Sat, Aug 3, 8:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 28 8:54 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 3D Magix - A rip off of Blender

keppel ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2009 at 8:33 AM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 6:04 AM

Here is something that should be of concern to all Blender users.  Blender is being ripped of as 3D Magix.

Check this site:  www.3dmagix.com/

Follow the discussion at BlenderArtists.org.

blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2009 at 10:33 AM

This guy really has brass ones. Even if he does have the right to repackage Blender and sell it (as long as he includes the source code), he is clearly violating a lot of things with his marketing.

The interesting thing is the level of maturity in the replies on the Blender forum. Very good.

Too bad for people who got suckered in into buying something that is essentially free. 

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 10 June 2009 at 2:34 PM · edited Wed, 10 June 2009 at 2:36 PM

Looks very similar to some stuff you can get on Ebay

as us Brits would say - "He's got more front than Brighton!"

Interesting that it can open .MAX files - I've been after a converter for that for ages :biggrin:

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

haloedrain ( ) posted Thu, 11 June 2009 at 1:14 AM · edited Thu, 11 June 2009 at 1:22 AM

I think it might actually be legal to sell GPL software, but I'm pretty sure he didn't get permission to use many of those images, and some of them definitely weren't made in blender (I see Riven and a Final Fantasy X character in there)  If someone wanted to get this site taken down, contacting the artists, and in particular the major studios, might be a good way to go about it.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 11 June 2009 at 6:33 AM

Apparently Googling 3DMagix brought up the site as first on the list and BlenderArtist's forum thread as fifth. I just did a google and guess what?

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

cookiewiz ( ) posted Thu, 11 June 2009 at 3:02 PM

His web site has been shut down.

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 11 June 2009 at 3:07 PM

Really ? What a surprise ! :)

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 11 June 2009 at 3:51 PM

Does that mean we don't get to read any more of his foaming rhetoric ? darn. . . I am heartbroken

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

wespose ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 6:34 PM

Good Job, I just posted one of these as well, before I seen this one!

Site shut down ...good!

code your own software idiot, leave blender to the people!

wespose ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 6:44 PM

OOOOO......not shut down but changed now

"Blender 3D Creation Studio Suite
& 3DMagix Video Training Package "

to a Tutorial package at $27.00....someone got in trouble!!

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 7:12 PM

not before time either.

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 9:35 PM

Once again - the problem here is not about selling blender.

Selling Blender is allowed, under the right conditions. Just like people can sell distributions of Linux, even though Linux is free.

The problems with his 'product' are that:

1- He did not mention Blender at all initially (making it look like it was his software) 
2- He used pictures from other people and work, without authorization (including images not made with Blender)
3- He didn't seem to include sources of Blender (maybe just an impression from his ads though)

Rebranding it as Blender + Video Tutorials (the real 'product' here) is a step in the right direction, although it doesn't change that the first attempts looked like he was selling the software as his own.

lisarichie ( ) posted Mon, 15 June 2009 at 9:59 PM

Yeah, and with that start-up I would tend to view the tutorial offer with a jaundiced eye too and have to pass it by and recommend the same to others.

wespose ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2009 at 11:18 AM

cgi graphics best animation software

**Ive seent his tutorial somewhere else before ( free)

**"Yeah, and with that start-up I would tend to view the tutorial offer with a jaundiced eye too and have to pass it by and recommend the same to others."

OOH yeah , Im thinking its probably a combo of Blender Noob to Pro mixed with various articles from Blender Art Magazine sold at  $27.00 for being put on the same disk with each other!

**I"ll have to see more than renderings of a morphed V4 on the dvd cover to buy that set of tutorials.

lisarichie ( ) posted Tue, 16 June 2009 at 1:18 PM

The guy sets a precedent for supporting the legality of retroactive abortion doesn't he?:rolleyes:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.