Mon, Sep 30, 5:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 3:32 am)

Subject: 72 dpi?

trades2cash ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 5:26 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 5:23 AM

I looked through the threads and dont see any help for my question. So here it is . I am running poser 7 and i do a render size 3600X5400 with the resolution set at 300. I export the render in a tiff, jpeg, and bmp. When I check the properties of each picture it shows 72dpi. How can this be? Sould not the pictures be 300 dpi or am i missing something?  Thanks for any help.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 5:36 PM

It's totally irrelevant unless you're sending the image to a print shop, in which case the dpi will be encoded in the file.  It's used by printers to squeeze higher res from the inherently grainy 4 colour process.

72dpi is the default size for on screen use, since it corresponds more or less to most CRT monitors.  AFAIK, TFT monitors have a somewhat different res but not by much.

In short, rendering at 300 dpi ain't really going to give you a higher quality image, just smaller than you think if you have it printed. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

drewradley ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 5:48 PM

As long as it is your desired size (3600X5400) it doesn't really matter what the DPI is. At 72 DPI, 3600 will be 50" and at 300 DPI it will be 12. Hope that helps.

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

trades2cash ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 6:02 PM

thanks for the info guys. I do want to have a certain render printed to a 8x10 and i just thought that a render with the size and quality setting would have been more than 72dpi.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 6:37 PM

Have you tried saving it as PSD? I've had renders saved and printed at 300 dpi - I think PSD retains it.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

drewradley ( ) posted Tue, 13 October 2009 at 6:38 PM · edited Tue, 13 October 2009 at 6:38 PM

If you want 8x10 printed at 300 DPI, your render should to be 2400x3000.

Now Playing
My Insomnia Presents
Blue Defender

trades2cash ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2009 at 5:37 PM

Thanks again for the help. TrekkieGrrrl, i tried your suggestion and saved it as a psd. When i bring it up in paint shop pro it says 200 dpi. So it does seem to retain the values better that the tiff of jpeg. 

DarksealStudios ( ) posted Wed, 14 October 2009 at 6:02 PM

No, that just means you have your settings in psp at 200dpi........reset it to 72dpi and you will see you get a "bigger" print size

It's all about the math.... pixels are the "dots" in dpi.......inches are the "i" in dpi.......so, like sam and drew said.........
if you want 8inch by 10 inch pic at 300 dpi it will be 2400x3000.............. if you want 8x10" at 72 dpi  your only looking at 576 x 720

So don't EVER make a png or jpeg product and tell people it's 2000x2000px at 300 dpi....you see? They are not related at all..........it's like saying a+b=c...and a=2000..... but you dont know what b or c equals (and then don't care  :P ). alittle off track, but you get my drift?

My Store   My Gallery    Contact

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.