Sun, Oct 6, 9:07 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Question re: Creating a hybrid figure

yungturk39 ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 1:06 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 9:56 PM

Hey there!

I was hoping someone could help me out with this last step, and hoping even more that it's going to be an EASY one... ;)

I'm trying to create a hybrid figure of A3 and MDP F-202 (MDP's head on A3's body).  I've combined their neck objects into a single object, now I'm just wondering how I get this to become part of a figure.

Is it just a matter of editing A3's .cr2 to take the new objects (the modified neck and MDP's head)?  Do I need to adjust any joint parameters?  What exactly do I have to do to make it work?

...on the plus side, I'm only using procedural shaders for the skin, so I don't need to remap anything...

Any pointers?

mike1950 ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 1:21 PM

I am assuming that the body parts have matching internal names? I dont know either figure, but you should be able to put the modified head together with the body, name it and save the whole as an obj. (save it withexisting groups) Then import the obj, pop it into the setup room apply whichever cr2 matches and save the new character from the pose room.  You likely will need to tweek some JP's.  Also another step you might take befor you apply the bones is to pop the donor figure into the pose room while you have your obj in there and make sure they match up in size and position as closely as possible. I know from working in ZBrush it often resizes the obj very slightly each time I save it (it has problems with Posers small scale) and if you have done many saves it adds up.

noxiart ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 1:35 PM

I think there are several ways to do this, but here's what I usually do :

1. Load figure A which will donate the head.

2. Load figure B, which will donate the body.

3. Make sure both figures are completely zeroed !

4. Lock figure B so it doesn't get shifted around by accident.

5. Move and/or scale figure A until the head/neck are in a position where you want them to be.

6. Export Figure A's head and eyes.

7. Export Figure A's neck.

8. Export Figure B's body.

9. Export Figure B's neck.

10. Import both necks into a modeller and combine the upper half of the A neck with the lower half of the B neck. DO NOT MOVE OR SCALE the necks or Poser won't be able to weld the new neck back to the head and the body!

11. Import the new neck into Poser.

12. Import the A head and eyes into Poser.

13. Import the B body into Poser.

14. Export all three objects simultaneously to combine them into a single object again.
    14a. Check the new object a file in text editor because some modellers/exporters add a :1,:2,:3 or similar to groups and material zones. Delete those affixes ! (But nothing else !)

15. Either import the new object into Poser and use the SetUp room to add the joints of Figure B, or edit a copy of Figure B's cr2 to point to the new object.

16. If the new head is bigger or smaller than the original one, and/or the eyes located differently, edit the rigging with the joint editor to match the new body.

17. Delete the Figure B head and neck morphs and copy the head morphs from Figure A over to the new cr2 using MorphManager.

18. Finally use the morphbrush or a modeller (ZBrush works great for me) to smooth/reshape the new neck.

Enjoy your new figure.

shuy ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 3:37 PM
yungturk39 ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 4:55 PM

Thanks everyone!

It looks, then, that I got a bit ahead of myself.  I did move and scale one figure's neck in order to join it to the other one.

I'm wondering, now, though if this isn't something I could simply correct within Wings...

I guess I need a little more time to play around.

Thanks, again, for the help!

noxiart ( ) posted Fri, 22 January 2010 at 5:29 PM

"I'm wondering, now, though if this isn't something I could simply correct within Wings..."

Yes you can, but it's tedious work as you have to do it for every single vertex you accidently moved that is part of a seam between two bodyparts.

Use the "scale uniform" command in Wings to move  the vertices back to to where they should be.

So if there is a seam between neck and head because you moved the neck, import the head and the neck.
DO NOT MOVE THE HEAD !

1. Select neck vertex you need to move.
  2. RMB  to open advanced commands--> Scale Uniform --> RMB again to confirm.
  3. LMB on corresponding vertex of head
  4. RMB to confirm
  5. Move mouse till counter in the left upper corner shows EXACTLY 0.00% (or -0.00%)
    6.LMB to confirm

Do that with every vertex you moved to stitch the two bodypart together again.

The distance needs to be exactly "0" between for every vertex of adjacent bodyparts or otherwise Poser can't weld them together.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.