Sun, Oct 6, 6:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: OT - advice, please

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 2:58 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 12:57 PM

I'm a working musician and, as you would expect, travel a lot. I have been noticing strange things happening when I get home. Claire's mobile phone rings and she steps outside to answer it or she says "I'll call you back later." When I ask her who called she gets evasive.

Sometimes she goes out with friends but comes home late, getting dropped off around the corner and walking the rest of the way. I once picked up the extension while she was on the phone and she got very angry.

A buddy of mine plays guitar in a band. He told me that my wife and some guy have been to his gigs. He wanted to borrow my guitar amp.

That's when I got the idea to find out for myself what was really happening.
I said "Sure, you can use my amp but I want to hide behind it at the gig and see if she comes into the venue and who she comes in with." He agreed.

Saturday night came and I slipped behind my vintage Marshall stack to get a good view. I could feel the heat coming off the back of the amp. It felt even hotter when sure enough, I saw Claire walk in the door on the arm of another man. 

It was at that moment, crouching down behind the amp, that I noticed that one of the tubes was not glowing as bright as the other three.

Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to take it to a technician?

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 3:06 PM · edited Sun, 22 November 2009 at 3:17 PM

my feeling would be to let her keep taking sam jr. to these gigs, provided there ain't alotta second-hand reefer smoke :lol:   however, altho they say that those old-style triode and diode vacuum tubes give a better representation of the extreme bass and treble tones, one could talk to a technician about switching to newer solid-state MOS-FET devices.

p.s. that's the other advantage of these SSDs - one needn't pull out one of 'em from its 8-pin or 12-pin socket and use steel wool on the pins, should they get a bit damp.

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 3:08 PM

Sam, you're a real bar steward......

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 3:08 PM

Heh.  I'd never switch from a tube amp.  

BTW, I just told Claire I posted this and she says, once she's finished feeding little Samuel, she's gonna kick my ass. :) 

My Store

My Gallery

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 3:08 PM

In regards to the amp, could be a bad tube. Usually it's best to replace all of them at the same time. I change mine once every 1-2 years depending on how much I'm playing.
Sometimes you can knock new ones in and no big deal, Done right...you need to have the amp biased to the tubes, need an o scope.

Comitted to excellence through art.

dphoadley ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 3:15 PM

For the wife, get a ball-n-chain; for the Amp, apply a spanner to it broadside! (like in the movie Armageddon).
dph

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 4:09 PM

Just to be perfectly clear, my first post wasn't quite true... I have a Marshall DSL 100, not a vintage model.  

Oh, and the tubes are in tip top condition, too. :) 

My Store

My Gallery

thedoctor ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 5:38 PM

F*ck! I enjoyed that post. ..... you had me going for a moment .... 

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 5:52 PM

-.-     o.o    O.O    x.x

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 7:14 PM

Quote - Oh, and the tubes are in tip top condition, too. :) 

Really, so you have put them on a scope, eh? Musicians trying to be electricians...gad. 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 8:09 PM

Quote - Just to be perfectly clear, my first post wasn't quite true... I have a Marshall DSL 100, not a vintage model.  

Oh, and the tubes are in tip top condition, too. :) 

Definitely stick with tubes....lolol.

Too funny ;o). LMAO.

Laurie

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2009 at 9:35 PM

I dunno but it cries out to be turned into a blues song or country, though rock would do as well. 

'Rosie you're all right..."

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 4:45 PM

Quote - > Quote - Oh, and the tubes are in tip top condition, too. :) 

Really, so you have put them on a scope, eh? Musicians trying to be electricians...gad. 😉

No, my amp tech buddy makes sure everything is in apple pie order. And yes, he does use a scope.  And several other bits that I have no idea about and no intention of finding out.  :tongue2:

My Store

My Gallery

Rance01 ( ) posted Mon, 23 November 2009 at 5:11 PM

Thanks Sam, I really did laugh out load.

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2009 at 1:39 AM

sneaky...;) well, at least make the other guy carry the gear out (those transformers are heavy...more than meets the spine...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

linkdink ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2009 at 2:46 AM

Pretty damn funny!!!  thanks for the laugh

Gallery

3Dave ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2009 at 4:42 AM

Thanks Sam, I now have tea dribbling from my nose

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 25 November 2009 at 10:17 PM

To funny! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.