Sat, Oct 5, 12:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: Poser 8 advertised!

Kerya ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:02 AM

Thanks for that fast answer!
As I will get the upgrade, I can wait a bit. :biggrin:

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:05 AM

With the currency conversion rates at the moment, Poser8 upgrade will be £76 for me, I just have to be nice to my missus for a couple of days before I spring this on her. ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

andromedakun ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:13 AM

Hi Everyone,

I must admit I didn't really want to read the 49 pages, but does anyone know if the lightning has been made a lot easier since Poser 6? Also, will this version work with Vue Complete?

Thanks,

Andro

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:14 AM

Quote - With the currency conversion rates at the moment, Poser8 upgrade will be £76 for me, I just have to be nice to my missus for a couple of days before I spring this on her. ;)

Easy solution.... Interflora... "Say It With Flowers."

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:18 AM

Is it just poser 8 out?  did they say anything about poser pro 2?
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:30 AM

Well I'll say it now before anyone else reminds me, I WAS WRONG about when it's being released! For a change I'm happy to be wrong too. :D

Andro I urge you to start reading the thread, there's a lot of good stuff in there, skip to the posts with pictures though, or the ones with Baggins Bill on them. ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:37 AM

Quote -  Is it just poser 8 out?  did they say anything about poser pro 2?
Love esther

Poser 8 is available now;  no official word yet on when the new Pro will be released.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 5:25 AM

since its out i want to see a lot of GI renders in the gallery.

dont you dare posting renders without shadows in the realism section.

he he :)

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 5:28 AM

Quote - > Quote -  Is it just poser 8 out?  did they say anything about poser pro 2?

Love esther

Poser 8 is available now;  no official word yet on when the new Pro will be released.

As the new Poser Pro is being called... Poser Pro 2010... it doesn't look as though it is going to be out in the near future.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 6:08 AM

so - is the cloth room any better now?
And is hair improved?
Love esther
PS it sure is a slow download....yes, I succumbed.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 6:35 AM

2010 isn't that long to wait ziggie, it does give everyone who wants it a bit of time to save up a few pennies. ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 7:37 AM · edited Tue, 04 August 2009 at 7:40 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote -  Is it just poser 8 out?  did they say anything about poser pro 2?

Love esther

As the new Poser Pro is being called... Poser Pro 2010... it doesn't look as though it is going to be out in the near future.

From BB's comments, I wonder if Poser 8 might be very cheap for PoserPro users, or there might be a service pack  that adds the Poser 8 features:

"There will be some amazing news from SM tomorrow. Existing Poser Pro users will hear something really good, so don't fret about a side/down-grade here - you're going to be taken care of, and I mean that in a good way."

I guess we'll find out soon...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 7:43 AM

Still have my question about the new Python: will older Python scripts that I've bought still work in Poser 8 with the new Python?

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:03 AM

Quote -  Still have my question about the new Python: will older Python scripts that I've bought still work in Poser 8 with the new Python?

It has already been mentioned that older Python scripts should work.  The new Python was implemented for backwards compatability.  AFAIK, there is no guarantee that all scripts will work though.  If not, the scriptwriter may do an update.

As to Poser Pro, the minimum discount for buying Poser 8 now will be $129.00 off the upgrade price of Poser Pro 2010 if you have Poser Pro now.  So basically, you don't lose anything if you buy Poser 8 now.  If you don't have Poser 7 or earlier and only have Poser Pro, the Poser Pro serial will work for the upgrade to Poser 8.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:14 AM

I have poser 7 abnd poser pro.  My poser pro serial did not work to buy poser 8, so I had to use my poser 7 serial.
Love esther

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:18 AM

It may be a glitch.  Steve Cooper mentioned this in his post about Poser Pro 2010 --

"A few last details about this program:

• As a Poser Pro user you will qualify for any offered upgrade pricing to Poser 8."

Unless i am misreading it, it says it should work.

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:27 AM

I used my Poser Pro serial number and it was accepted without problems.

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:42 AM

Same for me, downloading now :)

My Store

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:43 AM

Quote - > Quote -  Still have my question about the new Python: will older Python scripts that I've bought still work in Poser 8 with the new Python?

It has already been mentioned that older Python scripts should work.  The new Python was implemented for backwards compatability.  AFAIK, there is no guarantee that all scripts will work though.  If not, the scriptwriter may do an update.

As to Poser Pro, the minimum discount for buying Poser 8 now will be $129.00 off the upgrade price of Poser Pro 2010 if you have Poser Pro now.  So basically, you don't lose anything if you buy Poser 8 now.  If you don't have Poser 7 or earlier and only have Poser Pro, the Poser Pro serial will work for the upgrade to Poser 8.

Thanks for answering my question about the Python scripts. I have been reading through the forum. Guess I missed that.

One more question: what if (as I do) I have Poser 7 now and buy Poser 8. Will there be any discount if I then upgrade to Poser Pro 2?

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:49 AM · edited Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:50 AM

I am only guessing, but I would think they would have a sidegrade offer to Poser Pro 2010.  I upgraded to Poser Pro 1 through a sidegrade offer.  i do not expect them to change their business model for upgrades; though they have changed just about everything else!

manoloz ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 8:51 AM

Quote - Hi Everyone,

I must admit I didn't really want to read the 49 pages, but does anyone know if the lightning has been made a lot easier since Poser 6? Also, will this version work with Vue Complete?

Thanks,

Andro

You have now inverse square falloff for lights. And indirect illumination. And improved ambient occlusion.

still hooked to real life and enjoying the siesta!
Visit my blog! :D
Visit my portfolio! :D

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 9:13 AM

Quote - > Quote - Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Andro

You have now inverse square falloff for lights. And indirect illumination. And improved ambient occlusion.

And this helps us create lightning?

:D

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

odf ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 9:23 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Andro

Yes, because you won't need to set up nearly as many lights as you used to. 😉

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 9:54 AM

For all the todoo that was made over the dockable interface, the Joint Editor window cannot be made to dock to anything.  I guess it's that dumb little thing that nobody uses, who cares about Joint Editor anyway? ;)

My Freebies

manoloz ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 9:57 AM

It IS dockable.
Click on the small square on the top right of it's window. Then select "dockable". Voila! Instant docking!

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 9:58 AM

Click the button in the upper right corner and choose Drag Docking Enabled. Then you can drag to position it where you want to. 

manoloz ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 9:58 AM

btw same goes for all other windows. Click on the small square on the upper right corner to get to the docking behaviour menu.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 10:05 AM

Ah thanks, I didn't catch that immediately.

My Freebies

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 1:11 PM

interesting tid bit from the readme

Fundamental Architectural Changes

Due to fundamental architectural changes in Poser 8 that have removed legacy code, and improved overall performance in many areas across the application, the old Poser 4 renderer and automatic RSR Library thumbnail conversion to PNG has been discontinued.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:15 PM

Bill, you were talking about your self lit environment sphere.
How do you self lit it?

My Store

manoloz ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:19 PM

Quote - Bill, you were talking about your self lit environment sphere.
How do you self lit it?

with indirect illumination?
Change it's ambient colour to 1 (or more). And of course, make sure there is something in the ambient channel.

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:29 PM
Site Admin

What do you mean by "make sure there is something in the ambient channel"?  I tried to recreate stewer's effect with the white square illuminating Andy.  I set the sqare's ambient color to white and it's strength to 1.   But my render came nowhere close to the brightness in Stefan's render.

What render settings were used?

manoloz ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 2:32 PM

I don't know about stephan, but

*make sure you enable indirect lighting in the render settings (must be enabled in the manual settings part), and
*you can have values greater than 1 in the ambient strength if the effect is too weak

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:03 PM

I thought there was supposed to be good news today for those who wanted Poser Pro 2. Is it just that there will be a Pro version in 2010? 

(Not trying to be negative. The news about Poser 8 is great.)

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:05 PM

The good news is that PoserPro2 is in the works and will be available in the near future. 

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:11 PM

I think, also, that the statement that those who own both P8 and P Pro will get the opportunity to Beta P Pro 2010 is a big thing, too.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:17 PM
Site Admin

Thanks manoloz, that did it - ambient strength set to 10 :)  Btw, what would be the optimum setting for IDL quality?  Default is 5 but for a final render what do you suggest?

Jcleaver ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:19 PM

The other good news about Poser Pro 2010 is that the cost of upgrading will be the same whether you wait, or buy Poser 8 now.  Meaning, total amount of money for Poser 8 +  the upgrade to Poser Pro 2010 will equal the upgrade price of Poser Pro 2010 by itself.

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:25 PM

Quote - The other good news about Poser Pro 2010 is that the cost of upgrading will be the same whether you wait, or buy Poser 8 now.  Meaning, total amount of money for Poser 8 +  the upgrade to Poser Pro 2010 will equal the upgrade price of Poser Pro 2010 by itself.

Ooh! Is this for sure? Where is this good news mentioned? On the SmithMicro site or where?

manoloz ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:40 PM

in an email sent by smithmicro.

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 3:45 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3492816

Mr. Cooper was also kind enough to elaborate in this thread, as well ;)

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 4:32 PM

Ah, thank you very much for the info. Now I will get Poser 8.

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 4:37 PM

Oh, I've got a Poser 8 question. It concerns compatibility with Carrara 7 Pro. (Poser 7 has very good compatibility with Carrara 7 Pro.)

I sometimes open a Poser 7 pz3 file in Carrara 7 Pro and render it there. Does Poser 8 save in the same format?

I can also drag one of my saved (in Poser 7) character cr2 files into the Carrara scene window to open it in Carrara 7 Pro. Can I also do this with a character cr2 file made with Poser 8? Does Poser 8 also save its characters as cr2 files?

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 5:01 PM

Yes. The file formats havent' changed. 

Dunno if Carrara is version dependant, if it throws a hissy you can easily, in a text editor, change the version number to something lower :)

Quote -  Oh, I've got a Poser 8 question. It concerns compatibility with Carrara 7 Pro. (Poser 7 has very good compatibility with Carrara 7 Pro.)

I sometimes open a Poser 7 pz3 file in Carrara 7 Pro and render it there. Does Poser 8 save in the same format?

I can also drag one of my saved (in Poser 7) character cr2 files into the Carrara scene window to open it in Carrara 7 Pro. Can I also do this with a character cr2 file made with Poser 8? Does Poser 8 also save its characters as cr2 files?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 5:02 PM

how does GI work with reflection? for example with a car shader. it has diffuse and reflection.
will it take longer to render since there is reflection on the car? 

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 5:25 PM

Thank you much, TrekkieGrrrl, for the response. Love the things you make, btw.

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 5:33 PM

I'm on a Mac. I'm thinking I should install Poser 8 to a separate folder and then drag in the things I want from Poser 7, such as Python Scripts. Does that sound right?

I have the Poser 7 content. So, should I just not install the "legacy" content that comes with Poser 8? Probably most or all of it is duplicated from Poser 7. Would it be better to do a full install of Poser 8 with legacy content, and then see if there's any content I want to add from Poser 7?

(I do have several separate runtimes, such as M4, etc. I have one that is within the Poser 7 folder and is named just "Runtime." Just mentioning this to clarify what I've said above.)

inquire ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 5:35 PM

One more question:  If I install Poser 8 in a separate folder of its own, I assume it's all right to keep Poser 7 on the hard drive until such time as I feel I can handle Poser 8. Is this OK?

lkendall ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 6:00 PM · edited Tue, 04 August 2009 at 6:01 PM

*"One more question:  If I install Poser 8 in a separate folder of its own, I assume it's all right to keep Poser 7 on the hard drive until such time as I feel I can handle Poser 8. Is this OK?"

By all accounts, yes.

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 7:16 PM

Quote - > Quote -

Yes, because you won't need to set up nearly as many lights as you used to. 😉
[/quote
I guess you missed my little sarcasm about the question. I think the improvement is with lighting, not lightning. :)

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.