Sat, Aug 3, 12:11 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 25 7:29 pm)

Subject: Building a machine for under 2 Grand ?

slonishko ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 4:45 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 10:22 PM

I am an avid gamer, but what can i build for under 2,000USD that I can run any of my CG apps (vue, Cinema 4D,ZBrush, Daz Studio ect.) and be able to have kick ass graphics for my games and no out of memory issues with Vue as well.

Specs must be 64bit dual or quad(prefered) Intel,Nvidia a MUST.

P.S. NO NEED FOR MOUSE, KEYBOARD, MONITOR AND STUFF, JUST THE MAIN TOWER

Hdrider ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 5:38 PM

Hello,

First off, I haven't bought an off-the shelf computer in about twenty years.  My latest was built with parts mostly from online stores. My favorite is:
http://www.newegg.com/

My suggestions:
 Case - One with a lot of drive bays and multiple fans...I like to leave room for expansion and the    more air flow the better

Power supply - 650w+...the newer motherboards, memory, etc. aren't  too "green"...they use a lot of juice.

Motherboard - Your choice. I like the MSI and aBit ones.

CPU - You said you like Intel but AMD isn't so bad either. I'm currently running an AMD Phenom X4 940 3gHz and it's plenty fast and not too pricey.

Video - I also prefer Nvidia. Right now, I have a 9500 GT PCIE card and a 8500 on the motherboard. SLI capable but I really haven't found any advatage for this so I don't use it.

Monitor -  Users choice. 20- 23 inch widescreen is probably enough unless you want to get exotic.

Now, these are just my biased suggestions and I'm sure someone else will have different suggestions.
If you shop around on the net, you can find some good deals.

Any other questions, just ask.

Later...

No good deed goes unpunished ...

slonishko ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 6:44 PM

I built my last one, but that was about 3 yearsago, and it is kinda out of date. I am staying tihe US right now and heading back to Europe after the New Year and would like to built it before i go. I have a 650W 220V power supply there already, so can change out that one. I am thinking maybe somewhere i can maybe buy the mainboard with the videocard RAM and processors already attached :D

For mouse I have a Razer Copperhead, for keyboard  have the Logitech G11  gaming, and for monitor i have a Dell 32" already waiting over there. My main interests are the mainboard, video card CPU's and RAM. I would MUCH prefer to have them already preassembled and just pack them in my suitcase because shipping is gonna cost a fortune in taxes.

eclipse245 ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 8:52 PM

CPU: Intel i7 940  You can find a proper socket mobo
GPU: ATI HD5870
RAM: W/e mobo requires 4GB

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 9:46 PM · edited Sun, 06 December 2009 at 9:47 PM

I plan to get my next tower computer from Alienware.  I no longer build my own computers because it cost more that way.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

eclipse245 ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 10:06 PM · edited Sun, 06 December 2009 at 10:07 PM

Alienware isn't any more cheaper tbh.

ddaydreams ( ) posted Mon, 07 December 2009 at 12:08 AM

For the OS Win 7 pro 64 can handle 192GIGS RAM, Might be a while before Most Mobos can catch up with that.

Frank Hawkins/Owner/DigitalDaydreams

Frank_Hawkins_Design

Frank Lee Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery Store

My U.S.A eBay Graphics Software Store~~ My International eBay Graphics Software Store

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 07 December 2009 at 1:56 AM

Asus P6 mobo.
Intel I7 chip
Nvidia 9800GT [1 gig] minimum, preferably one of the new GTX cards.
At least 8 Gig RAM, I think the P6 mobo takes 3 Gig sticks of DDR3 in 4 slots which will give you 12 Gig, more than enough.

My own:
Asus P5 mobo
Quad core Q6600
Nvidia 9800GT as above
8 Gig RAM.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

slonishko ( ) posted Mon, 07 December 2009 at 1:58 AM

So far I have these 2 built :

Not much of a difference, but the TD one is closer to what i need/want,

As for the newegg, well i think it is quite pricy... even more so than BestBuy (;

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4601609&CatId=333

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DPCWHX1&s=dhs

also, the AlienWare one is a bit more than I need...so it is all a bit wonderous :D

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 07 December 2009 at 6:41 AM

Funny timing... I just built a new computer for a family member out of newegg parts for the holidays.

Asus P5, Quad core, 2x2 Gb of RAM, 2x1 TB SATA Hard drives, Radeon HD5870 - all for just under $900. I recycled a spare case, keyboard, mouse and monitor. 

The configuration allow to tack on another 4 Gb of RAM if necessary. I am starting with windows 32bits for now but that will change if he wants to go beyond 4 Gb. 

eclipse245 ( ) posted Mon, 07 December 2009 at 6:47 AM

Quote -  Funny timing... I just built a new computer for a family member out of newegg parts for the holidays.

Asus P5, Quad core, 2x2 Gb of RAM, 2x1 TB SATA Hard drives, Radeon HD5870 - all for just under $900. I recycled a spare case, keyboard, mouse and monitor. 

The configuration allow to tack on another 4 Gb of RAM if necessary. I am starting with windows 32bits for now but that will change if he wants to go beyond 4 Gb. 

which quad did u use?

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 07 December 2009 at 9:18 AM · edited Mon, 07 December 2009 at 9:28 AM

Correction, I looked at my purchase order and here are the details :

ASUS P7P55D ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Radeon HD 4670 Video Card
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Rosewill RX850-S-B 850W "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

I should add that I made the deliberate choice to not go for the latest and greatest in order to keep the cost down. This configuration give me the processing power I wanted for 3D and games while not breaking the bank :)

volter ( ) posted Mon, 07 December 2009 at 10:35 AM
silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 07 December 2009 at 1:17 PM

What TheFIxer said ;)

oh and pelase ntoe:
if you are seriously into art, do NOT run your games onthe same PC!!!
many games come with *%$!@ "so-called Digital Rights Management", in fact, some of it's out right malware. You get noticebale system slow down with that garbage, grr. 

PO's  me off no end that I buy games legit (hey, fair prices for great enjoyment, so no issue there...but console prices are a rip off)..and then you get hellish malwar,e rootkits etc that absolutely does NOT stop pirates one little bit, but messes me up :(
Pretty damn sure it was a miz of such garbage and the fact Maxtor drives suck, that cost me 3 drives and lots of lost stuff in only a few months interval, IIRC that's when I lost the original files of my "Wyvern's Twilight" pic and that really got me mad!!!!

so, ahem, rant mode off ;)
Kepe art and game PCs, seperate, Share monitor/keyboard etc if wish but keep 'em seperate
PCs are massivley overpowered for games now, hehe, so doens't cost much to have an amazing game rig. PC grpahic cards are liek 3 to 5 years ahead of games in term sof horespower, so a 9800nvidia is plenty powerful, never mind the newer ones!

Art rigthough, you want quad cores, 6+gigs of RAM etc.
games rigs are fine with 4 gigs (with WIn7 64 bit)
:)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.