Sun, Oct 6, 2:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Website

Meowgli ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 11:50 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 2:26 PM

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd pop in to say that after months of umming and erring I finally found a provider which suited me, got my ass in gear and built my website :-)

It only launched a couple of days ago and is my first stab at building one, so I'd love to hear what you think. Suggestions are welcomed, no matter how big or small, and all feedback is much appreciated, both critical and positive.

If you have a spare minute or two, pop on over to www.adamedwardsphotography.com to check it out, and maybe consider signing the guestbook too!

all the best,

Adam

Adam Edwards Photography

inshaala ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 3:07 PM

Nice site - looks really good.  One comment i have is that it doesnt work if you want to buy prints if you are using Chrome.  But that is 3% of people so not much to worry about - havent installed Firefox on this machine yet, but i would assume it works on there.

Good luck with it all! (gives me a push to get back onto mine and update it a bit)

Oh - and get your rear end down to london... tentpole! ;-)

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

whaleman ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 6:00 PM

Adam,

Your site is well done and obviously the photos are excellent. I would add a few comments:

1.  Most sizes are a 2:3 ratio but a 6 x 6 size is offered but no sample of how the photo would be cropped in a square format.

2.  Many people will not know what A3 and A4 sizes are; I would add the measurements, including the units.

3.  Where you have shown sizes, I would add units to remove any doubts people may have about the actual size.

4.  I disable specified backgrounds and just use a white background and your site looks quite well this way, in fact I think it is better than the black background because reading white letters on a black background works okay for about 20 words, then it becomes a major eyesore.

Best of luck with your endeavor!

Wayne

Meowgli ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 6:45 PM

Firstly thanks to Helle, Gayne and Tunde (so far) for signing the guestbook, doesn't look quite so lonely in there now! ;)

Rich - thanks mate, and yup it works fine on Firefox, not sure how to go about fixing that for Chrome really... maybe I'll send an email to the provider.... oh, and I checked on Google analytics for its first day of being live and only 5% of visitors were using Chrome (over 90% Firefox or Internet Explorer).... still worth looking into though so ta! I'll be darkening the doorsteps of the capital maybe sometime before Christmas, most likely not long into the new year, will of course keep you posted..

Wayne - thanks very much for these suggestions, some good points! 2 & 3 I am taking on board and will incorporate in the coming day or two. I didn't actually check how it looked on white yet cos as long as I can remember I've wanted a site with a dark background as, conversely, I find it to be easier on the eyes!!! I'll have a play around though and judge each on its merits, who knows I might switch direction eventually ;)

I can't make sense of your first suggestion though unless I am to be as bold as to suggest you may have mis-read the sizes on some images.... 6x6 implies a square format.... the square images I have for sale start at 8x8, running up to 16x16. The smallest size I am offering in 2:3 format is 9x6 (nine by six), perhaps it is this which you got it mixed up with..? As far as I can see, nowhere on the site am I offering a 6x6, though do please correct me with a link to the specific page if I am wrong.

Thanks to all for the input so far, any more suggestions and feedback and I'll be glad to hear it!

Cheers,

Adam

Adam Edwards Photography

Meowgli ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 7:17 PM

Wayne - my apologies, I have just found out what you meant by the 6x6 sizes, somehow they crept into the 3x2 format pricings right after the largest size... must have been those late nights slaving away over a hot keyboard!

I have now made the updates you suggested in your points 2&3, and have removed the 6x6's from where they weren't meant to be.... thanks very much for bringing that to my attention! :)

Adam

Adam Edwards Photography

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 8:32 PM

I just returned from a visit to your website. My primary comments are on the guest book text.   I would be pleased to have such a site.   Tom

inshaala ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2009 at 7:22 PM

False alarm it seems - it is all working now with Chrome.

I got the 3% figure from wikipedia on browser usage... depends on a lot of factors really - if it is work hours then the non-IE browsers come out to play for obvious reasons... IE6 in my case, arg! 

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

Meowgli ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 5:04 AM

Good news :) cheers for that me ol mucker

Tom your message didn't arrive for some reason, oh well not to worry!

Adam Edwards Photography

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 12:02 PM

Adam, I posted again in the guest book.  If it doesn't arrive, please let me know.
Do you preview the signings or does it simply display on the guest book?   Tom.

Meowgli ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 12:03 PM

hi Tom yes it's there now, thanks very much! :)

it's quite good really, I get mailed when they arrive, then I can either mark them as "read" or "use on guestbook" which nicely sidesteps any potential spam issues.

Adam Edwards Photography

Guidonr1 ( ) posted Sun, 29 November 2009 at 11:25 AM

I'd say a very nice site! And you make great pictures! Only thing i would change is to make separate categories from your gallery item food and abstracts. Now they are in one categorie but they don't relate to each other.

bentchick ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 3:59 PM

Well done, Adam! I like your site alot! Very simple and easy to navigate.
I was kind of bummed that I did not find a link on the guestbook page to comment.
Best of luck!
Kim

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

Meowgli ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 7:20 AM

Thanks for the comments :)

to Guidonr1, this is a good suggestion, the only reason they are like that at the moment is because both food and abstract as separate categories didn't really have enough to warrant a gallery of their own, so I lumped them together, also to try and keep the layout reasonably neat... in the coming months as the categories grow as I shoot more, I'll probably change it to something else ;)

Kim - thanks very much! that's a good point... as they are, there are separate pages for viewing the guestbook, and signing the guestbook... I think what I'll do just to make it easier is put a link at the top of the guestbook which is something like "sign guestbook" so it's that little bit clearer..

thanks again to all who currently visited and/or left a little comment

Adam

Adam Edwards Photography

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.