Wed, Oct 2, 10:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: SR1 - Material Room crashing?

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 9:24 PM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 3:30 PM

Material room is still crashing for me.  Anyone else? 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 9:43 PM

Very rarely for me - 2 times on the first day I had this build a week ago. Since then, no.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 9:45 PM

So, it'll iron itself out?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 9:57 PM

i think there's something wrong, it's just very difficult to repeat. Nothing in particular causes it. I saw a couple other beta testers say it happened to them 2 times in the last week as well.

You should have seen it a month ago. Oy vey.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 10:03 PM

Do you suppose it just doesn't like certain pre-set nodes from p7?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 10:54 PM

No. I got crashes just by adding nodes in a new blank scene.

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 11:21 PM

Well...just wow...wow is all.  No material room = useless.

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 12:20 AM · edited Fri, 25 September 2009 at 12:22 AM
Online Now!

If you can get it to crash on a consistent basis for a particular set of nodes, save it as MC6 and send it to Smith Micro.

edit Duh, if it crashes, you obviously can't save it :O But I guess you could set up the same thing in Poser 6 or 7, and see if that crashes 8, and then if so, send that to SM.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 5:54 AM

How do you go from 2 crashes per about 25 hours of working to the conclusion that there is no material room = useless? LOL

I'm Bagginsbill. I'm in the mat room always. It's been working fine, just as well as Poser Pro did before SR1, or Poser 7 before SR3.

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 7:49 AM

I can't get into the material room, at all.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 8:21 AM

Fwiw I haven't had any crashes related to the Material room at all. And I use it quite a lot, too. The material room is the main reason why I don't want to bother with DS - whenever I try, I miss the material room from Poser. So yes, I use it.

So it's odd that you can't get into the room at all. Have you tried with the right click technique described pre SR1? (right click the tab instead of left click) I have no idea why it should make any difference, but I rememer someone said it was the only way they could use the Material room without a crash. That was again before SR1, so.. 

My minor annoyance is only partially linked to the Material room - whenever I start a render the display changes to a rather jumbled view of the Material Room. Once the render starts in earnest, it goes away, but it looks.. well.. annoying.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

mackis3D ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 8:44 AM

Quote - I can't get into the material room, at all.

What exactly is happening then? Is Poser crashing or does it change to something you did not want to change to and then Poser crashes? At which occasion did that happen?

Or do you mean you can never enter the material room? Because then you maybe better uninstall and reinstall everything.

mackis3D ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 8:47 AM

Quote - whenever I start a render the display changes to a rather jumbled view of the Material Room. Once the render starts in earnest, it goes away, but it looks.. well.. annoying.

I did not even know you can render while in the material room. Maybe it's not meant that way?

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 9:34 AM · edited Fri, 25 September 2009 at 9:38 AM

Trekkiegrrrl,

The apparently jumbled view of the material room under the circumstances you describe is the last frame stuck in your video card's buffer, so it' nothing 'wrong'. It's just your video card waiting while more important things are going on. First time I saw it I thought, oh no! But it does this every time. Not really a glitch, and not annoying once you know it's a snapshot from several seconds, or even minutes, ago.

EDIT: Also, I have had exactly zero crashes in the material room even before SR1, and I've been working in there quite a lot. Could these problems be related to graphics memory? I've got a pretty high spec card (ATI Radeon 4800, 512Mb GDDR5 RAM) and I'm really not having any problems.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

lkendall ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 9:51 AM · edited Fri, 25 September 2009 at 9:52 AM

The Material Room has not crashed on me yet. I have used Poser 8 before the hotfix, after the hotfix, and after SR1.

Have you tried changing the Preview to the software version to see if it is a video card problem?

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 9:50 PM

I will try the two things mentioned above and report back.  -WTB

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 9:56 PM

I'll be damned, right-click got me in!  How silly :P

Vestmann ( ) posted Fri, 25 September 2009 at 11:36 PM

I had to do the right click thing prior to SR1, for both the material and the pose room. SR1 cleared right up for me.  I find it's both stable and very quick to jump between rooms now.

Vestmann's Gallery

Vestmann ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 12:08 AM

I´m sorry. I´m very tired and I probably read you wrong but I found your comment both rude and offensive so I thought your avatar (the picture under your name) might be a recent photo of you.

No harm intended and if I read you wrong I apologize.

Vestmann's Gallery

Peelo ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 12:17 AM

No.

I am rude and offensive on purpose. You have absolutely nothing to apologize for. You read me  absolutely right.

-Morbo will now introduce the candidates - Puny Human Number One, Puny Human Number Two, and Morbo's good friend Richard Nixon.
-Life can be hilariously cruel

Vestmann ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 12:22 AM

Quote -  No.

I am rude and offensive on purpose. You have absolutely nothing to apologize for. You read me  absolutely right.

hahaha.. ok. No problem then. Want to lie down and talk about it? Can I get you a blankie...?

I just see no reason for you to be rude in a public forum. If you're mad at someone abuse the IM system. Even though your comment was aimed at one person there's no need to offend everyone who come through here.

Vestmann's Gallery

Vestmann ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 12:49 AM

...so anyhoo....

The material room hasn't chrashed on me since PR1 and I find all the other room quite responsive too.

Vestmann's Gallery

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 6:57 AM

Right then.  A few posts were obviously deleted.  Let's try to keep on topic, folks ;)

SR1 problems, then?

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 26 September 2009 at 7:41 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Aww dammit.. Stop deleting post until AFTER I've read them! I hate to be left out! I wanna know who's rude to whom! :lol:

I'm not sure it's a genuine SR1 problem. Vestmann (and yes now I remember you were the one who mentioned rightclicking) had the problem prior to SR1, but not now, whereas WtB have the problem now and - afaik - NOT pre-SR1?

Seems more like something video card related. And talking about video cards... cspear THANKS for that explanation. I'd figured that it didn't do no harm, but it's always nice to know WHY it does like it does! Now that I know why that jumbled thing is coming up I can better ignore it. Before that there was always this tiny niggling "uh oh.. what if the whole thing crashes in a moment..." Good to know that's unwarranted!

It's just odd that it's ALWAYS the Material Room, even if I've been in Photoshop or other OpenGL applications in the meantime. But I guess that's Poser in a nutshell: Illogical and lovely L

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.