Sat, Sep 21, 3:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:48 pm)

Subject: P8 Failed to start error?

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 8:57 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:12 PM

I have installed P8 minus the legacy content, and when ever I try to start it I get this error.
"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"
I used the 4th option when installing, and I have reinstalled it 3 times and I keep getting the same error. Anyone know what I may be doing wrong? (I'm running xp home edition)   Thanks :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:05 AM

Are you logged in as the administrator?

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:09 AM

Hi Phil :)
I never install anything logged in as admin, and have never had any problems. I will try that and see if it helps. Also, could it be that it isn't working because I didn't download the legacy content? When I installed P8 I opted not to install the legacy content, and only installed the new P8 content.  Thanks

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:28 AM

I wouldn't think the legacy content would make a difference. I've been installing with, without and as a separate installation without any difficulty.

Reboot after install?

IsaoShi ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:31 AM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:32 AM

Someone else reported exactly this problem in one of the other threads, you might like to check the other Poser 8 threads for any developments.

You don't need to install the legacy content.

Did you follow the instructions for merging the downloaded program and P8 content folders before running the installation program? These instructions are in the last download, the small PDF file.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 9:49 AM

Before I installed I exited my anti virus and firewall, followed the instructions for merging the downloads,  I am the only one who uses this computer so I am always logged on as admin (owner) Rebooted after the install, and still get the error. I will check the other thread, as I didn't see it before I posted my problem. Thanks :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

IsaoShi ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 10:02 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2778428

I was going to post a link to that other thread for you, but I see you already found it. I'll post it anyway in case someone else comes looking here for an answer.

pappy411 ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 10:16 AM

Hi Phil,
What is included in the Legacy content and why is it not important to include in installation?
Pappy

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 10:58 AM

I have contacted customer support, if I get this problem resolved I will post here and in the other thread, Thanks ;o)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

IsaoShi ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 11:47 AM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 11:48 AM

Quote - Hi Phil,
What is included in the Legacy content and why is it not important to include in installation?
Pappy

I'm not Phil, but I'll answer anyway.... the "legacy content" is the 3D products that were included with prior versions of Poser - although I don't know which versions' content is actually included.

It's probably worth having if you are starting out with Poser, but you don't need it to be able to use Poser.

samcopcutt ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 12:03 PM

Hi Pokeydots

Just to let you know i'm having the same problems too.

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 12:37 PM

Sorry you are having the same problem, hopefully it will get resolved. Did you contact customer support to report the problem? 

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

samcopcutt ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 12:43 PM

Just about to do that.  

ArdathkSheyna ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 12:55 PM

I ran into the same problem installing Poser 8, but what probably caused my problem was that I didn't have the Poser 8 content or the legacy content downloaded yet, and I did a custom installation with just the Poser 8 content selected.

I solved it by reinstalling again with the compact installation feature (I never use the base Poser content anyway). That seemed to do the trick for me at least. I don't know if it'll help anyone else though.

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 3:45 PM

I have got an answer from tech support and my problem is solved :) Here is what they told me to do. Hope this works for anyone having this problem, and if not contact Customer support, they were a great help to me! P8 is now up and running, and I did not have to install the legacy content.

It appears your system did not take one of the included updates. You will need to download and install the Update from Microsoft available here...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 4:28 PM

Hm I installed the program yesterday but the legacy and Poser 8 content didn't finish downloading until this evening. And I had no problem. I also used the fourth install option since my Poser is on an external harddisk.

The installer didn't like that it couldn't find the Poser 8 content exe but once I told it to stp whining, everything worked fine. I installed the content tonight by simply running the installers and putting it where it wanted to be (except of course I changed the path to the external harddrive) -  and Poser found it and everything is dandy :)

So I'm not sure why you're having problems, Pokey. Only difference is I'm using Vista and not WinXP.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 5:55 PM

Trekkie mine is working now since I downloaded the file above as SM Support told me to do. All is well :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 6:45 PM

I had a problem on my MAC where it said it couldn't verify the disk image for the poser 8 installer.  I'm still waiting on the content downloads.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:04 PM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:06 PM

Quote -  I had a problem on my MAC where it said it couldn't verify the disk image for the poser 8 installer.  I'm still waiting on the content downloads.

My .dmg download for Mac failed at just under 600MB, but it resumed okay from where it left off, and then verified and installed okay. It looks like you have to restart that download.  :O(

(edit) by the way, I installed without any P8 or Legacy content, and it works fine just loading stuff from my other Libraries.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 7:18 PM

It fully downloaded before it failed to verify.  I'm downloading it again since I can't resume.

skylab3D ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2009 at 3:09 AM

Hi Pappy:   I remember reading in another forum that the Legacy content is from Poser 5, 6 and 7.  

~skylab   : )

mylemonblue ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2009 at 7:00 AM

Quote - I have got an answer from tech support and my problem is solved :) Here is what they told me to do. Hope this works for anyone having this problem, and if not contact Customer support, they were a great help to me! P8 is now up and running, and I did not have to install the legacy content.

It appears your system did not take one of the included updates. You will need to download and install the Update from Microsoft available here...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

I'm not feeling any love for seeing the extra C++ install being required now in Poser. It PO'd me seeing this in D|S. It's just my opinion but I think dependencies from outside sources with no stake in the software is bad news. If I start seeing the bloody C++ errors I've seen in every software that's gone down this road I'm gonna go medieval. Grumble... 

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

mylemonblue ( ) posted Thu, 06 August 2009 at 7:08 AM · edited Thu, 06 August 2009 at 7:09 AM

[rant] One more thing. I've always thought that if the software can't provide everything it needs to run it's incomplete...IMO. [/rant]

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.