Sun, Sep 15, 11:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:17 pm)

Subject: exporter does not work.

uncle808us ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 9:46 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 2:04 PM

using Mac 10.5.8 lepoard. I bought the module for Vue pro 7 $149.00 and when I export an obj that has been imported to vue it comes out all messed up. Did I just waste the money or am I missing something?

MacBook Pro OSX El Capitan Ver 10.11.6

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 10:44 AM

Did you read the manual, Tthere are ceratins steps and options to make this work.

uncle808us ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 10:48 AM

I din't think of that. I just expected it to export like all my other apps. Poser,C3D,bryce,Daz, Wings,ETC. but I will look at it.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 11:35 AM
Forum Moderator

Can't be much good if you have to RTM. :lol:

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

uncle808us ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 11:38 AM

LOL

bruno021 ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 12:33 PM

There vare different options for exporting the maps, so the object looks good exported. RTM is a must, guys!

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 2:13 PM

There was an interesting thread in this forum about reading manuals, a few weeks ago. :-)
I read manuals of everything I buy and I must admit I'm always a little bit surprised when people ask questions in forums (this or any other) before reading the manual. When I'm confronted with a difficulty, reading the manual is the first option that comes to my mind. Only if that doesn't work, then I ask someone. I always tell my son, since he was very young: "don't ask for what you can do yourself". I guess many people don't see it that way. :-)

uncle808us ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 2:44 PM · edited Tue, 20 October 2009 at 2:44 PM

Sorry if I offended anyone by just assuming after all that money it would just work. I read the manual and it din't clear anything up. So what's another $149.00. I should of read the manual.LOL

FrankT ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 2:46 PM

if you have any piccies showing what happens after you export (along with the export options) then it might be a bit easier to diagnose the problem

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 20 October 2009 at 2:47 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't feel offended in any way. It was also not my intention to offend anyone. I was just commenting on different ways of viewing things. :-)

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 1:21 AM

You say that when you export an obj that had previously been imported into Vue it gets messed up.  A couple of things:

1. Vue triangulates all imported meshes.  So if you imported a an object using quads it will export using tri's and they won't be welded either.  You may have to use something like UV Mapper to weld the mesh.

2. UV's and material zones may also get screwed up after export if you use exotic procedural materials. 

The Vue exporter is really designed to export Vue objects (e.g. Terrains, Vegetation, primitives, etc).  It was not designed to re-export objects which you have already imported - although with a bit of work, this might be feasible in some cases.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 1:46 AM

Quote - using Mac 10.5.8 lepoard. I bought the module for Vue pro 7 $149.00 and when I export an obj that has been imported to vue it comes out all messed up. Did I just waste the money or am I missing something?

Vue will mess up the original meshes and textures of imported OBJ files from other 3D apps if you export them back out again.

The module works great for exporting Vue plants as OBJ so that you can render them in other 3D programs.  And the module works great for importing OBJ models from other 3D programs.  But going in and out of Vue is basically the same as decimating your model.

If it was not a problem, there would be all kinds of sites to visit showing how wonderful it works and how useful that feature is.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

uncle808us ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 3:33 PM

I'd like to thank you all. I agree with **ShawnDriscoll "The module works great for exporting Vue plants as OBJ so that you can render them in other 3D programs.  And the module works great for importing OBJ models from other 3D programs.  But going in and out of Vue is basically the same as decimating your model." So I am happy with that explaination. Thank you all.

Osper ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 6:38 PM

Actually the Vue exporter works well if the object is not complicated.  Sometimes it takes several trys for me before a complicated object exports correctly.    I sometimes use Vue to break up complicated objects so as to get them into Wings 3D.  As to manuals, they sometimes answer the question you are looking for and sometimes it takes some one else who just did it and knows how it is done.  Thus the forums!   

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 6:58 PM · edited Wed, 21 October 2009 at 6:59 PM

I tell Vue to export a plant using OBJ and tell it to use BMP for the texture maps.  I do not change the resolution or the smooth settings (leave as default), otherwise the exported plant will be made worse or not at all because of decimation or file size bloat (the file is too big and never finishes saving and/or kills the RAM when trying to import into another app and never finishes loading).

I set the texture map size to around 1024KB (it choses 1033KB for me when I drag the size up from 200KB, and that works great for OBJ plants for medium shots).  Close up shots would need 2048KB size texture maps.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

uncle808us ( ) posted Wed, 21 October 2009 at 7:01 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.