Thu, Sep 19, 10:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:38 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: I just got back from seeing "Avatar"!

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 2:28 AM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 9:50 PM

The cast and crew screening of Avatar was tonight in Hollywood.

I'll just say that it was amazing and in my opinion, has easily met any hype and expectations about it. I saw it in 3D and would strongly suggest that if you have a chance to see it that way, it will make this already cool movie just blow your socks off.

I'll be back in line this weekend to see it again (along with about half the planet).

Kirk

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

doarte ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 6:21 AM

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 6:38 AM

Kirk - Awesome buddy.

We're you involved in this movie as well?

Hope you're doing well my friend.  :)
Clint

MaterialForge ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 9:11 AM

Man, awesome. Can't wait to see it.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 9:21 AM

the important question is....

what size drink movie is it?

(eg Lord of the Rings, any part, is a NO drink movie. have a drink and your squirming by the end....)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 10:18 AM

Yeah, I cut my Production Assistant teeth in on Avatar right before I went and worked on A Christmas Carol.

I would say Avatar is a small to no drink movie, running time is 2 hours 41 minutes. It is definitely one of those movies that you do not feel like it was 2.5 hours though. You get pretty caught up in it and it doesn't really let you go until the end. (which is a 20 minute long battle scene!)

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2009 at 10:56 PM

Maybe if the theatre is VERY dark you could have a really BIG drink , and then like pee in the empty cup ?

sit way in the balcony near the people having sex :)

I havent been to a theatre in a LOONNNGGGG time :( 

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2009 at 10:38 AM

o.k., thx fr the info, smith.  I'm gonna see it too ASAP. if production, distribution, merchandising and advertising costs add up to approx. $320 millions, I hope none of the contractees agreed to a percentage of the "net".  I ain't a lawyer.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 17 December 2009 at 2:02 PM

$320 million was just the budget for production. Add in everything else and you are staring at $500 million.

Which doesn't matter, I'll be shocked if Avatar doesn't make over 1 Billion in the box office. Then dvd/blu-ray sales will double that in the next 2-10 years, no problem. Then there is the merchandise which could/will dwarf everything else.

Expect an Avatar sequel or prequel one day. There was literally mountains of 3D content produced for this movie, some was never used.

And, some of the actors have been signed for up to 2 more Avatar movies. (which is fairly common studio practice now)

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2009 at 12:40 PM

Cool, Cool. I can't wait to see it

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2009 at 3:03 PM

man, $500 millions! everybody in hollywood musta gotta piece of the action!

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2009 at 4:53 PM

Normally only select above the line people get points (a percentage) of a films profits. i.e; actors producers, directors. But also, Avatar was just the movie that would not die, lol. The production facility was employing production people (not just office personnel) off and on for almost 3 YEARS. That's unheard of.

Belladzines ( ) posted Tue, 29 December 2009 at 1:11 AM

I saw it also and it was just missing something .. not sure what ....
i've heard people say its another dances with wolves just on a different type of genre, and i can see where theyre coming from as i love dances with wolves.

i would like to see it again, just to give it another chance and make sure i didnt miss anything.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 29 December 2009 at 7:09 PM

The idea of an outsider becoming part of a different culture/race has been used quite a bit through the ages. Makes for a wonderful parable story to show the similarities between cultures that seem so vastly different.

With Avatar, I am also reminded of Dustin Hoffman in "Little Big Man".

But, because you mention it, a little trivia;

In Avatar the elder Na'Vi, "Eytukan" was played by Wes Studi, who played "Toughest Pawnee" in the movie Dances With Wolves.

Dann-O ( ) posted Tue, 29 December 2009 at 7:48 PM

Right agent that was what I thought too. Little big man becase of his role also in teh demise of the colnol too like the ending of Custer at Little big horn. Great film and looked like a lot of work. bt a big payoff too.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

Belladzines ( ) posted Tue, 29 December 2009 at 10:52 PM

yeah i recognised his voice .. and i'm like 'thats the dude from ..." dances with wolves, last of the mohicans and Kings (tv series) and other movies ....

RAGraphicDesign ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2010 at 8:39 AM · edited Sun, 03 January 2010 at 8:40 AM

I received, as a gift for Christmas, a book about Avatar. Unfortunately here in Italy we have to wait a while to view it.......

My Store

My Freestuff

coolcatcom ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2010 at 8:29 AM

I went to see it because of all the “Hype”. The graphics, and, visuals, very good. The story line,  mediocre. (we want to be your friends because we want to mine your recourses). I wasted my money !  For me bottom of the movie list. Hey I could of kept my mouth shut. But I’m entitled to my opinion even if it seems to go against the grain.

I will accept 2 lashes. But that’s it.    

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 26 January 2010 at 6:12 AM

There's a really cool making-of video about Avatar at this link, that goes into a lot of detail about several aspects of making the film. It's about 20 minutes long, and I thought it was pretty good.

It won't change your mind about whether you like the film, but if you enjoy seeing how movies are put together, it's a fun watch.

😄

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Tue, 26 January 2010 at 8:06 AM

Thanks for the link CaptainJack!

Clint

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.