Thu, Oct 3, 8:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Unzipping files into Poser 8

majikart ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 12:08 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 8:28 AM

When I had Poser 7, I had no problem creating a path and unzipping Poser related files into Poser 7; But with Poser 8 (Unless It's got an Installer like the DAZ3D products) It's a Big headache: Do you all know How I can unzip the Poser related files into Poser 8 with the folders going where they should go????,It's gonna take me forever to unzip the file and manually drag-n-drop them in. 

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:41 AM

What exactly is preventing you from extracting to your Poser 8 folder?

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:44 AM

The same thing happens to me, all zipped files extracted to Poser 8 actually create their own runtime folder in the Poser 8 Directory, that is what happens to me.  Sharen

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:51 AM

PC or Mac?

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:52 AM

Mine is pc, Windows 7, not sure what  majikart has.  Sharen

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 3:53 AM

Also, the UAC is off and I am admin

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:25 AM

Quote - The same thing happens to me, all zipped files extracted to Poser 8 actually create their own runtime folder in the Poser 8 Directory, that is what happens to me.  Sharen

Did you install P8 in the Programs Folder??????????????

Did you use the P8 "Defauit Install?"

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 7:05 AM

Quote - The same thing happens to me, all zipped files extracted to Poser 8 actually create their own runtime folder in the Poser 8 Directory, that is what happens to me.  Sharen

Could you describe this in more detail? You get two folders called Runtime?!? 

.../Poser 8/Runtime << 2 of these?

I didn't think that was possible.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 9:17 AM

I'm with you on that BB.  Two runtimes cannot coexist within the same folder.  Either 1 is mislabeled or 1 runtime within anotherruntime.

majikart ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 11:01 AM

My new PC set-up is Intel i7 with Windows 7 Professional; When I try to unzip the folder into Poser/Download, I'm confronted with stuff like "Do you want to replace this folder with that folder" or "Texture or Pose folder allready exist" as if Poser 8 does'nt know what do or where to put my unzipped files, Like it needs a DAZ3D installer to get it done; Never had this situation with Poser 7.

majikart ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 11:06 AM

I installed Poser 8 The same way i did with the others, Into the program files,I don't remember being prompted to choose settings.

majikart ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 11:11 AM

Is that why it asked Me if I wanted the file I unzipped to be 'Merged' with an existing file like 'Pose' or 'Textures'????

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 7:09 AM

Quote - I installed Poser 8 The same way i did with the others, Into the program files,I don't remember being prompted to choose settings.

You should have 3 or four choices as to where you want your Main Poser 8 Runtime located.

Also, IMHO, installing poser into your Program files is a bad idea with Vista and Windows 7.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

majikart ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 2:04 PM

Quote - > Quote - I installed Poser 8 The same way i did with the others, Into the program files,I don't remember being prompted to choose settings.

You should have 3 or four choices as to where you want your Main Poser 8 Runtime located.

Also, IMHO, installing poser into your Program files is a bad idea with Vista and Windows 7.

So, In other words, I should steer clear of the program files folders and park it in my Documents folder???, My VUE 7 program is in the documents folder and that's working great.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 2:38 PM

As long as you have authorization, it shouldn't be a problem.  As for the unzipping, yes it will always ask if you want to overwrite or replace.  In a PC, that is not a problem.  You will be essentially merging runtimes, not replacing the contents.  On the other hand, MAC's are notorious for obliterating previous folders when replacing them in a very literal way.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 4:34 PM

Okay, mine is Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, installed Poser 8 on c drive, go to unzip the file, point it to Poser 8 Directory, and when I look at the zipped file, it is sitting in the Runtime Folder under Runtime.....sorry I was not clear before.  I have been manually putting back my files in a separtate folder I unzip to and then add them back to Poser 8 Manually, thinking of just adding separate Runtimes, might be easier, but to much clutter for me.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 5:25 PM

I use 3D Content for all my unzipping needs.  It is very reliable and it generates individual installation logs for future uninstallations.  However, I still open the zipped content and examine the hierarchy folder structure within.  I also convert any rsr formats to png, but that requires unpacking the content, performing the conversion, then repackaging for final installation.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 29 January 2010 at 3:55 AM · edited Fri, 29 January 2010 at 3:56 AM

Quote - So, In other words, I should steer clear of the program files folders and park it in my Documents folder???, My VUE 7 program is in the documents folder and that's working great.

A misunderstanding....
The program should be installed into the default location in the Program Files folder.
The prompt during installation asks you where you want to install the default Poser content Library. Ideally, this should not go into your Program Files folder, but (for example) in your Documents folder.
Hope this clarifies that issue, at least.
:O)

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.