Sat, Sep 21, 9:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Hardware effect on Poser performance...

Kelmar ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2001 at 1:47 PM ยท edited Sat, 31 August 2024 at 8:38 AM

Been using Poser 4 for a while now, I'm kind of getting tired of waiting forever for the rendering. I'm wondering how much each piece of hardware would affect Poser performance. I know faster processor/ more ram would definitely improve performance. I'm more interested in how the video card would help. Does Poser use any of the hardware acceleration? Hope I'm making sense.

Moonbiter ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2001 at 1:56 PM

This was brought up a while back and the conclusion I believe was that Poser 4 didn't take advantage of video card ram or hardware acceleration. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

steveshanks ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2001 at 2:50 PM

Moonbiter is right no software will us the Vcard to render only a faster CPU and memory will do that...CPU being the most important of the 2.....Steve

Kelmar ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2001 at 3:01 PM

Doh... guess what I'm putting in for Poser 5 suggestion? Thanks for the info. =)

Nosfiratu ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2001 at 10:10 PM

Personally, I have always seen the greatest effect on render times when adding RAM. Anthony

wiz ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2001 at 8:29 AM

"guess what I'm putting in for Poser 5 suggestion?" I have no idea. I hope that you're not suggesting Poser try to use the video card for its rendering, because video cards can't do the things that Poser needs (shadows, transparency maps, etc). That's not part of a video card API (OpenGL or DirectX), it's part of the application itself. On the other hand, it would be nice to have the video card hardware accelerate posing....

Freon ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2001 at 5:22 PM

You can do all of those and more using Direct3D or OpenGL, but using a software renderer is the safe and dependable way to go. Hardware accelerated preview/posing mode would be great tough. Especially if they also support the HW T&L engines of current cards.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.