Sun, Oct 6, 11:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 8:35 AM
Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 9:57 AM
Online Now!

jeez philly, i clicked those 3 links you provided and the all lead to the same page :)
do you really think most people are going to take the time and actually read that stuff?
they would rather ask here

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

ziggie ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 10:49 AM

Some nice new add-ons for the old and out-dated Poser I suppose... to keep it slowly ticking along and to milk more money from the dedicated Poser users.

Couple of questions for those who were on the developement / beta team:

I. Have they added any refinements (which should have been there from day one) to menu selections... such as the abilty to collapse the Hierarchy, Object Parent, etc., menus to main figures only..?

1. Has it been tested in Windows 7 (and did it work?)

2. When is the Poser 8 SR1 due for release..??

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 11:07 AM

Sorry Dave-so, I really didn't mean to post three times. I tried reading, but it was over my head.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 11:11 AM

Quote -

Some nice new add-ons for the old and out-dated Poser I suppose... to keep it slowly ticking along and to milk more money from the dedicated Poser users.

Couple of questions for those who were on the developement / beta team:

I. Have they added any refinements (which should have been there from day one) to menu selections... such as the abilty to collapse the Hierarchy, Object Parent, etc., menus to main figures only..?

1. Has it been tested in Windows 7 (and did it work?)

2. When is the Poser 8 SR1 due for release..??

right. the beginning of the thread is that way. you'll find all the answers in it.

ziggie ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 11:39 AM

Quote - right. the beginning of the thread is that way. you'll find all the answers in it.

uhmm... excuse me... I read through the previous posts and saw none of those points mentioned.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 11:48 AM

well you missed the part about there being a serious re-write of the code base, ("Some nice new add-ons for the old and out-dated Poser I suppose.."), so I assumed you'd not read the thread. sorry about that...

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 12:07 PM
Online Now!

Hey, Philly ...I was just joking ... But the SM site does fill in a lot of the quesitons asked, except the one about when SR1 is being released. I would think they''re working on that already, though...and probably 2 and 3. It looks like 3 usually gets things settled down a bit, after all us beta testers whines ,b itches, and moans for a few months.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

ziggie ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 12:31 PM

Quote - well you missed the part about there being a serious re-write of the code base, ("Some nice new add-ons for the old and out-dated Poser I suppose.."), so I assumed you'd not read the thread. sorry about that...

No.... I read the whole thread, but... must admit I must have missed the bit about the 'serious re-write of the code base'

My main concerns are... whether it has been tested and found to work in Windows 7

and

Whether or not Heirarchy, etc., menus can be collapsed to just the main figures.

uli_k ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 12:50 PM

Quote - look see

I see you're running ForceWare 178.24, that's an outdated driver known to be problematic in conjunction with Poser. It can be configured to work properly with Poser Pro, but at this point you should just get the latest version from nvidia.com

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 5:07 PM

I figured the link to the Poser 8 page wasn't a live link yet. But I bookmarked it nevertheless. I am debating on if I will purchase it immediately when it goes on sale or not. I purchased P6 the day it went on sale, but waited a few months on Poser 7 and Poser Pro as I read peoples comments on those releases. I have seen some wonderful images from BB and I really am itching to use GI. I tried using the script that unburies GI in Poser Pro. I liked what I saw rendering but after 10 hours of it creeping along I had to kill the render. I am seriously hoping that the full support of GI doesn't do the same thing on my laptop.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

albertdelfosse ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 11:29 PM

Poser 8 looks pretty good. However I'm in the process of getting a 64 bit pc. Just waiting for Windows 7 to come out in stores. If Poser 8 is not going to be a 64 bit application, I'll most likely go, and pick up Daz Studio 3 Advanced. I want to be able to use the full memory, and power of my pc. If Poser 8 is not going to use it why bother getting it. 32 bit applications are out of date anyways, with the pc's out today.

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 2:23 AM

@**albertdelfosse
I agree wholeheartedly (although not about getting DS3 :-) ). I too want to be able to use my machine propery. 3D rendering applications are amongst the few types off app that actually do benefit from 64 bit operation. It truly is about time that Poser (not just pro) was released with 64 bit as an option. Many people are using 64bit now and many more will over the lifetime of P8 making P8 look an (even more) outdated application.

Some will argue that I should just wait for Poser Pro 2, and I will, but I hoped that the developers of Poser would have seen the light (sorry) and made this one nod towards a 64 bit future.

Bear ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 2:56 AM

@**albertdelfosse
              be carefull with Daz studio 3  as some of the advertised features do not work in the 64 bit version , like dynamic cloth for example .

cheers**

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:04 AM · edited Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:05 AM

**@albertdefosse

I agree as well. You should go get DS3 and leave Poser8 to those of us who don't have 64 bit computers.

Have fun.

toodles 8^)**

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:08 AM

While Smith Micro have not said either way, whether a 64-bit version will be available or not, I think you're the first person I've ever heard of who seems to actually WANT a crippled version.

My Freebies

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:22 AM

@pjz99
I don't know if you are refering to my post or not, but exactly what is crippled about a 64bit version? Have you ever used Poser Pro 64bit renderer because if you have I can't understand why you would ever want to go back to the much slower 32bit version with its memory limitations.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:24 AM

As long as they continue to support 32bit users for at least this version I could care less about a 64bit version. 64bit will be for my next machine if there is one.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:29 AM

@**EClark1894
I hesitate to say most, but I will say that a large proportion of PCs these days are 64bit capable. Other than some of the early core2 processors pretty well all are 64 bit capable. Just because most people choose to install a 32bit OS on them doesn't mean they aren't 64 bit capable. I think you will find that a significant proportion of users will go for 64bit Windows 7 and you will find prebuilt PCs will be delivred in increasing numbers with 64bit.

4gb memory seems pretty small beer today and 32bit can usually only use 3.2-3.4 gb of that, leaving the remainder useless. To use more you have to go 64 bit. I promise you that you will sooner or later. Probably sooner than you think.

What is your processor now?**

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:32 AM

Quote - @pjz99
I don't know if you are refering to my post or not, but exactly what is crippled about a 64bit version?

No, that was to EClark, who appears to be saying that he hopes Smith Micro will not release a 64-bit version (possibly because he thinks this means it can't be made to run on a 32-bit operating system).  That doesn't make sense to me either, don't worry.

My Freebies

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:43 AM

Ahh, durr, sorry pjz.

Now, the question remains, how long until Poser Pro 2 I wonder.

I really love the background rendering. I tend not to use the queue but that ability to set a render going and tweak things, either in the same render or the next scene,while it gets on with that really is useful. Being locked out of Poser 7 for hours while it renders is really limiting.

odf ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:44 AM

Well, my first computer had 6502 CPU with an 8-bit instruction set and 64kB of RAM. Frankly, I can wait another couple of years before I switch everything to 64 bit.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:47 AM

for real time anamtion
what would a charater polycount need to be for poser 8 ?
alfas n all work in preview right ?

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

bandolin ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 6:48 AM

Poser 8 could have fewer features, be less compatible, be harder to use and I'd still buy it.

I'm such a sucker.:blink:

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 7:22 AM

Quote - Well, my first computer had 6502 CPU with an 8-bit instruction set and 64kB of RAM. Frankly, I can wait another couple of years before I switch everything to 64 bit.

You rich jerk, living in luxury and claiming it is poverty! I had 8K - 8 I tell you. And one of my 8 bits broke off - I had to simulate it with the other 7.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

odf ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 7:25 AM

Quote - > Quote - Well, my first computer had 6502 CPU with an 8-bit instruction set and 64kB of RAM. Frankly, I can wait another couple of years before I switch everything to 64 bit.

You rich jerk, living in luxury and claiming it is poverty! I had 8K - 8 I tell you. And one of my 8 bits broke off - I had to simulate it with the other 7.

Uphill both ways?

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 7:29 AM

Quote - > Quote - Well, my first computer had 6502 CPU with an 8-bit instruction set and 64kB of RAM. Frankly, I can wait another couple of years before I switch everything to 64 bit.

7 bits??? I used to DREAM of 7 bits!  My parity bit got stuck at zero and the processor  was so slow I counted on my fingers faster than it could... my first "digital" computer!!!

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 7:32 AM

Sooo... Bill, can you give us any idea at all.. a hint... a teeny nudge... a cryptic clue... as to when Poser Pro 2 might be out??

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 9:48 AM

**Quote - @EClark1894
I hesitate to say most, but I will say that a large proportion of PCs these days are 64bit capable. Other than some of the early core2 processors pretty well all are 64 bit capable. Just because most people choose to install a 32bit OS on them doesn't mean they aren't 64 bit capable. I think you will find that a significant proportion of users will go for 64bit Windows 7 and you will find prebuilt PCs will be delivred in increasing numbers with 64bit.

4gb memory seems pretty small beer today and 32bit can usually only use 3.2-3.4 gb of that, leaving the remainder useless. To use more you have to go 64 bit. I promise you that you will sooner or later. Probably sooner than you think.**

What is your processor now?

Well, I do have a mac, which I just bought, and as I understand is probably 64 bit compatible, but not everybody's up to date. Plus I'm on the low end of the RAM pool so I don't want to tax my system that much. I can't afford to upgrade everytime something shiny and new comes out. And truth is, I'm going to be sacrificing to buy P8 when it comes out. I haven't been laid off yet, but it could be soon. I was concerned about P8's system requirements  anyway, and soon Snow Leopard's coming out. Well, I don't have a pocket full of cash to keep upgrading everything.
Hopefully, P8 will run on the system I have now.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 10:28 AM · edited Mon, 27 July 2009 at 10:28 AM

Quote - Sooo... Bill, can you give us any idea at all.. a hint... a teeny nudge... a cryptic clue... as to when Poser Pro 2 might be out??

That's the sort of thing that I'm not really in a position to say anything about for two reasons.

1) I don't know
2) If I did know and told you I'd have to kill you. It's in my contract.
:)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 10:37 AM

Quote - > Quote - Sooo... Bill, can you give us any idea at all.. a hint... a teeny nudge... a cryptic clue... as to when Poser Pro 2 might be out??

That's the sort of thing that I'm not really in a position to say anything about for two reasons.

1) I don't know

Aww rats! Couldn't you just "kill me a little bit"???

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 10:43 AM

Quote -

One has to assume that would NOT occur as a NBBIATWAS, especially after your wife complained about your avatar :biggrin:

To all the BT's thanks for all the examples and answering all the questions you can. Starting to become a little kid on the night before Christmas again....I can't wait much longer!

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

RAMWorks ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 10:52 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Sooo... Bill, can you give us any idea at all.. a hint... a teeny nudge... a cryptic clue... as to when Poser Pro 2 might be out??

1) I don't know

Aww rats! Couldn't you just "kill me a little bit"???

LMAO!!  Now that was funny!  :lol:

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

miketee10021 ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 2:46 PM
Online Now!

In Frankenstein-ese....

64 Bit - GOOOOOOOOD!

32 Bit - SLOOOOOOOOOOW!

Fire - BAD!

How can anyone want a slower, older program that takes longer to render? If you don't have a 32 bit machine, at least don't criticize folks who do and want to take advantage of 64 bit capabilities in their software!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 2:59 PM

Ugh. This is going on forever and was asked and answered, I thought.

SM has TWO Poser products. The cheaper one is 32-bit and the more expensive one is 64-bit. The cheaper one does not have GC, the more expensive one has GC.

For the time being, the cheaper one has a couple new features that the last release of the more expensive one does not have. When the more expensive, more complicated, more difficult to test app is updated, then it will be better than the cheaper one again.

Let me give an analogy.

At some point, the M3 came out with a better engine than the M5. The M5 was the better car, until the M3 was updated. Later, the M5 was updated and was once again the king of all BMWs.

Do you think the M5 owners went ballistic when the M3 was updated, or did they just wait for the new M5?

RFreise ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 3:09 PM · edited Mon, 27 July 2009 at 3:10 PM

OK probably gonna upset some people but Poser Pro is a 32 bit app it comes with a 32 and a 64 bit render setup only the renderer is 64 bit

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 3:37 PM

I went searching the web looking for what it takes to make a 32 bit program into a 64 bit program.

the simplest answer i found was this:

"This really depends on the application and how it has been coded. Some code can just be recompiled with a 64-bit compiler and it will just work, but usually this only happens if the code has been designed with portability in mind."

Anybody who has been in these forums for more than a month probably knows that Poser is (or was) based on some pretty old code. Not likely to have been written with portability in mind.

Anybody who has been paying attention to this thread probably knows that Poser 8 contains a large portion of updated/rewritten code (a rewrite that was started in Poser 6, believe it or not) but it is not yet complete.

Poser 8 may be 64 bit, or it may not. We don't know yet. But we do know that no amount of whining, crying or threats of with holding will make it go any faster.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 4:07 PM · edited Mon, 27 July 2009 at 4:11 PM

Quote - OK probably gonna upset some people but Poser Pro is a 32 bit app it comes with a 32 and a 64 bit render setup only the renderer is 64 bit

Yes, we know.

Its the renderer that benefits from being 64bit. The boring bit, the interface - main program bit, will benefit little or none for being 64bit and hence might as well stay that way.

@Tyger_purr
As I just wrote, we don't want the main part of the program made 64 bit, just the renderer, which has already been done in Poser Pro so I am betting it is just a recopmpile and hence simply a marketing decision from SM.

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 4:38 PM · edited Mon, 27 July 2009 at 4:39 PM

file_435389.JPG

> Quote - > Quote - Well, my first computer had 6502 CPU with an 8-bit instruction set and 64kB of RAM. Frankly, I can wait another couple of years before I switch everything to 64 bit. > > > You rich jerk, living in luxury and claiming it is poverty! I had 8K - 8 I tell you. And one of my 8 bits broke off - I had to simulate it with the other 7.

My first computer was an Atari 600XL. It used my tv as a monitor and I had a tape drive. I had to type in the code for my first word processing program. A few months later I upgraded to a Rana single sided 5 14" floppy drive. I had to use a hole punch on the floppies in order to record data on the other side.

P.S. Picture is from Ebay. My 600XL got traded in when I got an Atari 1040 STE.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 4:43 PM

file_435391.jpg

Heathkit H89 here ... Z80 CPU running at 2 MHz, 16K memory, 12 inch monochrome CRT, 80x24 characters resolution, no graphics, built in cassette interface. 

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 4:46 PM

You rat! Built in cassette interface!!! snicker But I still love Atari and it's TOS operating system. I still own 6 Atari 1040 STs and one Mega ST.

Weapons of choice:

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 4:53 PM

Oooh yeah the cassette ... about the only thing I used that computer for was a text adventure game, and that's also when I started tracing my family history. Had to have something to back it up on!

Can you imagine? a 2 MHz CPU? LOL!!! I think it cost $1595 and you had to literally build it yourself (my hubby did).

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 4:58 PM

For an additional $700 you could buy it completely assembled.

I never owned one, but I wrote business software professionally on it for a year. I loved that thing. None of the mature engineers at the time (I was 21) could make head or tail of it. It earned me enough in a few months to go buy a brand new Z28 Camaro, cash.

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 5:03 PM

You did well, BB! I had my first job at Wendy's at that time and bought my XL. I think it was under $300. I am a writer and was going to use it for that purpse, but at that time, trying to convince the dealer (who was a dick and didn't like women), that I could more than fill up one side of a 5 1/4" floppy with writing was one heck of an arguement. He didn't want to sell me a double sided drive. Said I didn't need that much power. snickering again. Filled up both side of a floppy in two days. If I had learned to program back then........ah well.

Weapons of choice:

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 5:04 PM

It was a pretty cool machine! I actually used it through the 80's ... and then finally got a graphics-capable computer in 1990. Haven't looked back since. 8-)

ahudson ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 5:05 PM

file_435392.jpg

Sinclair ZX80 (circa 1980) here (not including the IBM 360 at college :-) )

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 5:06 PM

P.S. I wrote my first novel in high school on a manual typewriter.

Weapons of choice:

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 5:08 PM

file_435393.jpg

DeeCey, Let me help you out a little...*snicker*

i feel a beat down coming! 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 5:09 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 27 July 2009 at 5:09 PM

I wrote all but the last chapter of my vampire novel on my Atari 1040, then ported it over to a pc that I bought from an Atari dealer who was going out of business. Corrected the final version of the novel on my first used Del Laptop. What I have now, I'm pretty sure it's a 32 bit machine with dual core. So as long as Poser 8 will run on this Toshiba, I'm happy.

Weapons of choice:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.