Sun, Oct 6, 10:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: I give up.

Incognitas ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2009 at 2:31 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:39 AM

I've been trying to get an idea I had about 3 weeks ago to work.It's a very simple idea (M4 in the Celestial Armor in front of a realistic terrain with a rose and a spiders web and a bit of greenery.

Every time I save it it won't reopen and Bryce 6.2 just closes.I've tried every way I can to simplify it but it won't save,I can save some things but not others..

So I'm left thinking that it's just not worth spending the time as it's obvious my PC specs aren't up to it.

So how long does everyone else give such projects?Do you decide quickly or do you persevere for days,weeks,months or even years?Are there any projects lurking that you keep thinking you might eventually finish but the years have passed by?

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2009 at 2:40 PM

Quote -
So how long does everyone else give such projects?Do you decide quickly or do you persevere for days,weeks,months or even years?Are there any projects lurking that you keep thinking you might eventually finish but the years have passed by?

if I run into a problem I do everything I can to figure it out...if I don't have any answers within a couple of days, i go on to do something else and set the other aside until I either feel like getting into it again or decide it isn't worth my time.  I've had a couple of projects that I finished because someone came up with solutions much later and i spotted it in the forums.

I don't have any problems with Bryce 6 so I don't know any solutions for the problem you are having...but I'm sure someone will come in and help.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

army4499 ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2009 at 2:41 PM

Just a thought.  Sometimes there is just one small item in a scene which can cause the type of Save/Open problems you describe.  Just for an experiment, you might try removing one item at a time until you can Save/Open successfully.  Sometimes it is something you least suspect.  The last removed item would be the one which is causing the inconsistancy.  Carefully reviewing that item in an isolated instance of Bryce may reveal what problem is.  Often it has to do with transparent/hidden attributes.  I hope you don't give up.  It may be something simple. ;)

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2009 at 3:05 PM
Forum Moderator

You might check texture and object names. If they are too long they can cause problems.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2009 at 4:18 PM

Back in the day of my old pc, if a scene was big enough to make my computer cry, I would create the scene with an object or two, and then save that as a scenefile. Then a couple more objects and save that as another, separate scenefile.

So on and so forth until I had the scene created within a handful of separate scenefiles.

Then I would then attempt to "Merge" the scenes and try and save that full scene.

Or, try the same kind of technique, but save each object as an .obp and then try to combine all the objects within one scene file

Are there any projects lurking that you keep thinking you might eventually finish but the years have passed by?

• Gigabytes of that, yes, lol.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Prometheus273 ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2009 at 6:54 PM

Quote - Every time I save it it won't reopen and Bryce 6.2 just closes.I've tried every way I can to simplify it but it won't save,I can save some things but not others.

Where are you finding Bryce 6.2?

peedy ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 12:33 AM

I am with AnnieD.
A good idea is worth going through some trouble for. :-)

CORRIE

dhama ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 4:39 AM

Quote - > Quote - Every time I save it it won't reopen and Bryce 6.2 just closes.I've tried every way I can to simplify it but it won't save,I can save some things but not others.

Where are you finding Bryce 6.2?

I question this also, surely it's Bryce 7 by now?

IO4 ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 7:20 AM

Quote - Just a thought.  Sometimes there is just one small item in a scene which can cause the type of Save/Open problems you describe.  Just for an experiment, you might try removing one item at a time until you can Save/Open successfully.  Sometimes it is something you least suspect.  The last removed item would be the one which is causing the inconsistancy.  Carefully reviewing that item in an isolated instance of Bryce may reveal what problem is.  Often it has to do with transparent/hidden attributes.  I hope you don't give up.  It may be something simple. ;)

That's a really good point - I find that Bryce 6 on my computer really doesn't like V4 very much - if I use her with additional objects in the scene it tends to slow up, render really slow and other problems., generally making scenes for me unworkable. So I stick to V3 and M3 for now. You could give that a try if you have M3, might make a little difference.

Bryce 6.1 was the last public release - there is no Bryce 7 yet.

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 10:26 AM

I usually give myself a fixed amount of time or I'm never finished. Otherwise I'd be tweaking until the final horn sounds.

Things that have killed Bryce saves:

Extreme poses, bending an arm till the joint skin wrinkles up or bending an arm+clothing till it sticks inside the back or butt of the character. I know the camera won't see it but the engine still has to calculate how to render it.

Fancy props, especially those with transparencies. I tried horsefeathers posable mane and tail for the poser horse.once again any time the mane penetrated another object the file would not save. Don't stick something through something else, especially if it has transparency.

Degenerate faces, Melinneum Dragon LE won't work well in Bryce. supposedly there are open points in the mesh though I haven't tried to find them. Changing the flap angle on the wings can sometimes fix this.

Non PC imports, I've had trouble with Japanese poser files, imports made on Macs that violate PC naming conventions, Busted cob files with hidden geometries. If the material names are a page long or a single cup is 10Mb then something is wrong with the import. 

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 11:01 AM

yeah..Japanese poser files are written for the Japanese version of Poser. What the difference is, I dunno...but evidently there are differences...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

dhama ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 3:55 AM

Quote -
Bryce 6.1 was the last public release - there is no Bryce 7 yet.

:rolleyes:

zorzim ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 12:06 PM

**Incognitas.. I had the same import problems a while ago... then I discovered that EVERY MATERIAL imported in Bryce that carries within the  :   symbol as namefile is ruining the saved scene somehow, til the point that when you got to reopen the saved file, its impossibile.

SO try this, once imported the Poser file, check EVERY surface/material REMOVING every
" :  " symbol that you find.

You got to remove all of them....

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.