give GC2 a go before I purchased it, I downloaded the down version, created a terrain at 1024x1024 and used a tutorial to import it into Vue.

The terrain looks very low quality, I push the procedural terrain to 1024x1024 but it still looks naff and nothing like it appeared in GC2.

Here is the link

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp114/jonj16111/Snow.jpg 

Any idea of where I am going wrong or why it looks so low quality?

Thanks
Jon

DA Portfolio - http://jonj1611.daportfolio.com/

alexcoppo ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 11:43 AM

You are doing nothing wrong.

Vue almost completely discards the highest frequencies in the heightfield data (if you use a 1024 x 1024 heightfield, it is as if you are actually using a 512 x 512 one) and this is true also with procedural terrains.

Create a 2048 x 2048 terrain in GC and import it into a 2048 x 2048 terrain to have the equivalent resolution of 1024 x 1024.

Bye!!!

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 1:19 PM

Thanks for the info, I tried exactly what you said but the result was the same, in fact it looks slightly worse.

Other people seem to be getting good results, I just don't understand where I am going wrong.

Jon

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 1:20 PM

Though looking at the terrain at 2048x2048 it looks highly pixelated too????

Jon

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 1:27 PM

Jon, are you exporting from GeoControl as a 16-bit tga then importing it as a 16-bit tga?

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 1:30 PM

Hey Chipp,

I am exporting as a 16-bit Tiff, then using the Projected Texture Map node to import the 16-bit Tiff. Using bicubic interpolation. 

No matter what resolution I bring it in at or up it too, the result is the same. I am wondering if this is the way it should be or I am just doing something wrong.

Jon

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 1:55 PM

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 2:11 PM

Nice cartoon style there Chipp :)

I will give that a whirl and see how I get on.

Thanks pal
Jon

chippwalters ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 2:45 PM

I've heard some have to take it as high as 8K resolution to really do close up work on terrains. I know you'll need 64-bit processing to do that. Good luck!

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Fri, 05 June 2009 at 2:49 PM

Yeah, I have a quad-core processor, though its running 32bit Windows 7 currently. However, I am currently looking out for 8GB ram for it and will go 64 bit I think, had too many things run out of memory lately.

Jon

triangle ( ) posted Sat, 06 June 2009 at 5:07 AM

GC2s creator asserts on the GC2 forums that the Vue proc terrain resolution makes no difference at all to the render resolution for a GC2 driven terrain - it only affects the quality of the OpenGL preview.  I create all my GC2 terrains at 4096x4096 and have always left the GC2 driven proc terrains at 256x256 in Vue and they are fine.  I have tested them at higher than 256x256 in Vue and have not seen any difference so have always concluded that Cajomi is right.  Is there something I am not aware of?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.