Tue, Oct 22, 3:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Applying Textures to a Poser figures clothing and saving in Pose, How?

Lakotariver ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 9:36 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:37 AM

Hello my fellow Artist,
I have a question, I have made several Textures for figures (Clothing and Props and such) and I have only been able to save what I have made in the Materials room and they have to be applied from there to work on the figure.
I see all the time where a texture is made and you can apply the texture from Pose.
How do you do this? I only seem to be able to apply a Posing position to the figure from Pose and not the texture. How do I get the texture to apply from Pose? Hope I have explained what Im wanting to learn. Thanks and Happy Renders to all of you.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 9:55 AM · edited Fri, 07 August 2009 at 9:57 AM

Make sure that you have Poser file compression switched off.
Save the figure's materials as a Material Collection.
Open the Material Collection file (mc6) in a text editor, and near the top of the file change the word

materialcollection 

to:

figure

Resave the file as a .pz2 file and put it in your Pose Library.

PS: these are known as MAT poses. They are not officially supported in Poser, but everyone uses them.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

Lakotariver ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 10:16 AM · edited Fri, 07 August 2009 at 10:18 AM

Quote - Make sure that you have Poser file compression switched off.
Save the figure's materials as a Material Collection.
Open the Material Collection file (mc6) in a text editor, and near the top of the file change the word

materialcollection 

to:

figure

Resave the file as a .pz2 file and put it in your Pose Library.

PS: these are known as MAT poses. They are not officially supported in Poser, but everyone uses them.

This will work?
Just edit it in a text editor and change the name and resave in Pose? After I change the name at the top. I have to open again and apply to figure and then save in Pose or do I just save in Pose after I change the name?
Just want to make sure my steps in the process is correct.
This sounds simple to do. I have had to edit hair after posing in text editor to save a fit for a different figure and that worked. But that is something very different. so I do know a little about editing the text but the process is a little like it.
I wish I had asked this long ago. LOL
I am very thankful for your help.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 10:20 AM

IsaoShi is correct.  I have done this myself many times and it works beautifully.  Hold on to your material file until you are satified that the MatPose file works correctly.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 2:17 PM

I made a slight mistake, I should have said change the word "mtlCollection" to "figure".

Once you have saved the edited file, that's it, job done. It is a now a MAT pose file and will work on your figure. The only thing left to do is make a thumbnail image for it.

Lakotariver ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 2:51 PM

Quote - I made a slight mistake, I should have said change the word "mtlCollection" to "figure".

Once you have saved the edited file, that's it, job done. It is a now a MAT pose file and will work on your figure. The only thing left to do is make a thumbnail image for it.

Ahhhh, Thank you.
This helps so much.
I promiss to name my first born after you.
Smiles and Happy Renders to you both for your help

Fazzel ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 3:05 PM

So unless someone is planning on selling this to people who are still using Poser 4,
what is the advantage of turning a material collection into a pose file?  Seems like
a lot of effort to do something that basically does the same thing. Am I missing something?

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 3:11 PM · edited Fri, 07 August 2009 at 3:12 PM

Quote - So unless someone is planning on selling this to people who are still using Poser 4,
what is the advantage of turning a material collection into a pose file?  Seems like
a lot of effort to do something that basically does the same thing. Am I missing something?

It's almost no effort at all.

Before Poser 8, the big advantage was that you could apply a figure's textures directly from the Pose Library, without having to switch into the Material Room.

In Poser 8 you can access the Materials Library without going into the Material Room.

Lakotariver ( ) posted Fri, 07 August 2009 at 3:20 PM

You might find this fun to know.
I was at SigGraph 2009 the day Poser 8 was released.
If you want to see some pic's Take a look

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/Lakotafeather/SigGraph%202009/

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 2:15 PM

Quote - You might find this fun to know.
I was at SigGraph 2009 the day Poser 8 was released.
If you want to see some pic's Take a look

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/Lakotafeather/SigGraph%202009/

OT for the subject, but.. Cool pics, Lakota! It must have been heaven indeed envies

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Lakotariver ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 2:21 PM

Thank you Trekkiegrrrl,
I was in a 64 bit Rendered Heaven.
So much to see and not enough time.
What I will always remember is , I was there the day Poser 8 was released and I got to meet the Rendo Team. No way I can forget that.

DarksealStudios ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 3:15 PM

I would like to ask as well...

If you're in poser (5+?) and able to use the mat room, is it really worth making the mat poses anymore?? My pose library is jammed as it is. Will people be ok with just using mc6's?

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

Lakotariver ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 4:00 PM

Speaking for myself.
 I have created catagories in my Poser  such as,
In Pose. I create a file called Clothing. In that I have files for every M3, M4, V3, V4 and so on. All my clothing pose files I have for V4, I move to the folder I created for her in pose all clothing pose files. I know now where to look when I need to find something for her in Pose and do not have to look through a big list. I did this in Figures too. I created a folder called Animals and moved all my Figure animals into it. It makes finding anything easy. So when it comes to finding anything in Pose. I do not have any problem at all.
Oh, One thing that helped was in Pose and figures. In the clothing folder I created. I made a folder called Mixed. That was for clothing that works for more than one figure.
I asked the question about how to make Pose mats because most others have it set up this way and I just wanted to learn.
Anyway, That is my 2 cents worth on it. Smiles to you

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 4:22 PM

MC6's doesn't work in That Other Program, do they?

Few people create content for POSER alone these days.  

If you ask me, MC6 is the way to go :) But then I don't care much for Daz Studio either.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Lakotariver ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 5:07 PM

Other program?
What other Program? Dont understand.

Oh by the way, TrekkieGrrrl,
Love the freebies you have given to the Art Community.
Thank you so much

DarksealStudios ( ) posted Sat, 08 August 2009 at 5:56 PM

I s see TG, you mean a pz2 will work in daz but an mc6 will not, right?

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.