Mon, Sep 9, 5:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 4:57 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: June Challenge - CAN YOU SEE IT?

tresamie ( ) posted Mon, 08 June 2009 at 10:03 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 4:49 AM

Hi All!

The new challenge is here!  mcw1917 sent in this intriguing challenge:

"Let's have a challenge wherein you create a picture within a picture; where you look at the initial piece of art and can discern a second or third subject therein.  To simplify with a mundane example:  a tree wherein several faces may be seen when viewed carefully.... "

This sounds like a fascinating challenge!  The challenge is for everyone, regardless of their creative tools.  Everyone can enter, whether they are using 2D, 3D, fractal, animation or any other software;  whether they are photographers, writers or even musicians.  The challenge arena is open to all.  Come and join in, test your creative tools against all the others!

The Challenge begins immediately and will close to entries in the middle of July.  I wanted to extend it a bit so there is plenty of time, then we can have a July/August Summer Challenge.  I will give you a few days notice.  All entries will be to this thread or with a link to a larger image. Voting will begin then in the same thread. 

You may enter an existing work if you like, but we would prefer to see a new work created for this challenge... it IS a challenge after all, lol!  You may enter more than one work, but remember that in the voting, each entry will be judged separately; we vote for an entry, not an artist. If you choose to enter more than once, please NAME EACH OF YOUR ENTRIES!

Go and create!!

~Viv

Fractals will always amaze me!

Digital_Mischief ( ) posted Tue, 09 June 2009 at 8:44 AM

Oh, my!  Now that is a challenge. Never done anything like that. This will take some thinking.  Nice idea mcw1917!

Images that run around in my head eventually end up in my gallery.

Dragons like to have fun too!  Dragon Mischief Art

mcw1917 ( ) posted Tue, 09 June 2009 at 12:14 PM

It sounded like a good idea at the time.... but now I'm fresh outta ideas! LOL!  But we can do it, can't we, everybody....  ;-)  ???

koosievantutte ( ) posted Tue, 09 June 2009 at 12:16 PM

of course! (i hope)

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"

JHarford ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2009 at 3:09 AM

Very cool topic, I'll give it a try If I have time..

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2009 at 4:43 AM

Ooh!  Hidden images! :)

I'll try to enter (although my Mac with all the art programs is still unbootable).

Doing something like this verbally would be a bit tougher... although some folks here might know Alice Through the Looking Glass, where the land as described is a giant chessboard, and you can follow the moves of the game through the story.  It is much easier to see patterns in clouds and faces in trees.

Carolly

Digital_Mischief ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2009 at 8:41 AM

I would think the secret might be using something with pattern. Then adding your 'face, or what ever' in a faded layer.  Sorta thinking out loud here as I'm not sure how I will tackle this.  Maybe a will googling to see if I can can some ideas.

Patrish

hauksdottir ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2009 at 3:47 PM · edited Wed, 10 June 2009 at 3:48 PM

Attached Link: Smotherhood

file_432732.jpg

Well, I'll pull something out of my gallery to start this....

"Smotherhood"

Can you see the wary eye in the tree?

and the link goes to the full image.

mcw1917 ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2009 at 6:30 PM

Terrific!  But I see a whole lot more than Mom's eye in the full image.  I see about four monkeys, at least one snake, four or more wonderful faces....and I only studied it for a minute or so.  It's great, hauksdottir!

SusiQ ( ) posted Thu, 11 June 2009 at 3:47 AM

Here's a submission from the writers side...
Hugs and good luck all!

The painting

I paused at the illuminated painting in the airconditioned gallery.
The swirls of various colour on the black background were intriguing and made me very quiet inside..... at first.

Then they began screaming, louder and more obvious.

My sight started spinning round and round along with the arcs of pattern till I staggered and stumbled into someone beside me. A hard grip steadied me and I took a deep breath and mumbled a quiet word of thanks to my partner. I gripped his arm then focused on the painting again.

"It's quite disturbing isn't it?"  Mark's voice nudged my senses.

"Mmmm, hang on a bit. I need to see this a bit longer if that's ok?" I was being drawn deeper into the picture again but this time I had an anchor.

"No problem," and Mark reached out to a passing waiter and grabbed a scotch on the rocks.

The patterns swirled like before but I was prepared and held on. They steadied and opened up a glorious world before me, deep, deep inside the canvas. A couple strolling along in a field of multicoloured, bobbing poppys turned into a murky rainbow of gas floating on water.

The picture changed again.

This time into Mark lying on a bedspread of many colours. His face was full of love and in his hand was an open golden box containing a delicate diamond ring. A glimpse of joy filled his expression before the colours swirled again into a shining jingle of a child's cot mobile.....

I inhaled deeply and broke the spell of the painting.

Turning to Mark I smiled... "Yes."

He frowned at me in query. "Yes, what?"

"This is the one I want and yes, so are you." my heart overflowed as he joyfully realised I was answering his question from the previous night.

My answer was within the painting.

Copyright S.R. Hulley
Chin up, stay strong! Hugs!

mcw1917 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2009 at 2:00 PM

Wow SusiQ, what a neat submission.  So glad to see a writer's contribution!  And it's great!

mcw1917 ( ) posted Fri, 12 June 2009 at 2:07 PM

file_432868.jpg

Here's one.... called "Swim at Your Own Risk."  The project was created in Vue 7 with a photo backdrop.  (I took the picture last fall in the Southern Caribbean; it has not been doctored in any way.)  The boy on the dock and the pier are Vue, as is the palm.  I think I'll  work on another one...

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 14 June 2009 at 2:47 AM

These are great!  I know this is a tough challenge, but you are all making it look easy 😄

~Viv

three_grrr ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2009 at 9:09 PM

Wow, SusiQ, the story was awesome! 
Hauksdottir Loved the tree with dryad's eye peering out ..
And mcw1917 .. just love how you did this .. I love the cloud .. light streaming out of it's eyes .. what a dramatic work!!

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 6:23 AM

Thank you for the kind words. :)

I've been down with a bloody urinary tract infection, so have to recover myself before fixing the computer.  Perhaps some of these approaches can spur more entries?

Remember those hidden images posters and puzzles?  Some types of play are fun, such as this teddy bear in the clouds:

http://www.planetperplex.com/en/pareidolia.html

And others, such as "magic eye" floating images are just fiendish.

http://www.planetperplex.com/en/magic_eye.html

Anamorphosis, is mostly twisted images (look at some Renaissance paintings through grooves in the frames to see (OMG) a huge skull, or other such trickery.  Or place a metallic tube into the middle of a drawing to see the unbent original.  I think of it as a gambit, but many masters liked playing with their art.

Anyway, the Planet Perplex site has lots of fun, different things to do when making an image:

http://www.planetperplex.com/en/index.html

Silhouettes hiding other images?

Catasterism was unintentional: viewers pointed out the "giant parrot head" because they saw it from across the room, whereas my POV was inches away.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1037133

And silhouettes lead to...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_inkblot_test

(Years ago, this test was given to me.  One of my responses was "trireme", and I had to explain to  the pysychologist that the Greeks invented a vastly superior warship with 3 banks of oars and lots of pointy bits for ramming enemies.  Intelligent, widely reading, artists do very badly on tests like this.)

Maybe one of these ideas is a starting point?

Carolly

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2009 at 10:15 AM

Thanks, Carolly!  You are always so generous with your ideas 😄

~Viv

SusiQ ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 12:31 AM

Thank you for your lovely comments.  :o)
I've also challenged some of the other writers to join us here.
I really love the tree photo called smothered. That is how I feel sometimes... lol
Great cloud picture in Swim at your own risk.  To me the cloud looks like a shark... :o)

Copyright S.R. Hulley
Chin up, stay strong! Hugs!

three_grrr ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 11:51 AM

file_433315.jpg

Took this one sometime in the last few weeks, wanted some cloud shots to make some cloud brushes. As I was looking at it, trying to decide what portion to work with, I saw the profile, and it's shadow, or maybe two profiles. Think the image comes out as thumb .. zoom in Rita 

bentchick ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 7:31 PM

file_433362.jpg

Title: Face 1

Oh yeah, this is my kind of challenge!!! I see things in everything!
This one came out of a folder I have called "Bristlecone faces. Bristlecone trees are the oldest living things and we have one of the biggest forest of them here in the White Mts bordering California and Nevada.

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 10:22 PM

this is a crazy challenge :)
I'm going to have to really be creative on this one.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 3:06 AM

WOW ! Even a writer in this.  THat is indeed awesome. WOnderful images so far and ... IM on :-)
Be back later, you bet.

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 5:49 AM · edited Tue, 23 June 2009 at 5:50 AM

file_433386.jpg

I hope I can send this even though i have it on my gallery, but if you want to see it in bigger size i can send the link.  This is just a biginner image. :-) Here is ALOT to see.

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:10 AM

wow, helanker ... very nice indeed...a bit dark on top half to see everything, but it is all full of stuff for sure :)

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:46 AM

Thank you very much Dave-So. I made it by pushing pixels in PSP9. :-)  
I am sorry you are not able to see the upper part. I myself have no troubles seeing it. I guess it is depending of our monitors.

Helle

mcw1917 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:43 AM

YES!! That's a wonderful image, helanker!  Filled with so many marvelous faces, animals, things!!!!  Terrific job.  I love it. 

mcw1917 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:58 AM

file_433402.jpg

Here's another one....created in Vue, trees come from PS brushes....  You have to look REALLY closely to see what's going on here.  I have a map, if you need it.  ;-) 

mcw1917 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 10:06 AM

file_433407.jpg

This was created entirely in Vue, no postwork whatsoever.  Gotta admit it was made in response to a lesson by Peggy Walters in LVS.   It's called "Birth of a Dragon."  The more you look, the more you'll see.  (I hope)

mcw1917 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 10:12 AM

file_433408.jpg

Last one, I promise.  I call this Mid-Eastern Marketplace.  It's the most complicated, and really asks a lot of your imagination.  Created entirely in Vue; no postwork.

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 11:26 AM

Thank you mcv1917 I am glad you like it

Yes i see the face in the tree.  And the profiles in the clouds.
I cant see anything  specific in your beautiful jungle image, but it sure looks great. I think i see a  face in the middle birth of a dragon.  Awesome one. The last one I see severel dragon faces :-)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 1:22 PM

Oh, wow!

helanker, mcw1917, please send links to the larger images (old eyes aren't what they ought to be, yet I can tell there are lots of interesting bits). :)

helanker ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 1:29 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1609619

Hi hauksdottir here is the link to my image :-)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 6:16 PM

Thank you.  BTW, it doesn't appear to be a mermaid, but a selkie leaving her skin, and I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the basilica. ;)

Katanas ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 3:28 AM · edited Wed, 24 June 2009 at 3:33 AM

file_433457.jpg

My entry name: Butterflies are free!

This is an older image with two hidden creatures, can you see them both?

helanker ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 3:38 AM

A very beautiful Image,   Katanas and I see the 2 hitten creatures :)

mcw1917 ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 10:28 AM

I'd love to send a larger image, but being REALLY new to Renderosity, I don't know where to send it.....  How do you get a gallery page?  Are there instructions or special requirements?  Please, somebody, point me in the right direction.  I'll do the rest!  Thanks!
Peggy (mcw1917)

helanker ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 1:07 PM

file_433492.jpg

Here is one more from me. There are 3 in this picture.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 1:13 PM

a very good one, helle!

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"

helanker ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 1:25 PM

Thank you Koosie :-))) 

tresamie ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 3:59 PM · edited Wed, 24 June 2009 at 4:00 PM

Attached Link: Upload Link

*"I'd love to send a larger image, but being REALLY new to Renderosity, I don't know where to send it..... How do you get a gallery page? Are there instructions or special requirements? Please, somebody, point me in the right direction. I'll do the rest! Thanks! Peggy (mcw1917)" **  *Peggy, you already have a gallery, every member gets one when they join!   Go to the top of the page and find the silver buttons between the Renderosity logo and the "Announcements".  One is labeled 'Galleries'.  If you hover on it, you will get a dropdown menu.  The first item on it is 'My Gallery'.  You have no entries yet.  To make your first entry, use the page link  at the top of this entry to go to the upload page.  Maximum 4000x4000 pixels, and up 512kb in file weight.

If you have any problems or questions, send me a sitemail.

~Viv

Digital_Mischief ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:40 PM

Some very interesting pieces here!

ligt ( ) posted Sun, 28 June 2009 at 3:43 PM

file_433753.jpg

grassmonkeys.

its a photo from blooming grass in the sunset.
the wind spoiled the moment, but left me with those playing monkeys.

monica

helanker ( ) posted Sun, 28 June 2009 at 5:33 PM

Hi Monica. I like that image alot. Awesome.

mcw1917 ( ) posted Wed, 01 July 2009 at 12:57 PM

So do I, Monica.  It's really fun. Talk about serendipity! Wow!

three_grrr ( ) posted Thu, 09 July 2009 at 3:04 PM

Just love all these .. the face in the bristlecone tree; I could spend DAYS looking pouring over helanker's digital manipulation, it's fantastic!!; MCW's jungle posting is a little small, but I can make out a few things.. it's one you really have to study, marketplace is awesome, and I see faces in the sky of the dragon's birth. 
What wonderful stuff there is to see!! You all have such wonderful imaginations!!

three_grrr ( ) posted Thu, 09 July 2009 at 3:48 PM

Oh my .. I missed katanas'  image .. I see the two hidden images in your wonderful render!  I think there are more then three in your last post, helanker! I saw at least four and the faintest hint of a fifth!! It's an amzingly awesome image. As it your forest one, I just love all that's in that one! The creatures as well as the folks! Thank you for the larger posting of it!
That posting by ligt .. wow .. what an awesomd capture, it looks more like a fractal then a photo! Sometimes the blurred mistakes are the most gorgeous, as this one is.

mcw1917 ( ) posted Thu, 09 July 2009 at 4:37 PM · edited Thu, 09 July 2009 at 7:40 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1913081

Sorry it's taken so long to upload a larger image of those tangled jungle vines....  You can see it here:

Tomorrow I'll upload one of my "maps" to help you gaze through my eyes....  heh heh.  ;-)
Any and all comments are welcome.  Thanks!

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 09 July 2009 at 7:43 PM · edited Fri, 10 July 2009 at 4:14 PM

Hi Peggy,

I did a quick edit on your post so that the link would work perfectly.  There are some seriously awesome entries for this challenge!

~Viv

helanker ( ) posted Fri, 10 July 2009 at 2:04 AM

Thank you very much for your kind words, three_grrr. ** It is very kind of you.

mcw1917 ( ) posted Fri, 10 July 2009 at 4:40 PM

Here's a map to those tangled jungle vines.  I found 17 incipient objects, including 12 faces, 2 calves, one dog and one rabbit.  Perhaps there's more???

renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php

Thanks for fixing my other link, Viv.  I hope this one is ok.

Best.... Y'all have a happy weekend!

Cheers, mcw 1917 -- Peggy

tresamie ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 9:02 PM

What a fun topic this has been, and lots of amazing entries!   I would like to close the entries on Sunday, the 19th of July (that gives us a weekend for final touches!).  I will be calling for votes just after midnight on Sunday (Renderosity time), so let's get in all those last minute entries !

~Viv

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 19 July 2009 at 10:22 PM

I am going to close entries a few hours early, because my computer has a strange problem that no one knows what to do about, and I am working on a loaner.  It's terrific to see some new faces this month!  We have two pages this month, so be sure to look at all the entries.  It's time to let the voting begin!  The voting will be in this thread, after this post.  You get to choose your 3 favorite entries, giving each of them 3, 2 or 1 points.  Remember, you are choosing an entry, not an artist.  If someone has posted more than one entry, you need to indicate which is your choice.

Your vote should look something like this:

Hidden - "Pictures" - 3 points
Shades - "And Shadows" - 2 points
Secret - "Images" - 1 point

Feel free to nominate Honorable Mentions or make comments.

~Viv

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.