Sat, Sep 21, 2:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:48 pm)

Subject: For seasoned Poser-Folks: V4 vs. V3...?

lookoo ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 12:37 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:50 PM

Attached Link: example of my kind of V3

I have been using DAZ Victoria figures since 2001, all the way from V1, through V2 to V3. I have always created very specific characters, made my very own clothes for them, have given them names in their native languages and have grown quite personally attached over the years to some of them (if you can says that about a lump of one and zeroes after all LOL).

With V4 being out now already for 2 or three years, I still haven't undergone all the hazzle of migrating once again from one character platform to another. As for joints, I use some shoulder injection morphs to fix V3's shoulders - a thing which I would have to do as well if I was to use V4.

Now I am starting with a larger animation project. I will have to create dynamic clothing from scratch, so I am almost back to zero as far as equipping characters goes. It is now that I am asking myself if moving on to V4 is actually really worth it. I would like to hear from some folks who have worked extensively with V3 as well if this would really be worth it in terms of realism and workflow. Could my character renders really look substantially better with V4? What do you think?

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 12:53 PM

If you will be working with dynamic clothing, neither figure offers any advantage over the other.  If you're modeling your own conforming clothing, then V4 requires quite a bit less work because you will need a lot fewer JCMs (joint controlled morphs).  Both figures have some pretty major anatomy problems (actually, pretty much all popular Poser have pretty major anatomy problems, but eh).  Nearly all the big commercial skin texturers have moved on from V3 to V4 so if you wanted new skin textures - which you're not asking about, I realize - then you could benefit there.

Short answer is if you're happy with V3 and will be working mostly with dynamics, you gain little or nothing from trying to convert to V4, particularly if you do your own clothing modeling.

My Freebies

lookoo ( ) posted Mon, 11 January 2010 at 4:01 PM

Thanks, that was prolly just the nudge I needed - to stay put and happy with what I have :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.