Tue, Oct 22, 1:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: OT - Disturbing news about the life of those back-up discs

ecccoman ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 6:17 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:41 AM

Apparently, even name-brand discs are likely to have significant failures after 7 years.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/cdr-dvdr-nero-storage,news-4269.html

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 8:35 AM

Nothing new-I've had problems with "Forget-ex" CD/Rs after 5 or 6 years, so I buy only Verbatim now.  I moved everything over to DVD/R.  I was hoping for a great new storage advance to move them to, but nothing yet.

I make at least two copies on anything vital.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Larry F ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 8:46 AM

I agree.  That might be disturbing, but it is hardly news.  Not to minimize the negative effects.  I do know this from personal experience.  WandW said it:  "Two copies of anything vital." 

urbanarmitage ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 9:00 AM

Well WandW, there is blue-ray which gives you 50 Gig or more on a single disk (dependant on media), but I would suggest waiting for a while. The media are hellishly expensive right now, but will come down as more sales start happening. It's new technology but has been around for a while now.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 9:05 AM

Although it is new technology, the longevity issue is still relatively unknown.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 9:19 AM

Dr Geep has a slide on CDR vs CDRW.

I hope the flash drives last a long time.  I've been keeping my DAZ downloads on them.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

undercover747 ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 10:12 AM

I keep all critical data on a second hard drive. My primary hard drive only contains the operating system and installed programs. The second hard drive is backed up weekly to another hard drive so I always have two copies of everything. I've had too many CD's and DVD's fail to trust them to anything critical. To MLP, I've had those flash drives fail as well, seems kinda scary to me. Huge hard drives are pretty cheap these days for peace of mind.

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 11:27 AM

Precisely why my back ups are triplicated as per NASA recommendations!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 11:34 AM

Quote - Precisely why my back ups are triplicated as per NASA recommendations!

coughmoonlandingtapescough

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 11:37 AM

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 1:32 PM

NEVER use CDRW!!
not sure why they still make them.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 1:52 PM

CDRW!!!  The ultimate in corruptable storage media!!

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 3:19 PM

Print out the binary contents of every file. Acid free paper lasts for centuries. Now the restore might be a bit of a hassle though. 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Silke ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 4:31 PM

Quote - Print out the binary contents of every file. Acid free paper lasts for centuries. Now the restore might be a bit of a hassle though. 

You might need storage facilities the size of a library, too. :)

I find it amazing that in all those advances, we still have nothing as durable as the ole chiseled stone tablets. :)

Silke

Silke ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 4:44 PM

Actually, I tell you something else.

I'm a fountain pen nut. I love them. I have lots of them. I use them every day. EVERY day.
I do another weird thing. I write on paper. I put it in an envelope and I send it to people.
You know, kinda like an email, but oldskool. ;)

Now, we talked about this among us letter writers. My postman actually knocked on the door once, to hand deliver a letter. When I asked him why he'd knocked, he said "I wanted to know who gets all those amazing letters. No one else on my round gets hand written proper mail anymore."

That is SAD.

The thing is, I dug out my old letters, written 20 years ago, when my significant other lived here in the UK, and I lived in Germany. My dad would yell "Write a postcard!" whenever I picked up the phone. So we wrote letters. Lots of them. Back and forth.
I read them a little while back and it brought a smile to my face, a hearty chuckle and a totally warm and fuzzy feeling.

Today, everyone texts and emails.
Which is very well, but it's not like having a handwritten letter. And those emails and texts don't generally get printed and saved.
So in 20 years time, what will those lovers of today have left to remember?
Nada. Nothing. Zilch. Zip.

And if some day someone pulls out my letters when I'm long gone, and reads them, and sees what went on at the time, what mattered to me and what didn't, and they then form an opinion about what the world was like... then don't blame me if you get "The world according to Silke", just because everyone else emailed. :)

We're losing our heritage, our writing skills, our penmanship and - eventually - our history.
My letters are on decent paper, which will endure a rather long time. As will the ink I use.
I gently wax them, usually, which means they'll last even longer.
Our newspapers aren't on decent paper. It won't last all that long.
Our books aren't on decent paper either anymore, nor are they properly bound (as paperbacks).

It really is a shame, if you think about it, and I wonder what will be left of this digital age, in a hundred and fifty years.
What kind of legacy are we leaving, if there is no universal way to store something that will endure not just a decade, but possibly a millennium.

Silke

gagnonrich ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 7:18 PM

So far, I've still been able to read my ten year-old Poser content CDs. I've got a copy on my main computer's hard drive and on an external drive, and on a second drive left with a relative (just in case a home catastrophe wipes out everything in my house).

The one odd problem I've had with older CDs is that newer drives cannot reliably read directories nested more than four deep.  I haven't found anything on the net to explain this problem. It did spur me to backing up those disks onto DVDs, reading them on an old laptop.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

Terminius ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 8:20 PM

As USB thumb drives and the newer solid state drives become affordable in the near future i think one should back up three copies of everything just to be safe. Luckly thumb drives are becoming cheeper and bigger as of current.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 10:28 PM

But USB thumb drives are even more prone to failure if there is an arc or interruption of power.

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 22 July 2009 at 11:02 PM

I recently reinstalled Poser 7 and had my Poser DVD (from the box) crap out on me; fortunately I had made a copy.  I'm glad this thread came up, because it reminded me that I need to make a copy of that copy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 7:20 AM

I am in the process of making new copies of everything. I had pulled a ton of stuffage off two computers and put them on a terabyte external drive, which promptly failed on me. Was able to get most of the stuff back because I'm not using the other two computers much and there is free software out there that pulled back what I had deleted. I don't trust any media anymore which is a pity in this day and age.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 9:50 AM

Silke
actually books are on BETTER paper now!
problem wih paper in 60s to 80s was acid content os many of them go brown and crumble.
hence massive conservation work.

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 6:27 PM

how about the archive CDs ... supposedly they last for a couple hundred years. More expensive though, but if they work, probably well worth it
http://www.mam-a.com/products/gold/archive.html

archival DVD too

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 6:47 PM

Not news whatsoever. I've known for a long time that you're lucky to get better than about 3 years life out of a CD-R (never mind a CDRW). That's one reason (along with space limitations) why I gave up backing up onto CD-Rs; hard drives have much better long term integrity (assuming you keep them virus-free).

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 9:02 PM

You guys are scaring me. I have 2 external hardrives with fun movies etc. and poser project files. 
And i don't back up... i don't have money to buy more and more external drives for backup. So to backup you need to be rich?

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 9:21 PM

Portable drives are dirt cheap nowadays. I'd buy one. Really, that's all you need: your data will be both on your main hard drive, and on your portable. And you won't be burning disc after disc.

Of course, you only need to back up what you're afraid of losing.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

gagnonrich ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 10:52 PM

Attached Link: http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/operating-systems/nix/news-analysis/index.cfm?articleid=1298&pn=2

This article says the nominal lifespan of hard drives is roughly five years.

Perceptions of this lifespan may be somewhat skewed by the fact that users tend to replace their computers/hard drives about every 3-5 years. A 5-year old hard drive has less than 5% of the capacity of an equivalent priced drive today. That means users tend to replace their drives before experiencing a major failure.

If a CD/DVD is unreadable, try reading it in the drive that created it and on an older computer. Compatibility issues may well be the culprit. Newer drives are optimized for fast disk burns compared to older drives.

A few years ago, I backed up 100 of my old Poser content CDs (upwards at that time to seven years old) and did not have a single unreadable disk (mostly TDK brand).  I've had one hard drive crash out of about ten internal hard disks I've owned over the years (on a 7 yr-old computer). My experiences won't match everybody's, but it makes me leary about betting that a hard drive is the best means of archiving digital data.

The jury is not yet out on external hard drives because consumer priced models haven't been around all that long. The oldest ones tend to get mothballed before they reach their terminal lifespan because of the speed at which larger drives hit the markets.

The scarier part of today's large drives is that a loss can mean losing over a terabyte of data.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 11:27 PM

Quote - This article says the nominal lifespan of hard drives is roughly five years.

Perceptions of this lifespan may be somewhat skewed by the fact that users tend to replace their computers/hard drives about every 3-5 years.

People like us tend to. Many people don't. And that's why I find that five year statement pretty sketchy. Moreover, if you have data on two drives (your computer's and your portable/external), it's a no-brainer that if one dies, you back up the other one.

Something else to keep in mind: a tech can usually grab data from a hard drive in an emergency. Good luck ever recovering data from a disc.

deni67 ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 3:42 AM

Quote - Actually, I tell you something else.

I'm a fountain pen nut. I love them. I have lots of them. I use them every day. EVERY day.
I do another weird thing. I write on paper. I put it in an envelope and I send it to people.
You know, kinda like an email, but oldskool. ;)

Now, we talked about this among us letter writers. My postman actually knocked on the door once, to hand deliver a letter. When I asked him why he'd knocked, he said "I wanted to know who gets all those amazing letters. No one else on my round gets hand written proper mail anymore."

That is SAD.

The thing is, I dug out my old letters, written 20 years ago, when my significant other lived here in the UK, and I lived in Germany. My dad would yell "Write a postcard!" whenever I picked up the phone. So we wrote letters. Lots of them. Back and forth.
I read them a little while back and it brought a smile to my face, a hearty chuckle and a totally warm and fuzzy feeling.

Today, everyone texts and emails.
Which is very well, but it's not like having a handwritten letter. And those emails and texts don't generally get printed and saved.
So in 20 years time, what will those lovers of today have left to remember?
Nada. Nothing. Zilch. Zip.

And if some day someone pulls out my letters when I'm long gone, and reads them, and sees what went on at the time, what mattered to me and what didn't, and they then form an opinion about what the world was like... then don't blame me if you get "The world according to Silke", just because everyone else emailed. :)

We're losing our heritage, our writing skills, our penmanship and - eventually - our history.
My letters are on decent paper, which will endure a rather long time. As will the ink I use.
I gently wax them, usually, which means they'll last even longer.
Our newspapers aren't on decent paper. It won't last all that long.
Our books aren't on decent paper either anymore, nor are they properly bound (as paperbacks).

It really is a shame, if you think about it, and I wonder what will be left of this digital age, in a hundred and fifty years.
What kind of legacy are we leaving, if there is no universal way to store something that will endure not just a decade, but possibly a millennium.

Bravo to you, you should leave your letters to a museum when you go to the mighty unknown for the kids of the future to see..lol

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 8:23 AM

I trusted my external hd and have since put stuffage on another, but will never trust it completely. Will be backing up on dvd, external hd and on at least one computer. Still don't know the true extent of my loss. My story is...don't  just use one source and you'll probably be fine.   8^)

tebop ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 9:32 AM

As long as I can finish my movie before my Hardrive dies, I"m good!! hehehe

3eighty ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 11:09 AM

Anybody use these on line backup companies..carbonite etc?  $50.00 a year  unlimited..????

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.