Mon, Sep 23, 3:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: Avi software editing tool

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 7:36 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 3:19 PM

Hell to all.

I m looking for a  video software editing tool,
I want to import a Poser avi into it and add voice over(wav file)
Normally I would use AEfx but its gone bottoms up with sound files and untill I can sort that out I really need substitute for the moment.

AVI file size is 5 GIG

Any help would be truly appreaciated.

pete

jonnybode ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 7:48 AM

Hi!

My choise of  program is "virtualdub" (for video) together with "Audacity" for editing wave files, both proggy are free open source.

Therer are also lots of free plugins for Virtualdub on the net.

Regards / Jonny

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:12 AM

Hi johny,

yes Ive heard of that actually Ill have a look,thanks for your reply:)

pete

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 12:20 PM

Just curious, but I presume there is no such thing as a free video editor app that has the ability to perform dissolves or other multiple source transitions & effects?

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 12:28 PM

Well actually if thats all you want to do you should certainly look at the Windows movie Maker,if your OS is XP then its allready installed if not google it ,lots of functions and good quality results,drawbacks are Export files are Window-WMV,good compression though .does a really neat fade in fade out instantly and no hassle

pete

jonnybode ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 12:31 PM · edited Mon, 06 July 2009 at 12:33 PM

Hi!

I have a filter for Virtualdub that handles "dissolves" (if it means what i think it means, overlay of frames?)

I can look at the readme and see who made it if interested (it was free).

"multiple source transitions " I dont understand what that means ( english is not my first language) but maybe you can explain it?

Regards / Jonny

P.s. quote "drawbacks are Export files are Window-WMV", Windows movie maker can export AVI.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 1:07 PM

Hi Johny,
Dissolves is a variation on "fade" a Fade changes its opacity from 100% down to 0% opacity  in a predtermined time ,so in fact when you move from one scene to the next for example the end of the first scene fades out  and the next scene fades in from 0% opacity to 100% opacity and gives a nice smooth transition.
A dissolve I think is simiar but from what Ive seen it breaks up the image into tiny particles as it dissapears??
I am interested in the dissolve function for Virtual Dub thanks.
Windows movie maker can export AVI, Thats great but could you explain to me how please.

"multiple source transitions "see link and look at section 8 on the contents/first page left

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=31088&seqNum=8

pete

jonnybode ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:38 PM · edited Mon, 06 July 2009 at 2:44 PM

Hi again Pete!

Heres how i do to export AVI from Windows movie maker:

1: Menu File
2: Save movie file (opens up guide "save movie")
3: Choose "for this computer"
4: Give the movie a name
5: Choose radio button "other settings"
6: from drop down list, pick DV-Avi

Regarding Virtualdub, look for the version that supports mpeg2.

The filter im talkin about is called "frame merger" and is available among many others here:
http://www.thedeemon.com/VirtualDubFilters/
Im not sure it truly "disolves" but i use upon changes of scenery.
What is true is that there are many people creating free plugins for virtualdub which makes it a very competent program.

I shall now read about "multiple source transitions".

Regards / Jonny

P.S If you add the free "Avisynth" to your tool list you can play movies backward in Virtualdub too, it can be a little tricky to set up but I think I can help you with that.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 5:21 PM

Hi Johny again:)

Thanks for that ,actually gave me a good copy in avi and a smaller version for mobile devices in avi also and good quality.

Havent had time to go to the site yet ,tomorrow so ill give you buzz when Ive got the goodies.

Thanks again,

Regards ,

Pete

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 06 July 2009 at 8:31 PM

Thanks for the virtualdub & addon filters info jonnybode.

The multi-source transitions question was mine, and by that I was just referring to a visual transition that employs overlapping images from more than one source file  - such as:

• a full frame "dissolve" (or cross-fade) correctly described above,
  • a "wipe", where one image source replaces another in some type of animated geometric pattern (such as a "circle-wipe" growing out of the center of the screen),
  • or a "key" where the images are layered or matted based on some pattern of visual data, such as a (3rd) alpha file, or based on the brightness or a color in one of the images (aka: a Chroma-Key).

jonnybode ( ) posted Tue, 07 July 2009 at 12:36 AM

Hi Nance!

A type of cross-fade plugin (beside frame merger) do exist for Virtualdub, I just cant find the filter now but I know ive used it in the past.

"Wipe" or "Key" I dont know if they are available as plugins, but then again there are a lot of them out there.

The beuty of Virtualdub, Avisynt and Audacity is that they are small free programs that are pretty easy to use, and in my opinion rather powerful.

I now have to quote myself on something:
"If you add the free "Avisynth" to your tool list you can play movies backward in Virtualdub too"
That sounded stupid, what i meant was that you can take a movie and reverse it so it plays up backwards.
Hope that makes sense :-)

Regards / Jonny

jdcooke ( ) posted Tue, 07 July 2009 at 10:14 AM

Don't hurt me but,....   here is a quick tutorial on how to use Blender for editing video....

straightedgelinux.com/videoBlender/ 

good luck

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 07 July 2009 at 10:29 AM

www.videohelp.com and browse the tools section.  It lists a lot of the free or shareware programs as well as some of the commercial products.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 07 July 2009 at 12:23 PM

Hello.
Ive downloaded the "Audacity" software for editng WAV files but cant acess the effects,
I suppose they would be LADSPA_plugins-win-0.4.15,has any one had experience with these plugins?

pete

jonnybode ( ) posted Tue, 07 July 2009 at 3:12 PM

Hi Pete!

Are you sure that you have selected a part of the sound file first, if not the effects will be all faded out.

Regards / Jonny

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 07 July 2009 at 3:43 PM

Hi Johny.

Actually Thats what happened first off so i restarted Audacity but with same net result??

Regards Pete

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 07 July 2009 at 3:46 PM

Hi johny,
Sorry it works now after running a sound track through it,

Thanks have a good evening:)

regards pete

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 7:49 AM

Hello to you all.

Back again with more questions,
This time Im doing the finals to my Poser animation,
Im useing Virtual Dub and Im haveing difficulties with getting the voice over to syncronise with the text boxes on the video as they roll down the time line.

In other words the animation begins and runs without voice over until Frame 583 (0:00:19.763) [K]
so its at this point I want the voice over to begin,
there are 6 voice overs in all ,each one following directly in the path of the previous with a 4 second delay.
Any help would be appreceated

Pete

jdcooke ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 1:20 PM

In Virtual Dub,  under the "Audio" menu,  you'll see,  "Interleaving...."  .  There is an option in that dialogue called "Audio Skew Correction" .  Use this option by adding a positive or negative value so that the audio begins when you want it to.  ( Use trial and error, to find the right value)

take care

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 2:30 PM

Hi Jd,Thanks for that,I had tried it but didnt really understand the function,I suppose Ill have to that for each audio block I bring in,or am I limited to one audio track only?

pete

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.