Fri, Oct 4, 1:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Parent figure to another figure, save, when loaded not parented...

muralist ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 8:49 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 7:51 AM

I load my main figure, load the second figure, parent it to the main, then save it.  When I restart Poser, load the main figure, then load the second figure from the library, it isn't parented.  How do I save it so it "sticks" to the main figure on loading?

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 8:55 AM

you cant Parent figures ... you conform figures ..
Parent Props to figures or props to props .. not figures to figures ..
It wont work ..

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

vholf ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:10 AM · edited Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:13 AM

Actually, you can. You have to save the parent to the library, not the child, then you'll get a prompt to save the single figure or the whole group. 

What you can't do is save a figure as a prop that will get parented when you load it, you have to saved it parented to the figure as a group.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:14 AM

but then it will be loaded as a whole group..
then it becomes one set , like a shirt incl a Bowtie ..
not loading a bowtie later..
as you can with parented props or conformed figures..

Or did i mis a class :}

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

vholf ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:16 AM

Correct, I did mention that. That you can only do with props.

muralist ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:20 AM

Barcode:  Under the Figure option in the menu bar you can Set Figure Parent.

What Hioushi is saying is impossible is exactly what I'm trying to do:  save a figure in the same was as a smartprop.

I have a train car with 8 compartments, high or low res; I want to give folks the option of loading only the high-res ones they need and the rest low.  I suppose I can make the default load with all low-res compartments, and a user can delete one and add the high-res there, then parent it themselves.  I am trying to make it simple for novice users.

Does anyone know of a hack for this?

chriscox ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:26 AM

You can try editing the CR2 files in a text editor or better a Poser file editor such Poser File Editor or CR2Editor.
You can try changing the parent line in the Body section to smartparent.
for example I sved a custom hair figure that was parented to a head so in the Body section I changed the line "parent head:1" to "smartparent head:1" and the the hair loaded in position parented to the head.

Chris Cox

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:30 AM

Barcode:  Under the Figure option in the menu bar you can Set Figure Parent.

Mmm yeah.. still you cant parent figures to figures..
And make em load seperated ...

Make it easy ..

extract the obj from the file and make extra loading options
with the Lres part and the Hres inside or how ever you want to make it..
Multiple option on loading, but all use the same obj files in geometries ..

Thats the most simple way .. make it prefixed for them..
one all Hi res one all low res one Lres and inside Hires etc etc .. the obj's will come from the same file.
So the zip or exe wont be bigger then otherwise..

BC

Chris

My Free Stuff

muralist ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:34 AM

Barcode:  the cr2's already call external geometry. 

The files are:

HP_Carriage.obj
HP_Car_Int_High.obj
HP_Car_Int_Low.obj

How do you mean "make extra loading options?"

chriscox ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:38 AM

Quote - Barcode:  the cr2's already call external geometry. 

The files are:

HP_Carriage.obj
HP_Car_Int_High.obj
HP_Car_Int_Low.obj

How do you mean "make extra loading options?"

Did smartparent not work?

Chris Cox

muralist ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 10:04 AM

Smartparent DOES work.  I posted, but the post is apparently lost.

In the compartment figure I changed

Parent:  UNIVERSE
 to
smartparent:  Carriage:1

Now when I load the Carriage, then load the compartment from the library, it sticks to the Carriage.  Thanks ChrisCox!

One thing weird about it:  BODY_1 is added to the Carriage's Body Parts list.

muralist ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 10:06 AM

In my final train I might have 3 carriages.  Can I alter the internal carriage BODY Name from   BODY:1 to a unique name so that each of them can have compartments and not be confused?

chriscox ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 10:26 AM

Is Carriage a body part or is it the figure?  What I did was parent to a body part and not the figure and I didn't end up with anything weird like you are seeing.

Also I would not change the interna name Body to anything else.  Body is one of the word that can be special to Poser and may have unintended consequences, but I would have to plat with it to be sure.  I know that if you create a figure with a part named Body it can act weird.

Chris Cox

muralist ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 10:32 AM

ChrisCox:
BODY isnt geom, just internal name in figure;  Carriage is the main shell of the car, then there are parts like Roof, doors, etc. 

I parented the compartment to the Carriage Part.  I'll try it diferently and see what happens.  I thought I should avoid parenting it to BODY since there's the same name in every figure and it could get confusing. 

chriscox ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 10:40 AM · edited Sat, 28 November 2009 at 10:43 AM

I'm actually seeing the extra body part now, I must have overlooked it before.
And playing around with changing the Body's internal name like you suggested seems to be working OK without any unintended effects so you can try that and see what you think.

I think what you were doing parenting to the Carriage should be good. 

BTW when I wrote body part I was referring to parts of the body such as Carriage, Roof, Door, etc.

Chris Cox

ockham ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 12:03 PM

Attached Link: 1910 electric

There is a python solution to this.  I used it in the 1910 Electric Car.  Look at the PY script, and also at the ReadPyScript statement at the end of the Headlights (the child figure)

Feel free to use the script as a template.... if you can't spot the items to change,
talk at me by site-mail.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 5:39 PM · edited Sat, 28 November 2009 at 5:45 PM

Quote - In my final train I might have 3 carriages.  Can I alter the internal carriage BODY Name from   BODY:1 to a unique name so that each of them can have compartments and not be confused?

Yes, you can change the internal name "BODY" to something else. It is usually best to leave the display name, the name that appears in the "name" line, as "BODY", because this will allow you to select it via "Body" in the selection drop-down, other wise it will be placed in the "Body Parts" menu.

I find that using "smartparent" in a figure can cause problems if you try to delete either figure whilst the parenting is still in place. You should change the parent to UNIVERSE before deleting either figure. You should only parent the BODY of the child figure, but it can be parented to any part of the parent figure. A part directly under the BODY of the parent figure, "hip" in a human figure, is usually the most appropriate part, but BODY, or any other part can be used as the parent if desired.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.