Fri, Sep 20, 11:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: obj importing question

Darklorddc ( ) posted Fri, 14 August 2009 at 8:34 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:32 PM

New to Vue, succumbed after seeing all types of incredible sci-fi stuff. I've got a ton of models done in OBJ that I texture in different programs different ways. I create an empty UV map using UV mapper, and divide the object into material groups.

(I eventually plan on learning how to paint UV maps...but so far my efforts have been less than stellar)

But when I import my obj files into Vue it doesn't seem to recognize the material groups, so it wants to apply one material to the entire object.
When I use carrara and Daz, my objs import with a material group for the different parts, so if it's a spaceship I can apply one material to the guns, another to the bridge, another to the windows, etc. But I can't really make use of Vue until I can figure out how to split an object into different material zones.
Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks.

Mazak ( ) posted Fri, 14 August 2009 at 8:58 PM · edited Fri, 14 August 2009 at 8:59 PM

file_437065.jpg

Welcome in Vue Forum :) With right click your object you can select edit object. Than you can split your material groups. This should work.

Mazak

Click on picture for full view

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Darklorddc ( ) posted Sat, 15 August 2009 at 12:04 AM

It says the number of materials is 1 even though carrara finds them all separately just like I sorted them in UVmapper

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 15 August 2009 at 3:00 AM

Vue only sees INDIVIDUAL parts, so, if the mesh is one piece, it only has 1 material.
that's why I split my models into many parts when exporting them :)

also, Vue doesn't like N-gons and quads very much so when modelling,make the final mesh with tri-sided polygons

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

JCD ( ) posted Sat, 15 August 2009 at 10:26 AM

The bulk of the .obj files I import that have multiple materials defined come in fine, whether it's one object or made up of multiple parts. Case in point, the freebie Dystiopian Air Scrubber model is available as a single .obj file and importing it into Vue reveals it's 9 material zones making it really easy to apply multiple textures, glows. etc. I ended up mapping the main body, but the rest are still simple Vue procedurals applied by zone.

I can say that I've had models that maybe came from Max or Lightwave that were provided as .obj which on occassion behave the way Darklorddc's models are and assume that something was lost in translation, but that's been the exception and not the rule in my experience. Are the problematic models all from the same source or ...?

Darklorddc ( ) posted Sat, 15 August 2009 at 11:28 AM

Good question. These were all from carrara. I'll try some from different sources and see what happens.
Oh, and you're the main reason I got Vue, JCD. Every time I saw one of your Vue cityscapes and art from a few other artists, I made myself put away $10 to buy Vue one day.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.