Sat, Oct 5, 6:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Graphics Tablet.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 10:42 AM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 1:06 PM

Hi folks.  My wife got me a Wacom Bamboo Pen graphics tablet for Yule and I was wondering if anyone can tell me 1..  If it is compatible with Carrara 7 Pro and 2... what functions it can be used for?  I need to find this out before I open the box so if it won't work, I can get it exchanged for something else.  Ay help appreciated and HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!!

Rich

Sueposer ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 10:51 AM

Happy holidays to you, too!
I have only tried Wacom's cintiq product, which works seamlessly with C7.
If the bamboo pen works according to specs, it would have wacom's way-smooth action as a better mouse: A much better mouse with very fine control.
Using the tablet/pen instead of a standard mouse saved my wrist.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 10:53 AM

Thanks.  I have never used one before so I wasn't sure of exactly how well it works.  Can it be used as a mouse replacement for general functions outside of C7?

Sueposer ( ) posted Fri, 25 December 2009 at 10:58 AM

Yes, it works as a mouse for any program, but its greatest benefit is for those mouse-heavy things like photoshop.  After getting used to the tablet (give it a day), you will wonder how you ever used that clunky old mouse.

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 26 December 2009 at 6:04 PM

Hi Sparrow, the pressure feature work to paint in 3D in Carrara and its a very best way to work in computers too. At first sight looks a little strange but after sometimes you will never want a mouse or, like me, use a mouse in the right hand and the tablet with the left hand!

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Sun, 27 December 2009 at 8:21 AM

I hardly ever use my mouse, only if I have to do really subtle things in Carrara, like moving something a tiny fraction. And then remembering numeric input is smarter :)

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 27 December 2009 at 5:06 PM

I'm one of those people that likes pushing the puck (the mouse) for most 3D stuff and Vector (bezier) work, but when doing textures or postwork in complementary 2D apps (PhotoShop/PSP/Painter/GIMP/etc.) the tablet is much more natural. Not to mention that with the tablet's drivers installed, the pressure sensitivity comes into play on most paint/drawing apps. And that can add an extra degree of expressiveness that a mouse could never achieve with the same software.

Of course you can use a pen as a mouse, but my feeling is that even though it may be more accurate, it's less precise. (Or is that the other way around?) Depending on your mouse rate, it seems there's more "fudge" room for dragging objects around. (But that same aspect makes drawing with a mouse seem more tedious. As where points on the tablet correlate to points on the screen, which makes much more sense for drawing/painting.)

I just know out of convienience, I keep both devices plugged in. When it's time to draw or touch something up, it's more than convienient to have the tablet ready to go.

I also figure in instances where surface or displacement painting can be done, a tablet would be useful for 3D work. Knowing how I do things, I'd use the mouse to manipulate the object/basemesh and then hop on the tablet to paint or sculpt.

Oh, and if you want to generate some randomness either when drawing or modeling - using both at the exact same time can produce some interesting side effects.

I'd say to keep the tablet and give yourself some time to get used to it, if it's not used much in the course of a year - then sell it. (What you're likely to get re-selling it shouldn't be too terrible considering the typical prices demanded on new and refurbed units.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.