Tue, Oct 22, 7:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 6:50 am)

Subject: Poser has SERIOUS issues !!!

slonishko ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 2:23 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:13 AM

Ok, so I am a reformed Poser user, now using DazStudio and Vue exclusively ( well almost hence the rant that follows)

I like most people here have a VERY large Runtime folder 106G and counting. I have it on its own happy little harddrive and set ip this way for use in DS out of habit. I for whatever reason maybe just for old times sake decide to reinstall Poser 6 and see how it is working with the new version of Vue 7. I decide I am not at all happy with it, so I uninstall Poser this morning and guess what ???

IT TOOK MY GEOMETRIES FOLDER WITH IT !!!

Uninstalled nothing else, just Poser and the coresponding geometries folder... So now EVERYTHING I have in my over large but well used Runtime folder is completely useless... and of course a system DID NOT help.

...my my my, I just wanna punch something in the face...maybe a soft fuzzy bunny or similar...GGGRRR...

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 2:53 PM

You will find that most people here have several and smaller external runtime folders.  Unfortunately, you live and learn.  106G!  Ouch!

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 2:55 PM

That certainly is very odd :(     Hope you had a backup.

maybe an undelete ?   did it go to your recycle bin ?

Gareee ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 3:16 PM

So long as you don't do ANYTHING else with that drive, you can probablty use that free undelete that was recently posted to recover it.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 4:28 PM

106 gig of poser content gone??
Good !!
now is the time to come to grips with your obvious
Digital Hoarding problem.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

papillon68 ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 6:21 PM

If you are on Windows, try Easy Recovery Professional: it will recover all your lost data ...

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 7:06 PM

Thankfully never had to play this game, but sounds like a handy bit of knowledge to file away.

slonishko, if you are able to recover your data, please let us know here which recovery app works for you.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 7:45 PM

This is an external runtime that you're speaking of or did you install Poser 6 to use this external runtime as it's main runtime? I've never heard of Poser removing anything from external runtimes before.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 8:31 PM

Quote - I've never heard of Poser removing anything from external runtimes before.

IIRC, one of the P7 SRs removed the main Runtime on uninstall, but it got updated so that it didn't do that fairly quickly.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2009 at 11:24 PM

Quote - > Quote - I've never heard of Poser removing anything from external runtimes before.

IIRC, one of the P7 SRs removed the main Runtime on uninstall, but it got updated so that it didn't do that fairly quickly.

That's not the same as an external runtime though so I have to wonder whether the original poster installed Poser 6 over the existing runtime or linked to it as an external one which is what anyone wanting to preserve the integrity of their external runtime would have done.

jartz ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 2:22 AM

There's also a free application called Recuva...

www.recuva.com/

Recuva (pronounced "recover") is a freeware Windows utility to restore files that have been accidentally deleted from your computer. This includes files emptied from the Recycle bin as well as images and other files that have been deleted by user error from digital camera memory cards or MP3 players. It will even bring back files that have been deleted by bugs, crashes and viruses!

I hope this helps, and I hope you can recover what you have lost.  I know how you feel.

Good luck,

JB

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

slonishko ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 2:46 AM

@ **LostinSpaceman

I for what seemed easier at t he time just installed Poser directly into that folder and just had it add to that Runtime, but as mentioned. It only took my geometries folder and nothing else.. Which of course renders everything in it USELESS. I am now trying the above suggested programs, and will let you all know (;

@ wolf359

I have been collecting for about 8 years, so there is no "hoarding" going on, just alot of "ya never know when you might need it" :D

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 2:47 AM

I used free undelete and it worked but be careful, it filled up my c drive to less than a meg left.

slonishko ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 4:14 AM

Yeah, I tried the free undelete some time ago on something unrelated and was not impressed. I am doing a restore with "Recova" right now after almost hours of scanning, we will see how it goes, and then I will try the other one mentioned and give an update (;

slonishko ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2009 at 4:46 AM

Alright, I did the "Recova" program and it seems to have found aot of the stuff, but it tells me it is going to take 3 days to put it all back, I could do it manually in a few hours and a couple bottles of wine. I think I will go that route instead (;

Thanks for all the help everyone.

-Karina

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 8:55 AM

I got all my stuff back with the free undelete. Think the difference might be that I don't use that computer, was setting it up as a render box.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 9:10 AM

OMG!! that's one more reaosn to use external seperate runtimes. :/

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.