Sun, Oct 6, 7:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Question On Copyright

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2009 at 11:11 AM · edited Sun, 14 July 2024 at 10:56 PM

Hi again!  Sorry for all the questions, but this one has been bugging me for some time, and I'm sure it may be helpful to others...

Hypothetically, if I were to do a scene that included a TV set and, to add to the realism of the scene, I used an image from a recognizable TV show, making no claim to it, would that be a violation of copyright since it is readily recognizable as what it is and I make no claim to ownership or development?

If any one with knowledge of this can give me an answer, I would appreciate it very much.  Also, I am asking in the spirit of artistic learning and in no way intend to hold any one liable for giving friendly advice.

Thanks!

Kevin

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2009 at 11:29 AM

I did a little research and have come to believe that the hypothetical situation I described in my original post would fall under the doctrine of "fair use" (at least in the United States).  Therefore not being an infringement of copyright as there is no change to the material, no improper display (as in portraying the copyrighted material in a negative or distorting way) or otherwise damaging the right holder.

If any one has an alternate view, please post!

Thanks again!

Kevin

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2009 at 12:43 PM
Forum Moderator

I think 'fair use' pertains to the using of copyrighted images to illustrate a point or demonstrate a subject. Just grabbing a frame from a recognisable tv show would be a no-no.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2009 at 12:59 PM

Hmmm...  I appreciate the input.  (And possible saving of butt)...  😉

Bummer, though....

Kevin

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2009 at 2:01 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showforum.php?forum_id=12395

check out the copyright forum header they have links to explaining fair use and such.  You would be surprised what you can and can not use.

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2009 at 3:20 PM

Quote - check out the copyright forum header they have links to explaining fair use and such.  You would be surprised what you can and can not use.

Did NOT know it even existed...  [ashamed]

Thank you...

Quest ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2009 at 3:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13241

This link in particular Kevin.

GreenHawke ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2009 at 3:46 PM

Quote - This link in particular Kevin.

Thank you...

electroglyph ( ) posted Mon, 21 December 2009 at 12:13 PM

In the US psrt of the FCC rules state that the air waves are free. All this really means is your local broadcaster can't send your house a bill just because you are in range of the signal.It doesn't even give you the right to tape network shows though this is done all the time. There are a lot of things that are Illegal but still customary. For instance, adultery has been illegal on the books in Tennessee since 1900 something. There have been thousands of divorces citing adultery but not one has been procecuted for adultery. Without adultery being illegal however you might as well claim you are divorcing because the person is left handed or blond.

Let's look at  a current situation. If you look at the BestBuy circular the majority of TV sets have an image of the movie District 9. This is fine for Sony TV's.Sony also owns the studio that made the movie. What about the Panasonic and Toshiba sets? The Samsung LED TVs have the little hummingbird image but even their regular sets have District 9.

It seems quite reasonable that Sony could sue Panasonic, Toshiba,and Samsung for using It's movie to sell TV's.Ther reverse is actually true. Sony paid BestBuy to place District 9 images on as many TV's as possible in order to promote the movie. The Samsung LED sets have their own trademarked hummingbird so were left alone.

So couldn't Panasonic, Toshiba, and Samsung sue Sony for placing it's image on their sets? If they had their own movie studios with films in production they might, but no. Sony is not cutting into the sale of their films because they don't have any.

Advertising study after study has shown that consumers are more attracted to a TV with an image on it than a blank or blue screen. The other companies could sue Sony over this practice. They would then be forced to have their own images made at their cost. They have essentially received free advertising copy at Sony's expense. Sony wins, they win, everybody's happy. Is it Illegal? Yes! Is it customary to look the other way when everybody's getting paid?Absolutely! You don't have to show damages to actually file a claim, but the reality is no one is going to pay for a lawyer unless they can recover something.

So is anyone hurt by this practice? What about the CG guys who made the ship or the graphic artists that designed the alien sign used in the image? If they did not sign away all rights and did not receive additional compensation for the images they might be able to sue Sony. Good luck working in the movies for the next 30 years.

One of the easiest ways to fix this is to write the network legal department and ask permission to use the frame in your image. Send them a copy and state your use. Is it free in your gallery or do you plan to sell it? If you are ignored or told no then delete it. If you get a yes then it's a legal contract and you can display the work. Their image seen in your image, especially in a positive light is considered free advertizing. While you probably won't get paid like BestBuy did from Sony you might just get a yes.

GreenHawke ( ) posted Mon, 21 December 2009 at 1:54 PM

Thanks, electroglyph.  A very thoughtful response.

I will give it a shot (contacting the studio)...

Kevin

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.