Tue, Oct 22, 5:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: *Calling Phantom3D*---Trying my hand at rigging

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 5:40 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:22 AM

file_438186.jpg

HIya Mike!

So I have conforming tools like Autogroup Editor and Tool Collection but am waiting on my new license key or whatever...thought I'd give the setup room a try in the meantime.

Attached is my shirt for the Mil Preschooler. I ran my cursor over the areas the shirt touched and here they are.:
Neck
Right Collar, Left Collar
Right Shoulder, Left Shoulder
Chest
Abdomen
Hip
Right Buttock, Left Buttock**

I am going to make bones for each. I know you can use old Preschooler clothing and delete unwanted bones, but just wanted to make mine from scratch as they are only like10 needed.

**Question 1:**What goes in  "Internal Name"? What goes in "Name"?

I want to start with the neck then add child(ren) bone in this order, Collar, Shoulder, click on Neck again and add, Chest, Hip---->buttocks.

Question 2: How do a position the bones? The neck would be vertical and I'd scale it down so the neck bone doesn't affect(overlap) the "Chest" bone much? Collars horizontal and scaled down as to not to overlap shoulder bone?

I may be doing all of this wrong...pretty sure I am. lol Any help would greatly be appreciated.:biggrin:

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:13 PM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:14 PM

This is a conforming clothing figure, and not a standalone figure huh?

My Freebies

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:32 PM

Quote - This is a conforming clothing figure, and not a standalone figure huh?

I wish to make it a conforming shirt for Maddie. Right now it's just an obj/Prop.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:40 PM

Then you really do not want to rig this by hand.  For a conforming clothing item to work correctly, you want the rig to be as much the same as the character's original rig as possible.  Use the "donor bone" method and get the rig from the base character, or preferably from a "blank rig" provided by the vendor (DAZ).  That way you only need to do minimal adjustment of the rig (usually a little bit of enlarging some of the falloff zones only).  You also will tend to have the best luck if the polygons are grouped as closely to the original figure's polygon groups as possible.

My Freebies

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:58 PM

file_438189.jpg

Thanks pjz99!

I was able to rig it. I imported my obj. Went to the Setup room. Loaded www.sharecg.com/v/36446/Poser/ButterBumbles-for-Matt-and-Maddie.<-------the shirt in that set. Clicked on the Grouping, and autogrouped. I then went into the Pose room and renamed the shirt. It conformed but had a lot of poke-through.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:58 PM

file_438190.jpg

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:59 PM

file_438191.jpg

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 6:59 PM

file_438192.jpg

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:00 PM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:07 PM

file_438193.jpg

I didn't delete the forearm bones. Figured it doesn't hurt to leave them in.

Diogenes ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:07 PM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:08 PM

pjz99 gives very good advice (thats who I go to for help :biggrin: )

For a conforming figure the bones need to be the same (names, JP's and all) because your conforming shirt needs to be able to follow the movements of the figures body as exactly as possible, thiat is the same reason to have as close as possible the same geometry, ( at the very least to follow the poly flow and edge looping, and groups.) You will end up with far less poke through that way.

Cheers,
Mike.

Dang you guys type fast!!!! :)

A HOMELAND FOR POSER FINALLY

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:22 PM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:25 PM

The reason the mesh is "breaking" when posing the figure is probably that you just tried those poses right after leaving the setup room.  Poser actually splits the geometry of your prop up into non-contiguous pieces for each body part group when you leave the Setup room and replaces the original prop geometry; this leaves the new geometry "un-welded", and once you save it to the Figures library and reload it, the new figure will get "welded" and should stop that cracking stuff.

edit: it's usually safer to leave one extra bone past whatever bones your figure calls for, as sometimes Poser can move the endpoint in very unexpected ways if you delete that extra end bone (like forearms in your case).  You also have cases where the "extra" bone is intended to deform parent geometry, like bending the forearm may be intended to deform the upper arm geometry depending on how it's rigged.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:27 PM

Also be aware that if you've morphed the Maddie character AT ALL, these morphs will not be reflected in your conforming clothing item.  They must be specifically duplicated, either by hand (magnets, morph brush) or if you have a lot of morphs you want to support, some automated tool like Morphing Clothes.  This includes Joint-Controlled morphs (JCM) typically found at the armpit (Collar up/down and forward/back movement, typically).

My Freebies

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:36 PM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:37 PM

file_438195.jpg

@**phantom3D** Thanks!

@pjz99

Quote - The reason the mesh is "breaking" when posing the figure is probably that you just tried those poses right after leaving the setup room.  Poser actually splits the geometry of your prop up into non-contiguous pieces for each body part group when you leave the Setup room and replaces the original prop geometry; this leaves the new geometry "un-welded", and once you save it to the Figures library and reload it, the new figure will get "welded" and should stop that cracking stuff.

Hmm I actually did save it to the library; thinking I needed to do that to get a CR2, then I remembered what was in the PROPS was now in the figures (when I re-named it). That was a "duh" moment. lol

Just in case, I started a new scene and loaded it from the Figure's library. Still got the same results. I notice the shirt looks broken up even when it's not conformed to Maddie.

This is how it looked upon import:

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:36 PM

file_438196.jpg

This is how it looks loaded from the library:

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 7:39 PM

Quote - Also be aware that if you've morphed the Maddie character AT ALL, these morphs will not be reflected in your conforming clothing item.  They must be specifically duplicated, either by hand (magnets, morph brush) or if you have a lot of morphs you want to support, some automated tool like Morphing Clothes.  This includes Joint-Controlled morphs (JCM) typically found at the armpit (Collar up/down and forward/back movement, typically).

I used the default Preschooler from the Daz People folder. Didn't add any morphs.

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:12 PM

reading and i might have missed something  here so dont yell if i did.
1 inport grouped obj in poser
2 go right to set up room
3 in the figue folder 2x click on matts bones
4 back to set up room
5 save the cr2 in your figure folder with the +
6  load matty conform shirt to matty
7 yell at me if that dont work lol

========================================================
Typing Advisory :
Read at your own risk! May cause
dizziness, naseua,drooling, and temporary blindness.
Surgeon General recommends running the txt through a spell checker.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:22 PM

Quote - reading and i might have missed something  here so dont yell if i did.
1 inport grouped obj in poser
2 go right to set up room
3 in the figue folder 2x click on matts bones
4 back to set up room
5 save the cr2 in your figure folder with the +
6  load matty conform shirt to matty
7 yell at me if that dont work lol

Done. 😄

Is there a quicker way to delete unwanted bones? Other than selecting from the list and deleting one by one?

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:23 PM

in a cr2 edit prog its pretty fast

Typing Advisory :

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:24 PM

Quote - in a cr2 edit prog its pretty fast

Any recommended cr2 programs?

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:26 PM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:29 PM

I sent you a site mail so you can yell over at me on msn or yahoo when you get stuck i dont mind helpping you out when i have the time

Typing Advisory :

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:33 PM

Quote - o ps Tool Collection has con cloth i think its called and that will clean it and  you can use matty as a donner cr2 fast and easy now you will still have to do some jp work on fall offs but that  takes a biit to learn but you will get there

Oh goodie I already have that!!! I used Con Cloth to make my cr2 after splitting my shirt up in AutoGroupEditor.

I just ran it...I don't see where you can delete anything. Hmm.

Do you mean use Maddie as the donner cr2 within ConCloth or in the Setup room?

JP is joint parameters. What exactly are these "fallof zones"?

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:35 PM

Quote - I sent you a site mail so you can yell over at me on msn or yahoo when you get stuck i dont mind helpping you out when i have the time

Copy.

Thanks!

Winterclaw ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:38 PM

If you need help with tweaking joint parameters, do a search of PhilCdesigns on youtube... he explains the basics pretty well.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:46 PM

PhilC is a darn cool dude and his tuts are really a big help I would say for sure have a look at them .He has a lot of years on him when it comes to this stuff and he tends to be very help full .

Typing Advisory :

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:46 PM

Quote - This is how it looks loaded from the library:

If "cracks" show in the model after rigging it and saving/loading from library, it is likely that it is grouped in a way where (for example) the Shoulder group's polygons join directly to the chest group's polygons and skip the collar bones.

My Freebies

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:53 PM · edited Fri, 28 August 2009 at 8:53 PM

@Winterclaw
Will do. Thanks again.

@Bobbie25
Am setting up MSN now.

@**pjz99
Don't kill me but...was I supposed to group the model in Hex first? What I did was freeze the mannequin and exported the shirt without splitting it up.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 9:02 PM

I'm going to check out PhilC's video and another I was linked to.

Thanks again guys.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 9:56 PM

Poser's built in auto grouping tool leaves some things to be desired, and can sometimes leave you with geometry that will not work.  I don't know how you did the polygon grouping but imo it's always safer (and usually much easier and faster) to do it by hand in your modeler.  I don't even look at Poser's grouping tool 99% of the time.

My Freebies

Winterclaw ( ) posted Fri, 28 August 2009 at 10:12 PM

pzj, yeah Phil's tut on rigging also mentioned that.  He says the best thing use for poser's tool is to make sure the grouping is correct.

Another way to group is that some UV mapping tools also let you do that.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.