Fri, Oct 4, 4:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 5:05 PM

Good point by ssgbryan.  The update buyers generally won't use the
included content, but Poser's unique selling point for new buyers is
a self-contained 3d kit with the tool and the models all in one box.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 5:44 PM

Well, I don't actually know, but IMHO the upgrade/new user ratio must be at worst 50:50, especially given the old users tend to get their upgrades right after release (or even before!), something very important for a company who needs some fresh cash ASAP.

My point is, yes, they sure need to cater for the old clients. At least as much as for the rare new ones (those who were not attracted by DAZ Studio, its features and the free version...).

Diogenes ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 5:47 PM

I've got my money ready, regardless.  I definitely want to see what has improved. Especially awaiting BB's contribution, I know whatever he has added will be good  :biggrin:

And I'm not sucking up I'm serious. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

Silke ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 5:59 PM

Ditto, Mike.
I've never regretted a poser upgrade yet.
Even while everyone said P5 stank, it never gave me trouble. :)

Silke

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:02 PM

Quote - BB's contribution

:?:

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:06 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:07 PM

Quote - I've never regretted a poser upgrade yet.

I regretted P7. Almost no improvement over P6, and it was buggy as hell on my computer (still is, actually).

The really nice upgrade I was really happy about, was P6. That one really brought some new useful features, and while it didn't fix the ancient problems (like the fact it's slow as molasses), I really felt I had gotten something for my money.

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:09 PM

Please, oh, please include some low to medium res figures .
i am fed up with the zillion point figures. . . 
An hair, lots of hair, P L E A S E.
And, everyday, wearable clothing would be nice too. . 
P L E A S E 

Thanks

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:18 PM

Looking forward to it and no doubt this thing will be a 64-bit program. I really like the poser 8 gal why? Because she looks like an actual person not some under 20 thing.

My Facebook Page

wingnut1 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:29 PM

I only started 3D a couple of weeks ago with Poser 7, so I'm not qualified to comment on P8 just in case I post rubbish. But the minor annoyances I have with P7 is all that wasted space to the left of the Trackball & Light Control etc. Moving them further left would allow us to make the Preview/Render screen bigger without it covering up the controls. Also I find the library and parameters/properties pallettes too big and clunky, streamlining them (or making it possible for us to resize them) would make it possible for us to maximize our monitor space.

I just know someone is going to tell me all this is already possible in P7. ;)

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:34 PM

*Moving them further left would allow us to make the Preview/Render screen bigger without it covering up the controls.

**you can pick them up and move them where-ever you want ;)

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:43 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:44 PM

Quote - I just know someone is going to tell me all this is already possible in P7. ;)

Present!  :o)

Just grab those thingies by their title and you can move them around as you want...

--Edit: Oops, too slow. Didn't notice there was another page.

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:48 PM

As far as the camera controls, I always found them to be junk and never use them, so they don't waste any space for me.  I do use the light control a LITTLE bit, but it's pretty useless if you have more than a couple of lights in your scene (and I normally have at least 7).

Not mentioned but you can also resize the library palette as long as it isn't "maximized".

My Freebies

nyguy ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:50 PM

Don't believe it... it has to be a hoax!

Link that works

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

TZORG ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:51 PM

I agree, I think smithmicro been hacked

It's not the tool used, it's the tool using it

wingnut1 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:04 PM

Thanks guys for those tips. I have to say you are all great here.

RFreise ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:13 PM

And if you have dual monitors you can have your working window on one and everything else on the other😄

miketee10021 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:26 PM

Agree with Paganartist. Content? Hair Room? Runtime Management? Just dithering around the edges. Needs full 64 bit capability, and a user interface we can really use (gizmos to move things - enough with spinning dials!)

Diogenes ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:31 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:32 PM

Quote - > Quote - BB's contribution

Hi rty,

Awhile ago in another thread about wheather or not there would be a Poser 8 or not Bagginsbill said he was under a non disclosure agreement. Which tells me he is working on P8, and if he is I bet it will be to add VSS to Poser!  Maybe more. OOOH can't wait.

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:34 PM

I actually like the dials: I usually type values in anyway... Never do any mouse dragging and stuff like that, it lacks precision.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:38 PM

Quote - > Quote - I've never regretted a poser upgrade yet.

I regretted P7. Almost no improvement over P6, and it was buggy as hell on my computer (still is, actually).

The really nice upgrade I was really happy about, was P6. That one really brought some new useful features, and while it didn't fix the ancient problems (like the fact it's slow as molasses), I really felt I had gotten something for my money.

Yeah, we get the point. You don't like P7.

On the other hand, I think it rocks. I just wish I had upgraded sooner from P6.

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:51 PM

Quote - Hi rty,

Awhile ago in another thread about wheather or not there would be a Poser 8 or not Bagginsbill said he was under a non disclosure agreement. Which tells me he is working on P8, and if he is I bet it will be to add VSS to Poser!  Maybe more. OOOH can't wait.

Uh! Completely missed your post (doing to many things at the same time...). Sorry.

And what would VSS be, please?... For me it's Microsoft Visual SourceSafe, but somehow i doubt you mean that... :o)

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:52 PM

Quote - Yeah, we get the point. You don't like P7.

On the other hand, I think it rocks. I just wish I had upgraded sooner from P6.

Yeah, we get the point. You like P7.

:-p

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:55 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 7:55 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - BB's contribution

Hi rty,

Nope nope nope. I've said many times I'm not working on anything to do with materials, lights, or rendering. My role has nothing to do with me being a Poser user. It has to do with me being an expert at user interface construction.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Diogenes ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:10 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - BB's contribution

Hi rty,

Nope nope nope. I've said many times I'm not working on anything to do with materials, lights, or rendering. My role has nothing to do with me being a Poser user. It has to do with me being an expert at user interface construction.

Well then, even better, improvements in the user interface. Still can't wait.

rty Virtual Shader System for Poser. Check it out you can get there from the link in Bagginsbills Sig.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:18 PM
Site Admin

This gal looks a bit like my nephew's mom, only prettier

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:18 PM

thid id good news. Now P7 will be on sale for around $29, and Perhaps I will pick it up. Mybe P8 if the upgrade price is cheap for P6 users too.

I've had Poser since P1 ... P7 is the 1st version i have not upgraded to. will P8 make its way to my hard drive?

We''ll  have to see

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

rty ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:19 PM

Quote - My role has nothing to do with me being a Poser user. It has to do with me being an expert at user interface construction.

That means that P8 has an user interface!  :-D
That's good news!

At last.

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:24 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:25 PM

I really love the current Poser interface. The camera is very easy to use. The only drawback for me is that my 19inch crt lacks real estate. Poser would be ideal with dual monitor hookup.
I hate those menu/keyboard shortcut driven interfaces.

There were some articles by Kai Krause about his interface designs. Worth reading if you can find them anymore.

adzan ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:26 PM

Quote -

oooooo, crosses fingers, let it not be a bunch of compressed psds and not brown - lol

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:28 PM

actually, here;s a good start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Krause

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:28 PM

"Poser would be ideal with dual monitor hookup."

it is. and a 3 monitor layout is fantastic.

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:41 PM

Semi newbee, P6, P7, PPro. Will buy P8 the day it comes out. Software always advances with new features and I am a new feature hog. Having BB working with the crew is nice thick, rich icing on the cake. BB has always been a perfectionist with his shaders. If BB is allowed to contribute to his high personal standards, P8 will rock. 

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

RAMWorks ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:47 PM

Well if they are going to overhaul the interface then I MIGHT be interested in an upgrade..... love to see what they have planned.... 😄

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 8:57 PM

I'd show you if I was allowed to, but I'm not. Boo hoo.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kittystavern ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 9:42 PM

I am looking forward to Poser 8. 
I had been hoping that Smith Micro was going to say start advertising or give an eta or something since DAZ released DS 3 Advanced not long ago. 
I have a long wishlist of things that I would like to see in this version and made sure to include them in the survery they had awhile ago.  I cannot wait for Siggraph to hear more of what they have planned. 
I'll be pre-ordering the upgrade as soon as it's available!

RAMWorks ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 10:57 PM

Quote - I'd show you if I was allowed to, but I'm not. Boo hoo.

Answer me this at least, is it much more customizable than the old interface??  How about being able to multi  select body parts and in the Material Room, surfaces??  I know in the Material Room now, it's one surface or all surfaces but your talking to a DS user.  I love being able to select multiple body parts when I need to and in the Surfaces tab (since I do allot of tweaking of surfaces and even do an occasional freebie (I do texture work))  I don't want to have to apply an effect one at a time, it's easier to Ctrl + Select the needed areas to paste in the info.  Not dissing Poser for what it can do but was really hoping in version 7 that this would be made possible and was not.  Really needs options like this for my sort of work flow. 

Thanks!! 😄

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Kaleb242 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:00 PM

Attached Link: Poser 8 active domain link

This link works:

http://poser8.smithmicro.com/

Not much there except the SIGGRAPH 2009 image...

~K

Kaleb242 ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:10 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:11 PM

I too don't care about any of the included content with a Poser upgrade,
I've never used any of the default poser figures for anything... Alyson will remain as ignored as Sydney in my runtime.

What I am interested in is whether or not this will include many of the features in Poser Pro, such as HDRI rendering, background rendering, and network rendering support for at least 3 other computers... a UI overhaul with faster load time and rendering time would be ideal.

Including a fast and stable 64-bit version for Intel Macs running Leopard or greater would also be a good reason to upgrade... not the content.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:10 PM

I am very worried about a new interface to be honest. The Poser interface isn't perfect but it is better than many and it works well for me.

pzrite ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 11:54 PM

Dang!  I knew I shouldn't have disassembled my time machine last week.  Now I can't fast forward in time and avoid the agonizing wait!

The sad part is, I'm mostly using Daz Studio now....but I'm still gonna get the new version of Poser, just because it's there. (like a mountain that has to be climbed) :rolleyes:

pzrite ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 12:05 AM · edited Fri, 26 June 2009 at 12:06 AM

Oh and btw, Mike Campau who did the artwork on the Poser 8 image is a graphic artist that runs a company called SeventhStreet Studios.  I noticed one of his renderings on his site looks kind of similar to that of the Poser 8 female:

http://www.seventhstreetstudio.com/simplecg/259/blue-eyes

If someone wants to contact him and maybe get the real scoop, there's an email address to write to.  I'm too chicken to do it myself. :scared:

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 2:19 AM · edited Fri, 26 June 2009 at 2:20 AM

Quote - Oh and btw, Mike Campau who did the artwork on the Poser 8 image is a graphic artist that runs a company called SeventhStreet Studios.  I noticed one of his renderings on his site looks kind of similar to that of the Poser 8 female:

That's because it is her. Here's a quote:

"This image is 100% computer generated (3D). We used an off-the-shelf basic 3D character program (Poser) and pushed it to its maximum capacity. "Blue Eyes" was used in a feature article on e-frontier's website (maker of Poser)."

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 3:14 AM

BB not working on materials and lights?

thats like the worst poser news ................

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 5:26 AM

I will buy it as soon as I can..  I'm very excited about poser 8
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

SeanMartin ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 5:45 AM

The figure shown: I love the eyes. That's a major leap forward. IMHO. If the artist had to push anything, I hope he'll share what he did. The facial structure, like others have noted, seems a little off, but it's much better than Jessi or Sydney. And yeah, I suspect we're finally going to see a hair room that actually works.

But I'm keping credit card firmly in wallet for now. I passed on versions 5 and 6 and came back to 7 happily surprised at its stability (on a Mac, which may be a different experience from a PC user's). I dont know about a drastic change in the interface, if that does indeed come about: I'm used to the Krause-inspired track ball and love it very much. Still, I'm open to a new possibility as long as it isnt a techno-freak holiday like other 3D packages I've had to endure.

But glad to see it coming along. Frankly, I was worried for a while.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 6:09 AM

I wonder if there'll be a Poser 8 "Pro", or whether the more advanced capabilites of Poser Pro will be built into Poser 8?

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

DarrenUK ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 6:16 AM

Also looking forward to Poser 8 as I didn't upgrade to Poser 7. Started upgrading my software every other release unless there is something new that really blows me away.

Hopefully that picure is just a morph of Alisons. I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again. To give the user the ability to create varied and more realistic (or stylised) characters, the base mesh has to be fairly neutral (Like V4). It is the morphs that make the character. It's all very well creating a figure that looks really good from the box, but not so good when you try to make it look different.
I've seen complaints about the current Poser boxed figures in this thread, and I've got to agree. Poser was designed so people without expensive modelling programs and years of 3d experience could create artwork and animations with people in it. No good to the amateur unless all your female pictures are supposed to have "Victoria Beckham" in them.
No disrespect to the merchants. Many of them have created fantastic new character sets for these figures, which do make them look different to the default. It would just be nice if say a newbie could do that for themselves. I think that the inclusion of the face room, and the morphing tools in P7 have tried to address this. I don't know about the morphing tools but the face room is almost next to useless.
Most fantastic characters I've seen have been "dial spun" or created using morphs done in other programs on Daz3D figures.
I will get Poser 8 as long as they haven't screwed with interface too much, not for the figures, but for the ease of use and hopefull new and improved features to the program itself (cannot get my head around the DS gui).

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

titanhoss ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 6:36 AM

Big question I'd have,
would it be linux compatible.

Titanhoss

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 6:50 AM

If Bagginsbill is helping with the interface at least we can safely assume it's going to look good even if the rest of it doesn't work & it's about time as the poser interface as we know it is 11 years old.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 6:52 AM

Quote - Big question I'd have,
would it be linux compatible.

Titanhoss

With Wine every version is compatible. ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.