Wed, Sep 18, 5:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Nikkor VR Lens Problem

Stevej46 ( ) posted Wed, 01 July 2009 at 5:26 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 6:48 AM

I have a 70-300 Nikkor VR Lens that I use with my D80 Nikon. I normally shoot with just a UV filter. A few days ago I decided to use a polarizer filter while shooting surfer photos on a beach. When I got home and viewed my shots on the screen, they are were blurred. I have very few blurred photos when shooting without this filter.

Anyone know what is happening?

A year or so ago I had a Neutral Density Filter that would not focus sharp either. I chalked that one up to a poor quality filter bought over the internet. Now I am not sure.

Can the filter effect the ability of the Auto Focus on the D80 Camera?

Steve

danob ( ) posted Wed, 01 July 2009 at 5:40 PM

Both ND and Polarised filters reduce light maybe by as much as two stops, so this may well explain blurred images as you will drop down past where hand holding will cause camera shake..  Also the filter needs to be the circular type for digital cameras

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

whaleman ( ) posted Wed, 01 July 2009 at 9:03 PM

Are you using a circular polarizing filter? The older type of polarizers do not work with digital cameras. I use the same lens and just tried it with my Hoya circular polarizing filter. I experienced no blurring.

Wayne

gradient ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2009 at 12:54 AM

I think Danny probably hit the nail on the head....what was the shutter speed shown in the exif of the blurred photos?

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

Stevej46 ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2009 at 9:20 AM

I am sure the polarizer I have is NOT a circular polarizer. I checked exif data. It appears most of the blurred photos were shot from 1/400 to 1/640 which is very similar to the shutter speed I used when I had sharp pictures taken without the polarizer.

Is there any such thing as a circular ND filter?

Steve

danob ( ) posted Thu, 02 July 2009 at 11:07 AM

Yes Steve just the same 400-640 th of a sec is still slow for handheld action shots you can do a test and look at the exif data with and without to confirm No Circular types are only for Polarising filters or combined UVpolarising filters.   These Filters have glass crystal embedded in a circular pattern to filter out "Dirty Light" which causes blurred edges and blending colours.

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

busi2ness ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 11:36 AM

Well I learned some things too. I use a polarizer with no ill effects on my Nikkor lens but had no idea it was of a special kind.

I hope you get your problems solved as i am using ONLY the polarizer in daylight as a means of protection for my lens and the added color enriching. I found the UV haze can be digitally altered quite easily and hence have not had any reason to use a UV since my change over to DSLR.

Piet Vermeulen, South Africa

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.