Fri, Sep 20, 12:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: memory allocation error (animation rendering)

TOXE ( ) posted Wed, 26 August 2009 at 2:40 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 8:39 PM

Hi all,

i'm in trouble rendering an animation. Approximately every 300 frames i have a memory allocation error. I've tried to reduce the texture spooling size (as suggested on daz forum). I have a 8core macpro with 6GB of ram and the scene is enough simple, the only heavy thing can be the use of hairs, but my file it's only 184 kb. No global illumination, no strange things!

I'm on C6 pro on mac,

Thanks

Davide

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 26 August 2009 at 3:00 AM

I believe it's the hair. 

Make sure that you are using the batch queue. It won't fix the problem but it can help get more frames to render before the error. If you are saving into a movie format instead of a sequenced images, that will also shorten the amount of time before memory error. Sequenced images help Carrara recycle memory. 

I had a project like that and simply had to divide up the render into segments, calculating and adjusting the frame numbering with the batch queue. No fun but it got the job done. 

This issue is not unique to Carrara and scenes with hair. Some other 3D programs handle hair more efficiently but hair is a memory drain to be sure. I just need a 2500 computer render farm...

TOXE ( ) posted Wed, 26 August 2009 at 5:24 AM

Hi MArk,

yes, i'm using image sequence. Right now i'm using segments, but it's a shame that i need to stay always next to my Mac, it would be nice to launch my render at night. Modo have no problem with large amount of fur, but as discussed the other day it don't have audio scrubbing that is very important in this case because it's a music video. Maybe i can try to export the entire animation inside modo...

Thanks

Davide

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Wed, 26 August 2009 at 3:18 PM

Do you still need to reduce the spool size on the mac like the PC (not sure if you still need to do that in 7 Pro like you did in previous versions.  Would reducing the tile size help as well?

TOXE ( ) posted Thu, 27 August 2009 at 2:34 AM

Thanks Xerxes,

i've already done this two things. Unfortunately things don't changes so much. Reducing the tile size increase enough render times and you save only few frames from crash.

Davide

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.