Mon, Oct 21, 9:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 8:28 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Loading textures in Poser

Thorgrim ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2001 at 10:32 PM ยท edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 6:58 AM

Hi Guys, I have a question about loading textures into poser. Do they takeup less room in memory if they read from a tiff file as a opposed to a bmp file. Does Poser cache textures to disk or are they stored in memory all the time. Thanks, Thorgrim

Lemurtek ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2001 at 5:16 AM

memory wise, it doesn't matter too much what format you use, as long as they're the same resolution and color depth, since they must be decompressed when loaded into memory. So 24 bit TIF, BMP JPG will take up the same ram. I'm pretty sure Poser doesn't cache images on disk (other than using the OS virtual memory system)

Thorgrim ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2001 at 8:13 AM

Any idea on what kind of memory limitation poser has for texture storage. I've only got 256 meg and I've been stalling poser on a regular basis when I attempt to render.

Allen9 ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2001 at 3:40 PM

I'm not sure Poser actually keeps the full image in RAM. Last nite I had a Poser file open, went into Photopaint to alter the jpg for the skin texture, and went back into Poser & immediately re-rendered, just to see what would happen. The changes showed in the render though they hadn't in the pre-render "textured" view. It would seem to me that if Poser already had the image in memory, the changes to the file on the hard drive would not have shown in the render. Can any Poser "experts" throw a little light on this? I'm curious about just how Poser actually handles those texture items too.

Lemurtek ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2001 at 8:38 PM

It may be Poser keeps a 'file lock' on any texture it loads, so it knows when some other application changes the file. I think it must keep the current texture in ram, otherwise it would be pretty slow when using the textured preview (having to go out to disk everytime you change the pose or view. Unless it keeps a low rez version loaded for preview and loads the full texture in for rendering. Might also depend on your Video card's memory as well. Heck if I know.

Allen9 ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2001 at 3:38 PM

I always thought that when a program had a "file lock" no other program could open the file, but would get a windoze error message about the file being in use. Maybe it does just keep a low-rez quickie in memory for the preview (????). It does seem like it takes a bit of time to render, maybe that's because it's loading the full file (???). Sure hope somebody who knows stumbles across this thread and can fill us in.

Lemurtek ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2001 at 5:25 PM

Well, "lock" is probably the wrong term. What I mean is, a program loads a file, and then "watches" the file. If another application changes the file, the program can then reload it to keep it in sync. Textpad (text editor) and Dreamweaver/HomeSite (WebDev/html) do that as well. HOW they do it I don't know exactly, on the Amiga there were system notification flags that would tell programs that this or that status had changed, I assume this is a common feature in a multi-tasking environment. But that doesn't mean texture files aren't cached either. In fact that might explain why some renders crash, as Poser attempts to load in all the textures for the render. This is probably something that Curious Labs would have to answer. Regards- Lemurtek

JKeller ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2001 at 6:44 PM

I think it's actually simpler than that. I think whenever Poser is commanded to render, or certain other commands, it just re-loads the textures from the source.

HandspanStudios ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2001 at 4:22 AM

That seems true from my experience, that it reloads the texture each render. That won't answer your question about what's happenng with your program freezing. I have twice the RAM but get the same problem sometimes, there is a freeze while rendering that doesn't register as 'not responding' if you c/a/d. Other people have told me it happens to them too. Maybe a bug?

"Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair."

Annie Dillard

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.