Thu, Sep 19, 5:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How complete is Carrara

Pjotter ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 9:32 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:18 PM

I am working with Daz Studio. Recently I bought Bryce, but now I probably going to buy Carrara also. But with Carrara, do I still need Bryce? I don't want to waste a lot of time studying Bryce, if Carrara can do almost the same things. Bryce as a huge manual.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 9:38 AM

Carrara is capable of doing anything from exotic natural backgrounds to advanced model space ships and some great animations.  I also had Bryce, but honestly, I never needed it after I got Carrara 5 a few years back.  Carrara can import/open poser files as well as many other formats that other packages use.   I has an excellent shader room, and if you are used to dealing with Bryce's horrible interface, you will be in love with the simplicity of Carrara's.  It has separate rooms for assembly, modeling (Spline, Vertex, or Metaball), and rendering.  I would highly advise getting it over Bryce.  It is just so much more powerful and flexible.

GKDantas ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 9:55 AM

Yes, Carrara can do a lot of things that Bryce can, but its render is far more faster them Bryce. ith Carrara you have something like Hexagon, Daz Studio and Bryce in one tool: you can model and texturize like in Hex (OK, not all tools are there, but you can model anything), you can build landscapes, cloud layers like in Bryce (with procedural trees and fur for grass), and use your Poser stuff right inside Carrara!

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Pjotter ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 10:11 AM

I thought so, but wasn't sure. Safes me studying the 1500 page Bryce manual. Carrara is "only" 865 pages.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 11:05 AM

Quote - I thought so, but wasn't sure. Safes me studying the 1500 page Bryce manual. Carrara is "only" 865 pages.

Carrara is a LOT more intuitive.  I started with the old Ray Dream Studio which evolved into the Carrara we know today.  I only use the manual if I run into something I need specific info on.  And there are tons of good tutorials on the net, on just about every aspect of using Carrara.  

SirTwilight ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 11:55 AM

I agree... In fact, the single issue that got me to notice Carrara back in 2001 is its very intuitive UI. I learned to do some basic things in less than a week...

I just needs a little more power (which hopefully will come in 8.0) like fluids, soft-bodies, etc...

Draconia Studios

Thelby ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 12:54 PM

IMHO, Carrara is like Bryce with built-in Modeler, DAZ Studio, Complete Plant Editor, Hair, and So Much Better with IBLs than Bryce. You can even use your Bryce IBLs (HDRI) in Carrara, but you can not use a standard HDRI (Non-Light-Probe) in Bryce. So where you begin to be limited in Bryce, Carrara will take you so much further down the road. 
Carrara is not just a better app, it is a Far Superior Piece of Programming!!!!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

restif ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 4:58 PM

Truthfully, you can't go wrong with Carrara. It is plenty deep and you can create nearly anything you can imagine. If you like DAZ figures or poser figures, this works wonderful with them.  Gl/HDRI lighting and standard lights give you a great control over your scenes and you can do some wonderful world building. I highly recommend it.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 9:08 PM

You'll still want to use the terrain editor in Bryce. (Use it to make heightmaps or meshes for export.) Carrara's terrain editor is kinda funky and difficult to use in comparison.

Just about everything else Carrara does better, especially the animation related stuff.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Pjotter ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 2:46 AM

But as far as I can tell, Daz Studio is a bit easier on the animation part. Powerpose, Puppeteer and aniblocks are very handy tools. I know I can import aniblocks in Carrara, but I think I cannot edit them. For that I need Daz Studio I think.

GKDantas ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 3:18 AM

I think aniblocks load as clips in Carrara...so you can edit it. But since I dont use maybe someone can confirm that?

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Pjotter ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 4:07 AM

Probably I can edit them on the timeline, but the aniblock, besides time stretching,  itself not I think. And it looks like creating aniblocks in Carrara, can only be done in Daz Studio.

holyforest ( ) posted Wed, 06 January 2010 at 5:24 AM

I keep Bryce6 for rendering landscapes, Carrara is a little bit

below Bryce and Vue for landscapes scenery.

---------------------------------------
Holyforest,
Hundreds of shaders for Carrara

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 06 January 2010 at 6:33 PM

Use Carrara in addition to what you have already.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Pjotter ( ) posted Thu, 07 January 2010 at 4:42 AM

Been studying Carrara. And in most cases, Carrara is the best tool of the Daz family. So this should be my default program and if something can be a better in the others, I'll use those as support. Working with bridges is possible, but not the easiest way.

Viratelle ( ) posted Thu, 07 January 2010 at 7:20 AM

Quote - and use your Poser stuff right inside Carrara!

HELLO
I'm a french user of Carrara 7 pro, and I think that it is really easy to use with his separated rooms.
But sincerely, I make the complex forms for spline modeller in Illustrator, it is easier.

And I have sometime some problem with Poser files (PZ3), the pose are not entirely preserved.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.