Fri, Sep 20, 9:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Need help doing a head transplant.

crazylegsmurphy ( ) posted Tue, 12 January 2010 at 8:45 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:55 AM

Hey Everyone,

I have an older model with a perfect head shape that I made. I would like to transplant that head to a newer body so I have more control over the morphing and such.

Can someone tell me the best way to go about doing this?

Also, on a related note. I have never been able to figure out why if I make a face in the "face" tab why I can no longer edit it. It's like you have a one shot deal to make it work and then that is that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CLM

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2010 at 7:54 AM

There's more than one way to do this. The easy way is to set everything except the head and neck of figure one invisible, and the head of figure two invisible; then position them so that they coincide. This may be acceptable for a single image (although you'll probably have to postwork the neck join), but a better solution would be to, basically, make a new figure. This will involve modelling and mapping a new neck to join the head and body together, at the very least.

What figures are you planning to join? Someone may have done it already. 

crazylegsmurphy ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2010 at 11:26 AM

Hey EnglishBob,

Thanks for the reply.

I would really like to use this character for several art projects so the first method you mentioned may be a tad frustrating.

The second option is more what I would like to accomplish. I tried opening a new model (Alyson Lo Res), and using the morph "sliders" to match the old model (Sydney G2 Hi-Res), but after a few hours I simply couldn't get it to match in appearance.

If possible, it would be cool to be able to map the old head (Sydney G2) onto a (Alyson) model in either Hi, or Lo res.

Ideally it would be awesome if I could figure out how to just model the face on the Alyson model so I could keep some ability to edit it and such, but I'll settle for a static head.

I remember years ago in school I was working in Softimage and I could have modeled these up, but I don't have the money to drop on an external program since Poser was my Christmas gift to myself this year.

So if this can be done in poser, then that would be amazing.

Nance ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2010 at 1:50 PM

You can use the “Replace Body Part with Prop” method.  Its fairly quick, but you may have problems aligning the neck joint perfectly.

1. load the original Default version of the figure with the desired head & export head as .obj

2. open new scene and import this new head.obj. DON'T MOVE IT!

3. load figure with body that you want, and translate its BODY (not the head .obj) until it aligns with the head.obj that is still in the default position. (Making the Head to be replaced invisible helps to see the upper neck joint.)

4. when aligned, select Head on figure with body and, under the OBJECT pulldown menu, use: "Replace Body Part with Prop" to attach the new head object.

It's Alive!!

Transfer all your prior morphs into the new head & delete the MT's from the old head (they'll still be in the CR2 even though the old head is no longer visible.)
Sometimes I replace the eyes also, sometimes I use the old ones and just reposition them.

The neck joint may still be visible, so try Taper & Scale to tuck it in.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2010 at 4:27 PM

Attached Link: ...For example

Am I right in thinking that your *real* problem is that you don't have many morphs for Sydney's body? If you had more control over her shape, you wouldn't need to go through all this - you could keep the head you've perfected and sculpt the body to suit - is that right?

I haven't upgraded beyond Poser 6, so I know little about Sydney or Alyson, or their capabilities; but you might want to consider an add-on morph pack for Syd instead.

Waves to Nance Thanks for that - sometimes the old ways are the best ways...

crazylegsmurphy ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2010 at 4:52 PM

Ahhh, yes that would also work.

It's too bad you can no longer purchase them. :(

crazylegsmurphy ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2010 at 4:54 PM

Oh, I may have found them elsewhere.

Awesome, thanks!

raburii ( ) posted Wed, 13 January 2010 at 11:48 PM

Some links that may be of help here:

Jasmina's Sydney morph set:  http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=68126&vendor=68323 [haven't tried them myself, but I've had them wishlisted for a loooong time :) ]

"Pop-tops" tutorials:  http://www.ebonshire.net/tut-posa/index.php

shuy ( ) posted Thu, 14 January 2010 at 4:27 AM

file_446396.jpg

Replacing body parts with props or conforming head figure is easiest, but need a lot of postworks. I'm more familiar with Wings modeling then with Photoshop and I prefer weld necks.

I've made NearMe with transplanted head of Koshini.
First I loaded both figures NearMe and Koshini. Hid NearMe head and Koshini body, both necks stayed visible. Koshini was scaled and translated to place head neck in suitable place. Exported visible body parts of both figures as an objects. In Wings I Cuted part of necks leaving up neck of Koshini and down from NearMe. I added some vertex and used bridge. Later I used slide edge to hide weld line.
I exported ready objects to geometries ans a Near_you.obj ;)
In cr2 file I changed obj names Near_me.obj  => Near_you.obj. With Cr2 editor I removed old head morph and copied Koshini morph to new head.

I think this way you can obtain better results then using props or conforming figures. You need a little practice with wings or another modeling software and some UV mapping, because  neck is not mapped. All morphs should works if you did not add any vertex in body or head. Unfortunatelly morphs do not work with neck, because it has new verts order.

shuy ( ) posted Thu, 14 January 2010 at 4:41 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_446397.jpg

Here you can compare Near Me, Near You, Koshini.

I used toon material, because neck is not mapped and I cannot apply any texture yet.

Be careful - do not use weld option in Poser. You can see line under chin, where heck should be weld with heaed, but if you weld it head morphs would not work. In case you see that break is too big, you must fix joints.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.