Fri, Oct 4, 2:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: what a rip off the Simon Resource at CP was

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:13 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 12:18 PM

I bought the Simon Resource last Friday, cuz it said it came with the eyebrows and lips on a separate layer.

All they did was wipe around the brows and lips with an eraser brush.  Leaving skin bits around it.

Anyone could've done that with Simon's included head tex without spending $10.25 for it.

why couldn't I have been born an artist. is this how William Shatner feels about singing?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:26 PM · edited Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:27 PM

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

Lips are frequently added to a texture by making a soft edge just outside the actual colored/wrinkled layer of the lip. It helps it blend down into what's underneath.

I'm really unsure what you mean by anyone could have done that with Simon's texture ;o).

Are you having trouble with something?

Laurie

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:34 PM

Have you tried contacting the creator about this, Misty?

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:37 PM

yeah.  It's completely useless.   I'm just whining my frustration. 

I'm really unsure what you mean by anyone could have done that with Simon's texture ;o).

I mean anyone could have used the Photoshop eraser brush and erased a perimeter around the eyebrows, like was done in the Simon Resource product.

Picking up eyebrows with the magic wand, now that's a trick.  
I thought I was paying $10.25 for someone's magical skill.

Poor Simon.  He's a handsome bloke, such potential.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:47 PM

Quote - Have you tried contacting the creator about this, Misty?

Not yet.

My hopes were so high going home Friday with my shiny Simonresource.zip file.  The disappointment is still weighing me down.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:48 PM · edited Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:48 PM

Quote - yeah.  It's completely useless.   I'm just whining my frustration. 

I mean anyone could have used the Photoshop eraser brush and erased a perimeter around the eyebrows, like was done in the Simon Resource product.

Picking up eyebrows with the magic wand, now that's a trick.  
I thought I was paying $10.25 for someone's magical skill.

Poor Simon.  He's a handsome bloke, such potential.

Well, in the author's defense, you can't just plop an image of a face onto a texture template and expect it to fit...LOL. You have to chop it up, rotate some areas to follow the lines of the model, etc. If you are using one face image (or series of images) of a single person, it's going to take many pieces of that face to get the texture looking right on the template and, ultimately, the model. I would go around the eyebrows just as in your resource pack ;o). Picking up just the eyebrow hairs with the magic wand is nigh to impossible (from someone who's tried...LOL). There are some artists who use painted eyebrows so that the skin from the texture shows thru, but not everyone is skilled at painting eyebrows (raises hand) and most of the time it ends up looking not quite right :o).

Laurie

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:51 PM

Quote -

Well, in the author's defense, you can't just plop an image of a face onto a texture template and expect it to fit...LOL. You have to chop it up, rotate some areas to follow the lines of the model, etc. If you are using one face image (or series of images) of a single person, it's going to take many pieces of that face to get the texture looking right on the template and, ultimately, the model. I would go around the eyebrows just as in your resource pack ;o). Picking up just the eyebrow hairs with the magic wand is nigh to impossible (from someone who's tried...LOL). There are some artists who use painted eyebrows so that the skin from the texture shows thru, but not everyone is skilled at painting eyebrows (raises hand) and most of the time it ends up looking not quite right :o).

Laurie

I share the pain Poser sister.  The high-res maps are unforgiving.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:55 PM

Quote - I share the pain Poser sister.  The high-res maps are unforgiving.

Don't I know it! I'm doing one now and I'm nearly bald...LOL stares at pile of hair on floor around computer.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:56 PM · edited Tue, 14 July 2009 at 12:59 PM

I'm gonna assume you mostly just wanted the lips or eyebrows? Anyway, your best bet is to get a resource that has just those (and painted eyebrows). Then you can place them where you want :o). I have a couple resource packs like that. They'll work on nearly any texture too.

Another option is to get yourself some photo references (I use those also). Whip out the pen tool and silo (silhouette) the lips right at the edge of the colored part. I love doing silo's...LOL.

Laurie

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 1:17 PM

file_434701.jpg

I've been experimenting with rendering dynamic hair and saving to png to map.  don't have to worry about skin in between.  but the hair roots, ickee.  eyebrows are going to take a lot more styling.

There is an artist here on Renderosity "Antje" with some amazing looking brushes.

I sent off an email inquiry about possible eyebrow brushes.  Cross fingers.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 1:20 PM

Quote - I've been experimenting with rendering dynamic hair and saving to png to map.  don't have to worry about skin in between.  but the hair roots, ickee. 
eyebrows are going to take a lot more styling.

There is an artist here on Renderosity "Antje" with some amazing looking brushes.

I sent off an email inquiry about possible eyebrow brushes.  Cross fingers.

That would be right nice ;o).

Laurie

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 1:41 PM

Misty, is it possible to return the item?

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 15 July 2009 at 7:45 AM

Yup a refund request is a message to the creator that maybe they need to take a look at either improving the product or doing a price check. It takes a lot of skill as well as artistry to make a decent map and some folks just copy paste and throw stuff out to market. They need to have a message sent that this is not acceptable.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 15 July 2009 at 11:17 AM

I'll try.   Even for a store credit would be a help.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 11:19 AM · edited Thu, 16 July 2009 at 11:24 AM

They refunded the $10.25.  yayy.

Or, it says they did. 

It's not on my credit card and I can't figure out how to see if I have a store credit on their website.

Ahh, it's a coupon code.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 11:44 AM

At least it's something ;)

Laurie

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 16 July 2009 at 6:36 PM

I would encourage you to next time to try and get in touch with the artist/creator...maybe this was an area that they overlooked when creating the product (???).

It would at least give them a "heads up" that there is a potential problem, allowing them an opportunity to correct the issue and make the product even better.

A better product and a happy customer...that's a win/win situation in my playbook. 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

nyguy ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 7:09 AM

I have bought a few of them resource kits, that where not much of a resources but of a disappointment. I have been working on some textures myself and I have found some pretty good brushes for eyebrow brushes free. One of them is Eyebrow Brushes by ps-brushes.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 9:05 AM

And they're free for use! How nice :o).

Laurie

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 9:16 AM

eyebrow brushes!  thanks nyguy!

a search turned up a skin for Simon right here on Renderosity.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=54297&keyword=jepes+nash

DAZ lists a couple of resource kits for V4 and M4.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 4:11 PM

Oh, those stinkers at CP

I applied part of the store credit they gave me on a purchase last week.

And I went back today to buy some brushes, thinking I would apply the rest of the refund to bring down the total. 

NAY!

One time only coupon already used

It's only a few dollars, but it's a buyer's confidence thing. 
I don't need those brushes that badly.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 4:15 PM · edited Fri, 24 July 2009 at 4:15 PM

I'd let them know - this was a store CREDIT and not a coupon. Maybe they should treat the store credits more like a gift certificate.

Laurie

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 4:20 PM

I never want to see there website again.

It's a shame, it was a set of Tiara brushes.  I'm crossing my fingers I can find them here or RDNA.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 4:26 PM

I understand your reluctance...lol. However, if you don't voice your disatisfaction, this will go on, for other folks. Seems SM needs a few nudges in the customer service direction. Maybe they just don't realize that parts of the site are not working like they, um, should.

Laurie

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 4:51 PM

I consoled myself at DAZ.

I bought the Darla character, she is soo adorable.  Clothes for her will be a new project for this weekend.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 5:10 PM · edited Fri, 24 July 2009 at 5:10 PM

LOL...well, nice to see you're over it

Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.