Sat, Oct 5, 8:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

raven ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:37 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 8:25 AM

I had my new issue of ImagineFX come today, and inside front cover, BAM!, advert for Poser 8. The new P8 girl is called Alyson.
They're showing it at SIGGRAPH 09.

pitklad ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:45 AM

image image!!! plz!!!

My FreeStuff

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:08 AM

Any features listed?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

raven ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:56 AM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:02 AM

file_433537.jpg

No features listed, and the link doesn't work yet (for me at least!) .

Oh, and that's not dandruff, it's dust on my scanner! :)

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:22 AM

.... interesting...

Eternal Hobbyist

pitklad ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:26 AM

thanks for the image raven !

she looks cute, quite scarlet johansson...

however the link listed doesn't work for me...

My FreeStuff

Mazak ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:28 AM

Wow That is great news! :woot:
hmmm http://poser8.smithmicro.com/ifx is still dead. :glare:

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:31 AM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:40 AM

why did they use real hair ? why not rendered hair? they dont like the hair  then why have it then in poser?

Mazak ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:36 AM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:39 AM

Attached Link: http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_details.asp?individual_id=165614&is_featured=-1&

Mike Campau: ***Retoucher*** and Digital Artist 😉

http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_details.asp?individual_id=165614&is_featured=-1&

Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:39 AM

Quote - why did they use real hair ? why not rendered hair? they dont like the hair= then why have it then in poser?

and how do you know that's NOT rendered hair?

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:49 AM

Not getting sucked in again. Hate to be a cloud but I see too many posts in here about all the previous versions having serious problems. That coffee didn't taste right? Let me make you a new more expensive cup. That didn't taste right? Let me make you a new and more expensive cup.................
Going to get off the train, but I'm sure some of you will let me know how wonderful it is and how much I'm missing out.
8^)

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:54 AM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:58 AM

How do you know she's even rendered at all or that she was even rendered in poser? It wouldn't be the first time that the users of poser show promo images for their product that weren't even rendered in poser at all. 3D rendered image by a non poser users..... I guess 3D rendered says it all. If it was done in poser they would sure to word that otherwise.

Anyway she looks like a poser figure, she's got something unlikeable, she fits right in with the rest of their figures which I hardly ever use.

The question is... what else will they fake to sell poser 8?

I do find it SO TYPICAL for the poser owners to place an expensive ad in a magazine and that leads to a dead link. That's another great way to attract customers, SM seems to know well how to put of customers.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

DarrenUK ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:56 AM

If P8 woman is called Alison, wonder what the other figures are called eg.

P5 Don, Judy, Will and Penny (Lost in Space)
P6 Jesse and James (Cowboy or perhaps Pokemon (though obviously modelled on Posh and Becks) still waiting for the P6 Dog Pikachu!).
Can't remember P7 characters off the top of my head cos I don't have P7 and I rarely use the boxed Poser figures anyway.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:00 AM

Face ... not ... cool.  Really not cool.  And not in an uncanny valley way, in a bad plastic surgery way.

My Freebies

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:05 AM

Quote - Face ... not ... cool.  Really not cool.  And not in an uncanny valley way, in a bad plastic surgery way.

From the looks of the included poser models, they seem to have used the same artist for poser 6, 7 and now 8. Knowing that the majority of poser users doesn't like his or her style, they should have hired someone else by now.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:09 AM

I'm pretty certain that hair was not rendered, e.g. look at the huge blur up towards the right ear while right below it the skin is in focus.

Incidentally I didn't really have any problem with Sydney's looks, it's just near impossible to un-Sydney her face (and there's those wonky breasts besides) - she's a pretty nice figure otherwise, much nicer than Jessi.

My Freebies

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:11 AM

Actually, the link works. There's just nothing there yet. The index page just shows an apache server test page.

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:13 AM

Well, if SM wants me to buy Poser 8, they'll have to convince me based on the feature set. I'm NOT interested in the content.
I know what features I want most in a new Poser version. Although I expect Poser 8 to fall short of my wishes, I'll consider buying if it has significant improvements in the areas that need them most (IMO).

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:14 AM

They link in the ad doesn't work.... if you omit the /ifx ypu get the test page. If you use the full link you get a 404, at least I do.

Still why put an ad in a mag that leads to nothing really? Put up an ad when you're done, not before hand.

Food for thought.....

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:24 AM

TY3, yet??!

I hope they've done some serious fixing of the Hair room.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

geep ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:28 AM

Who will be the first ... to post here when the "link" starts working? :blink:

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:45 AM

SIGGRAPH Starts August 3rd, so I suppose the site will be up by then...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

raven ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 10:10 AM

Bear in mind that as a subscriber copy it comes a week (sometimes more) earlier than when the issue hits shops. Maybe the link is meant to go live when the issue hits the shops.

Purrdey ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:35 AM

I'm still getting over my birthday celebrations last night, picked up the mag from the doormat, took it up to bed, snuggled down and had a flick through... didn't notice this ad - wonder why OH it's because of Loic Zimmerman's awesome inside cover art on the opposite page :D

Well actually she looks like a huge improvement, especially around the eyes which always look weird on the poser people.

Depending on price I will probably upgrade but if it's a huge price tag then I'll have to think carefully about the benefits.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:40 AM

Ok just to get this out of the way....

IS IT ON SALE YET?

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Purrdey ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:45 AM

<== Points to what Raven said above - get a subscription slacker giggle

mylemonblue ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:45 AM

I hope the figures don't continue the trend of ridiculously huge polygon counts and hope the new P8 features are something I need and use. I can't wait to see the details. ^__^ 

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:49 AM

I have to agree with pjz99, I don't like the Alyson face.

thedutchview ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 12:32 PM

I actually like Alyson, her eyes are great. For the lips yes they look like if theres some collagon in them. But you can always morph. I agree with mylemonblue i hope that the polygon count isnt as high as on Sydney.

TZORG ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 12:33 PM

I want a G3 Sydney

If she ever exists I guess she won't be included with Poser, which is cool by me

It's not the tool used, it's the tool using it

xoconostle ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 12:35 PM

I've never bought Poser for the figures that come with it, so I don't mind if she's pretty or a bit of a "horse face." It's probably not a figure I'll use that much anyway. The feature set is the thing, and having said so...

...PLEASE...

...when the time comes for pre-ordering, o powers that be, DO NOT do the obnoxious "we'll only tell you about one new feature at a time" tease thing. Potential customers have every right to know what they're paying for when they pay for it. Trust was broken with the shameful release of Poser 5 and despite the fact that I'm quite happy with Poser 7, I consider it a bit of an insult to the loyal customer base to play that "tease" marketing game regarding new features rather than just telling us up front what they are. 

Sorry if that sounds cranky. I don't mean it to, well not much. :-) 

jdcooke ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 1:25 PM

Poser 8?....  Looking forward to it.

SirensTragicMuse ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 1:26 PM

I just called Smith Micro.

Poser 8 is in the works and scheduled for release later this summer!

An upgrade will be available!

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 1:35 PM

There may be some aspects of the face that can be blamed on the postwork guy, but the problems I have with it are pretty much that the shape is really strange (and not in a good way, like Sydney's face is exotic and distinctive and still appealing).

• Chin is way too long
  • Bridge of the nose is pinched far too much, doesn't really match the nostrils and roundness of the tip of the nose, and the nostrils flesh seems to be back-tilted in a really odd way
  • Duck lips
  • Corner of the jaw seems to be inset unnaturally, along with the chin's huge length adds up to a quite strange jawline
  • Enormous full cheeks don't match the inset jaw corners at all

I wonder how much of that image is really the render and how much was mashed around bt the postwork guy.

My Freebies

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 2:11 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 2:14 PM

Actually, I don't find Sydney to be all that appealing. She looks like she's got a permanent scowl etched on her face. I've yet to use her for one render.

Maybe Smith Micro will learn and Alyson will be rigged more like Miki2.

Treasurer_and_Battle ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 2:17 PM

I don't buy Poser for the Poser People and so while I agree that the new woman is funky looking, that isn't going to put me off one way or the other.  I'm sure I'll buy the upgrade - my only regret is that I'll probably be looking at his rather unfortunate picture every time Poser 8 loads.

geep ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 2:40 PM

Beauty is in the eye ... 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 2:44 PM

Quote - Beauty is in the eye ... 😄

You should flush with cold water to get that out.  
8^)

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 3:12 PM

Who cares about the content? I certainly don't.
If they want me to shell out over $100 for an upgrade to P8, they'd better have included some new (useful!) features, lots of bug fixes and speed improvements to the core app. I have P7, but still use P6, so I'm not really interested in wasting another $100-150 or whatever the upgrade will cost...

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 3:28 PM

I can't really make a decision about the new character based on 1 shot.  I remember having a very bad vision of Sydney, but I thought the final product was just fine.  The more the merrier as far as I am concerned, as long as they are not a 6 foot Amazon (I got V4 already), I am good with it.

I am more interested in the feature set.

My questions are not so much about Poser 8 as Poser Pro 2.
WHATDOWEGET!!!
WHATDOWEGET!!!

TZORG ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 3:34 PM

file_433558.jpg

Sydney threatens to smile at you

It's not the tool used, it's the tool using it

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 3:40 PM

If we like the figure or not, if we will use it or not, fact is we're paying for it. SM had to pay someone to create them. That means they've sacrifised a feature/improvement or two for it.

I'd rather have a new poser with more improvements instead of paying for figures and content I'll never use.

Food for thought.....

thegoodtaste ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 3:50 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 3:52 PM

When Poser Pro was announced for preorders, one feature was the possibilty of import Quidam characters. It do decided me for purchase. After, this feature wasn't and nobody give an explanation about it. When the users asked about this feature in CP poser pro Forum, the only answer was: Poser pro don't include Quidam import. Since it, I decided don't purchase new Poser upgrades, above all if another programs like DAZ Studio have grown with a lot of useful features.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 4:02 PM

Quote - If we like the figure or not, if we will use it or not, fact is we're paying for it. SM had to pay someone to create them. That means they've sacrifised a feature/improvement or two for it.

I'd rather have a new poser with more improvements instead of paying for figures and content I'll never use.

"SM had to pay somone to create them." does not equal "they've sacrifised (sp) a feature/improvement or two for it."

I could be wrong, but I doubt they are building Poser 8 for you.  They are building for the folks that don't have Poser 4,5,6, & 7.

As a new user, if there had been no content in my copy of Poser 5, there would have been no point in me purchasing.  I may not have used very much of it, but it was a start to my content collection

geep ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 4:07 PM

Quote - > Quote - Beauty is in the eye ... 😄

You should flush with cold water to get that out.  
8^)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
aka :lol:

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

mattymanx ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 4:08 PM

Not that I will buy it, but I am curious to see if they have changed (even improved) the User Interface.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 4:15 PM

Quote - Not that I will buy it, but I am curious to see if they have changed (even improved) the User Interface.

That would be nice.

I am hoping for more 64-bit goodness, and an accurate reference guide.  I swear the printed manual that came with Poser is the worst software manual I have read in about 30 years.

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 4:29 PM

Quote - "SM had to pay somone to create them." does not equal "they've sacrifised (sp) a feature/improvement or two for it."

Actually yeah, it means either that or they will charge you extra money for it.  They're not in it for charity.

My Freebies

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 4:42 PM

The Alyson render resembles my next-door neighbour,  but there is something terribly wrong with the chin.

However, she's certainly more attractive than the emiciated lady on the Poser 7 box..

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 4:54 PM

Quote - If we like the figure or not, if we will use it or not, fact is we're paying for it. SM had to pay someone to create them. That means they've sacrifised a feature/improvement or two for it.

So what if you find out you like the figures, but hate the improvements?

Latexluv ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 4:56 PM

If, IF, she is the Poser 8 girl, I just might use her. To me she looks like an improvement over the past 'included in the box' Poser figures. But I am more interested in the new features of Poser 8.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.