Fri, Sep 20, 12:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: WIping my poser runtime

perpetuavelouria ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2009 at 9:33 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:28 AM

Hi - I've set-up external runtimes to make it easier to find stus, and I've deleted non-poser-supplied folders from the original runtime, but when I go into it to find my recently installed V4 files (I've had trouble getting morphs++ to work in external runtimes). The problem is twofold: 1) I can't find V4, as whenI click on 'Daz people' nothing happens. and (2) all the old folders are still there. How can I delete them (and make sure V4 installs properly)? thanks 

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2009 at 9:42 AM

The simplest solution is to just to reinstall V4 and all of her morphs and then run that .dat file to initialize after each installation.

Install the V4 and her morphs to the main Poser folder. Then make a copy of the V4 files that are in the main Poser runtime and put them into your external runtime folder.  From what I remember when trying to install V4 was that I couldn't install her to any runtime other than the main one.

Also, make a copy of your !DAZ folder from inside all of your external runtime libraries and place it in the same location inside the main Poser runtime.  Poser looks to it's own runtime first so having the delta files in it will help Poser out.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

perpetuavelouria ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2009 at 12:09 PM

OK,I'll try that, thanks. but how can I get rid of the (redundant) folders frommymain Poser Runtime, which point to nothing?

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2009 at 1:00 PM
Online Now!

Acadia has been at this longer and is more on top things than I, but I did it another way and it worked out fine. I installed V4 to her own runtime, I just used the daz studio option. I used the poser option for all the morphs after that. Once everything was installed I ran the .dat file from inside that folder just to make sure (that's all that short cut for updating v4 on your desktop does anyway).

I'm not sure what redundant files your talking about, if it is the Daz Studio files than you can always move them to another file until your sure you don't need them. But keep that !Daz folder in the right place, as well some add on products great similar folders.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2009 at 1:10 PM

If you have empty folders I clean them up in windows explorer. Its easier to do bulk moves outside of poser as long as you know what files go where.

Dizzi ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2009 at 5:04 PM

Please tell us which Poser version and which OS you're using, because there are just too many different answers to your question...

perpetuavelouria ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2009 at 6:11 PM

Hi its poser &, Vista, but not sure if OS matters really?
here's the history:

1. built a pc with 2 500gb hard drives, 1 IDE, 1 SATA.
  2. Installed Poser 7 on IDE drive, added a whole load of new content to poser runtime, couldn't find anything  due to the huge number of folders in my 1 Runtime.
  3. installed (a few months later) Poser 7 on SATA drive and uninstalled previous install (or so I thought)
  4. set-up multiple external runtimes (also on SATA) as per tutorial on Renderosity.
    5)checked shrtcut pointed to new install (it did)
  5. noticed that all old (additional content) folders still showing up in Poser runtime, even though they are not there when I check in Explorer!
  6. noticed a problem with V4.2 morphs ++ not loading up when loading V4.2 from new 'figures' External Runtime
  7. tried installing V4.2 stuff to SATA Poser runtime, couldn't find them
  8. just added new runtime and navigated to the fresh install Poser runtime (on the SATA drive) V4 is there along with Poser-supplied content.
  9. tried loading V4.2 - loaded, but no Morphs++

Arrgh! is there a way of pointing Poser to the new SATA poser runtime as its master (booting?) runtime?

perpetuavelouria ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 6:29 AM

markschum - I tried this but the files don't actually exist - they just show up on what my poser program thinks is the poser runtime folder. Do you know what I mean? Its hard to be clear on this.

perpetuavelouria ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2009 at 2:15 PM

Are we allowed to bump?

Dizzi ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 11:48 AM

Attached Link: http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Protecting-System-Files-UAC-Virtualization-Part1.html

> Quote - Hi its poser &, Vista, but not sure if OS matters really? > here's the history: > > 6) noticed that all old (additional content) folders still showing up in Poser runtime, even though they are *not* there when I check in Explorer!

Well, that looks like you've been bitten by Vista's folder Virtualization (see link).

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 3:47 PM

If you are installing V4 to her own Runtime with Poser 7, make sure you have SR3 installed...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

perpetuavelouria ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 5:41 PM

SR3?

perpetuavelouria ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 5:43 PM

Dizzi - I'm nearly finished my last slice of humble pie...

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 8:14 PM

SR3 = Service Release 3: (scroll down a bit)

http://my.smithmicro.com/win/poser/updates.html

You'll need your Poser 7 serial number.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

perpetuavelouria ( ) posted Wed, 16 September 2009 at 9:40 AM

Ah, ok, thanks a lot - will that remove these 'ghost' folders then?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.