Mon, Sep 16, 12:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:17 pm)

Subject: Poser/Vue integration

Crowning ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 5:24 AM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 10:57 PM

G'day,

right now, I pose my (human) characters in DAZ Studio, import to Vue, place the characters there, make small pose adjustments in DAZ, import again and so on until everything is right. This is of course not the best possible workflow.

Is this integration better with Poser? I use Vue 7.5 Infinite, so the direct import of poser files isn't a problem, but will I be able to 'pose' them inside Vue?

I don't mind spending some bucks on Poser (especially with the extra content), but only if it improves my workflow compared to the free version of DAZ Studio.

Your thoughts and/or experiences?

Tom

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 5:53 AM

Hi!

With Poser there's indeed the possibility that you make those small pose adjustments inside of Vue (there's an import option "allow re-posing inside of Vue"). Once your Poser model is in Vue, you can edit the object and this will display a dialog box where you see the dials (twist, bend, etc). You change these values, click apply and the model will change its pose.

However, I find this not very user friendly because it's very slow, even in a quadcore with 8GB, and the bodyparts do not move interactively while you move the dial (only when you click apply they move).

In practice, I do as you do even though I have this possibility. But this is me, maybe others will have a different experience.

wabe ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 6:27 AM

Isn't there an automatic detection in Vue that an imported/loaded item has changed? I think so. It definitely is for Poser imports - but for obj or 3DS I had this too.

What Vue version do you use?

AND, isn't there a demo version of Poser so that you can try yourself?

Last but not least, with Poser and its ps3 import you can use DBurdicks SkinVue Python script which is a big improvement of the workflow as well.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 6:29 AM

Oh, yes, I was assuming that you don't do a manual reimport. If you re-export your Daz character, Vue will re-import it to the same place. That's what I do.

Walther, Crowning wrote he uses 7.5 Infinite.

Crowning ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 6:56 AM

Quote - Oh, yes, I was assuming that you don't do a manual reimport. If you re-export your Daz character, Vue will re-import it to the same place. That's what I do.

Walther, Crowning wrote he uses 7.5 Infinite.

Oh, funny me: when I re-adjusted in DAZ Studio, I always exported with a new file name, so I've never noticed this.
Man, that is an easy solution 👍

Thanks to you all for your help.

Tom

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 7:48 AM

Crowning, I just answered you on this in the Poser forum, about the importing and re-posing!
See my answer there, it's pretty similar!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 8:04 AM

yeah Vue auotmatically updates :)
so import figure
check the pose, if need to fit character better in Vue scene, go back to Poser, tweak character, save and it iwll then come through to Vue with the tweak :)

when posing is finished THEN adjsut materials on the character, otherwise they get undone by the re-importing.
please note my Poser optimization of imports tutorial, link is in signature :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

wabe ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 8:18 AM

Well, those who read have a clear advantage.

However, good that it worked. But still, think about SkinVue.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 8:24 AM

*when posing is finished THEN adjsut materials on the character, otherwise they get undone by the re-importing.

*Not sure what you mean by this my friend, it's not an issue I've ever come across with my Poser imports after re-posing!!
The only issue I ever need to do is if I have a light just acting on the import, I have to reset that after a re-import, but never any textures or materials.
Maybe you could explain it further!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 9:00 AM

I always tweak my Poser imports that's all!: )

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 9:11 AM

Ah, so it's a personal thing, not a bug then!
Thanks for clearing that up.

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 12:08 PM

makes like Dan Akroyd, puts a stocking over head, puts two oranges up the stocking
*BZZZZZZT! I'm a bug! BZZZZT!! * :lol:

(it makes sense if you've seen 1941, the movie, lol)

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 12:13 PM

*it makes sense if you've seen 1941, the movie,

*Well I haven't and it doesn't....but I think I get the gist!!......Scots humour eh!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 19 September 2009 at 2:20 PM

Vile ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2009 at 3:50 PM

What file format do you export from Daz to import into Vue?

Crowning ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2009 at 4:12 PM

Quote - What file format do you export from Daz to import into Vue?

Wavefront .obj.

DAZ Collada works, too, but I've sometimes visible errors in the rendered result, so obj is (for me) the better choice.

Vile ( ) posted Thu, 22 October 2009 at 9:44 PM

Thanks Crowning you should see my first Vue image when I post it tomorrow its spooky!

Teruchan ( ) posted Fri, 30 October 2009 at 9:41 AM

I have never had great results attempting to repose character inside Vue. I find it better to get everything is far as possible inside Poser and then take it into Vue only for render.

On the flip side, I have also been known to render a skyball from Vue and bring that into Poser and render the final image there.

____
The Real Teruchan

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 8:48 AM

silverblade33 - the problem for me with your suggestion, is I am not just making one render, but a comic.  So when i render after playing with the materials in vue, then I want my character to go sit on a log or something, I reimport him sitting and suddenly I have to adjust all my textures again - very painful.
Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 7:04 PM

well I did a web comic for a while, need ot get back to it one day, sigh
I saved all the materials into appropriate folders, and jsut swapped 'em in as need!! ;)

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/wildspace/index.htm

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 31 October 2009 at 8:01 PM

guess that will be the way to go.

dburdick ( ) posted Sun, 01 November 2009 at 12:21 AM

In Vue 8 you can repose rigged characters directly in Vue without having to go back and forth between Poser or having to use the sluggish Vue-Poser connection.  The catch is that you have to export the rigged mesh as a Collada file with rigging which you can do using Poser Pro or DAZ Studio.  Once the rigged mesh is inside Vue, you can manipulate joints directly using the standard Vue manipulators.  Works really well for fine tuning a pose in Vue. 

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 01 November 2009 at 12:25 AM

that sounds handy for minor changes (as long as it's not sluggish -oh and I hear it doesn't keep the clothes conformed??).  Still won't help my problem of making  major pose changes preferably with the help of my vast library of poses in poser, arranging my people then reexporting them out to vue, then changing all their textures back to how they're meant to be in vue to match the previous panel in my comic which I did in vue.
well maybe poser 8 will give me the option of keeping my texture changes, like one of the previous versions of vue used to do.
Love esther

Crowning ( ) posted Sun, 01 November 2009 at 5:49 AM

Quote -  that sounds handy for minor changes (as long as it's not sluggish -oh and I hear it doesn't keep the clothes conformed??).  Still won't help my problem of making  major pose changes preferably with the help of my vast library of poses in poser, arranging my people then reexporting them out to vue, then changing all their textures back to how they're meant to be in vue to match the previous panel in my comic which I did in vue.
well maybe poser 8 will give me the option of keeping my texture changes, like one of the previous versions of vue used to do.
Love esther

At least in DAZ Studio you can uncheck to write the materials on export, so only the pose itself gets updated in Vue. Should work the same in Poser I guess.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 01 November 2009 at 5:55 AM

really?  If you use DS the whole vue imported figure doesn't suddenly lose all it's textures or anything bad?
love esther

Crowning ( ) posted Sun, 01 November 2009 at 4:55 PM

Quote -  really?  If you use DS the whole vue imported figure doesn't suddenly lose all it's textures or anything bad?
love esther

Yep.

I just verified this again: uncheck the 'Write Material Library' box in the .obj export dialog and your own textures won't be changed.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 01 November 2009 at 5:10 PM

handy!  will try.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.