Thu, Sep 19, 4:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Grunge Art - A Tutorial

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 10:49 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 2:54 PM
bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2009 at 11:22 PM

file_433449.jpg

simple and well written tutorial..

I used a few different layers

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

Onslow ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 12:22 AM

Thanks Shari I will certainly try this :)

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2009 at 6:47 PM

Shari, this is an easy one to follow.  The problem is getting the right texture and original image. With those elements, great results easily! Thanks very much.  I will not post the one I just did since it is among the wrong image or texture choice categories.        Tom.

Thanks for the printer friendly version. I simply do not like to read from the net and ony have one monitor to use.

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:01 PM · edited Thu, 25 June 2009 at 6:03 PM

file_433568.jpg

What I have seen is somewhat pretty and nice...mine somehow went a different way.  I am not sure it is grunge..the look is not grunge to me.

This is a red panda over moss.

bentchick ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 12:23 AM · edited Fri, 26 June 2009 at 12:25 AM

file_433594.jpg

Hey..... that was fun!!! I had to stick it in CS2 cuz I just got CS4 and am just learning where everything is and I got frustrated. So my second try actually started looking kind of cool! Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Click on the pic to get the full "Grunge" effect!

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

awjay ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 4:42 PM

,ll

awjay ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 4:48 PM

may i suggest you dont just stick with overlay.. try all the individual  drop down options..and adjust them with the slider

bentchick ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2009 at 8:56 PM

Yeah, I played around with the other options and came up with some cool effects, but with the particular photo I had picked to try it out didn't work with alot of those options. I could see where you could get some other great looks!
My main problem was the textures themselves. I only have the presets that come with the program and need to download some more, when I find time! LOL :P

Kim Hawkins

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 11:54 AM

file_433690.jpg

One last try here...I really need other textures to use...again, I am not sure this one qualifies as grunge.

SWAMP ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 3:10 PM

Attached Link: http://urbandirty.com/gallery/

“The problem is getting the right texture…”

In the Photoshop forum, “bonestructure” posted a link to some fantastic “grunge” textures I find very useful for this technique.

Chuck

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 27 June 2009 at 3:41 PM

file_433702.jpg

Thanks, Swamp.  I am not subtle enough but this "one last try" may be closer. Anyway, I like this one.  The texture is from the location you linked.

The technique is interesting and I might try to get a good one and print it...to see how casual viewers may react.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Sun, 28 June 2009 at 9:20 AM

Really great stuff..

Here's a question, would you folks be interested in a Free Stuff section, where we can share textures?

I'm sure we can get the nice folks at Rendo to set one up for us.

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

bentchick ( ) posted Sun, 28 June 2009 at 5:52 PM

Yeah! I'm all for it! I actually was having a good time making up some of my own textures after reading a tutorial on how. I'm still having a problem saving them, they don't show up in my texture file, so I misplaced them somewhere. LOL ;P

Kim Hawkins

bentchick ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2009 at 9:49 PM

file_433828.jpg

Very cool!! Thanks Bruce! I'll check them out when I have a little more time.

Here is another one I did with another crappy picture, but I'm learning more of my PSCS4 too, so that's a good thing!

Kim Hawkins

Ra3vyn ( ) posted Sat, 04 July 2009 at 6:17 AM

Thought I'd give the Grunge a try.. any good? :)

busi2ness ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 10:03 AM

Bruce I think it's  a great idea since I have started my personal FTP site to store some recommended textures for starters. I do however think it's more appropriate to store those here on Rosity.

Keep me posted please.

Piet Vermeulen, South Africa

tizjezzme ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 10:52 AM

Its great to see you all give my little tut a try .. and yes, DO try all the drop down options rather than just OVERLAY ... I use overlay most of the time.  but thanks for reminding me to try the others... GREAT stuff here.

"The only thing coming straight out of MY camera is the cable!"
P. Vermeulen

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Sun, 05 July 2009 at 1:50 PM · edited Sun, 05 July 2009 at 1:51 PM

file_434210.jpg

Great tut, I've done grunge before, but not with photography, (until today). I ended up using about 4 different layers all told and then a final masking border. Here is my result.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So where do they go when a photograph leaves you speechless? 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.