Fri, Aug 2, 11:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 25 7:29 pm)

Subject: No one is called [AgentSmith]-Avatar-The movie

lior ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 5:46 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 10:03 PM

Attached Link: An Interview with Kirk Dunne [AgentSmith]

file_447137.jpg

How to make one of those landscapes? Even the tree they speak about in the movie I haven't? Even this kind of atmo I really don't know???

Only a Poser artist has succeded www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php

www.youtube.com/watch

Isn't it possible ... with Vue?

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:09 AM · edited Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:10 AM

Typically, big productions like Avatar or Pirates of the Caribbean's" use tools like Vue in very complex, composite shots along with many other tools.

In the image above, they could well be using Vue for the cloud layer alone... or for individual flying rocks, and have the vegetation handled by something else.

When someone says Vue was used in a movie, it rarely means that Vue was used for 100% of the shot.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:17 AM

3Dartist, iirc had a tutorial on this by Dax Pandhi... :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

lior ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:20 AM · edited Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:20 AM

Quote - Typically, big productions like Avatar or Pirates of the Caribbean's" use tools like Vue in very complex, composite shots along with many other tools.

In the image above, they could well be using Vue for the cloud layer alone... or for individual flying rocks, and have the vegetation handled by something else.

When someone says Vue was used in a movie, it rarely means that Vue was used for 100% of the shot.

Even Agent Smith doesn't  speak about the tools he has used....

lior ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:27 AM

Quote - 3Dartist, iirc had a tutorial on this by Dax Pandhi... :)

Is it possible with Vue?
Where is his tutorial?

thd777 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:55 AM · edited Wed, 27 January 2010 at 6:55 AM

Quote - > Quote - 3Dartist, iirc had a tutorial on this by Dax Pandhi... :)

Is it possible with Vue?
Where is his tutorial?

I think that iMUDa1 has done a few Vue images that have the right feel for example: imuda1.deviantart.com/art/Floating-Dreams-148696111

I also have tried to get the feel of the night time jungle in on of my images. You can see the image in my gallery here  (more of  a work in progress).

nukeation's tutorial is in "3D World" you can read his journal entry in deviantart here: nukeation.deviantart.com/journal/29189030/

Ciao
TD

Paloth ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 7:53 AM

Here's what I've seen of Pandora in the Vue section of the Renderosity gallery:- 

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2008604&section_id=3&genre_id=&page=5&np

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2008880&section_id=3&genre_id=&page=4&np

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2009587&section_id=3&genre_id=&page=3&np

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Ailig68 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 7:54 AM

If someones interested, here is another Avatar production article, it is not tutorial but is a mindblowing read...:

"It was very interesting. You could actually watch a forest grow in real time with this solution, and any TD could grow just by painting colors on the terrain." With this elegant solution, the big trees would grow first, then the smaller trees would die off as the big trees took away the light, the smaller trees would fight for position, the ground cover would fill in where it could get light."

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5434

lior ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 7:56 AM

In DeviantArt I'm lost so whitch tutorial exactly do you speak about?

Thank you for your help 😄

thd777 ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 8:41 AM · edited Wed, 27 January 2010 at 8:42 AM

Quote - In DeviantArt I'm lost so whitch tutorial exactly do you speak about?

Hello!

The tutorial is not on DeviantArt, it is in the magazine "3D World" (current issue). You will need to buy the magazine (or read it at the bookstore :biggrin: ). The link I have above is to nukeation's DeviantArt journal and shows a small image from the tutorial. Basically an advertisement for the tutorial.

Ciao
TD

lior ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 8:53 AM

Quote - > Quote - In DeviantArt I'm lost so whitch tutorial exactly do you speak about?

Hello!

The tutorial is not on DeviantArt, it is in the magazine "3D World" (current issue). You will need to buy the magazine (or read it at the bookstore :biggrin: ). The link I have above is to nukeation's DeviantArt journal and shows a small image from the tutorial. Basically an advertisement for the tutorial.

Ciao
TD

I live in Israel so no chance to get it :bored:

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 4:44 PM

file_447165.jpg

I really haven't a clue how it's done and I haven't even seen the film yet.

BUT .....  let's see eh ?

A WIP 😄

Gill

lior ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 5:22 PM

Quote - I really haven't a clue how it's done and I haven't even seen the film yet.

BUT .....  let's see eh ?

A WIP 😄

Hi Gill ;smile:

With whitch items have you made this WIP?

Suppose I want to make something like this, how to get this tree?Eternal problem about the atmo settings.

I'd like to show this elegant tree falling...to demonstrate human cruauty?

Be sure that a scene is in my brain and I don't know how to create it it's really stressing 😕

From a Gill's fan 😄

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 5:35 PM

The rocks (that remind me of extracted teeth!) are made with vue primitives (cube, 2 pyramids upturned and a sqashed sphere) that have been metablobbed.  I made some hangy rope/vine things very simply in Hexagon (can't do complicated) and used an ecosystem to get the vegetation growing down from them.

That's as far as I've got so far.  Haven't worked on the atmo or anything else yet. 

Gill

lior ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 5:44 PM

file_447168.jpg

The problem is those kind of clouds

Quote - ...Haven't worked on the atmo or anything else yet. 

gillbrooks ( ) posted Wed, 27 January 2010 at 5:59 PM

Metaclouds ???

Gill

lior ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 1:50 AM · edited Thu, 28 January 2010 at 1:57 AM

Quote - Metaclouds ???

Good morning Gill 😄

In Vue it's not like TG2

TG2:The clouds can be like this easily...
Vue: I always have the scene and the clouds behind ...when I solve this technical problem my Vue renders will be really more wonderful and powerful but suppose this scene you can see the clouds or...among the scene

I need to improve with Vue instead of repeating myself in my next  Vue renders 😕

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 7:18 AM

I never got the hang of TG2 so can't compare.

BUT to get your clouds down low in Vue you just need to go to the atmo tab and bring down the altitude - you can lower it to zero if you need to.  Then adjust the cloud height and height variations, cover and density till you get what you want.  Don't forget, you can have more than one layer of clouds.....
I think geekatplay have several tutorials covering this if it's any help.

Gill

lior ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 9:07 AM · edited Thu, 28 January 2010 at 9:08 AM

Quote - ...BUT to get your clouds down low in Vue you just need to go to the atmo tab and bring down the altitude - you can lower it to zero if you need to...

Would you accept to show me this with (a) print(s) screen(s) if you have patience enough.

Thank you so much, Gill😄

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 10:03 AM

file_447203.jpg

That's fuuny - I've just done that for you before reading your post!  Must be telepathic....

I made a couple of simple clouds in photoshop and saved them as .png to import onto alpha planes.  They were placed at the front of the scene.

I'll do a render of this and post it in the gallery when it's done

Gill

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 10:31 AM

file_447205.jpg

You might want to see the clouds tab too 😄 (afterthought)

Gill

andrewe_665 ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 12:46 PM

There is a short bit on how they made it on the Adobe web page

Akhbour ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 1:19 PM

Just in case someone is interested, the link is a download for some "Avatar" style rocks I made recently. Format .obj, so you can use it in any app and/or version.

Just scale and rotate them untill you are happy.

Peter

lior ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 2:34 PM

file_447211.jpg

> Quote - You might want to see the clouds tab too 😄 > (afterthought)

First of all:a test like this???But not enough clouds 😕

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 2:56 PM

It could be the scale of you scene.  Mine is quite small scale even though it looks vast. 

Thanks for the rocks Akhbour, if I do any more ripoff type scenes I'll use them instead of my metablobs 😉

Over 4 hours and it's still rendering so can't post the piccy yet !

Gill

lior ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 3:22 PM

Quote - It could be the scale of you scene.  Mine is quite small scale even though it looks vast. 

Thanks for the rocks Akhbour, if I do any more ripoff type scenes I'll use them instead of my metablobs 😉

Over 4 hours and it's still rendering so can't post the piccy yet !

I had to use your cloud settings but I had to rotate the camera till you're able to see the low clouds; it was difficult 'cause your cloud settings are not in m,cm,mm but yard,inch...and I don't know inch,yard....
I have simply load a procedural terran + an ecosystem...for this testbut I haven't the kind of trees they are using in the movie: I speak about this big center tree with a big root.

Akhbour ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 3:46 PM

Lior, if you use Vue 7, you can place some Metacloud presets in the scene and scale/rotate them to your likning.

Peter

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 28 January 2010 at 4:01 PM

I work in old measurements because that's what I'm used to.  Don't like metric!  But that doesn't really matter because you can always roughly convert 1 yard to 1 metre.

I'm using one of the old Vue trees in my render - the Summer Cherry. Everyone has that 😄

You don't really need to use a procedural terrain unless you're going to be seeing a lot of details.  I t just takes up memory.  I just have a standard terrain tilted toward the camera (shown in earlier screenshot).  The density of the trees plus all the mist and cloud covers it all so the terrain itself isn't visible.

If it'll help, when the render is done I'll simplify the scene and send it to you so you can take it apart and see where everything goes.  I'll have to replace the rocks with simple spheres but I can leave the ones that I rendered separately and put on alphaplanes to save my memory.

I will also have to modify the material ecosystems I used for the rocks as the base material was a purchased item, not one of my own but I'll choose a standard Vue one that's acceptable.

Let me know if you'd like the file and site mail me with your email address if you do

Gill

gillbrooks ( ) posted Fri, 29 January 2010 at 7:56 AM

Attached Link: The floating rocks render

Sorry my internet died last night!

Right, got the pic uploaded in the gallery.  Just a little additional postwork in PS to give a few more clouds and fog

Lior, do you want me to send you a modified scene file ????

Gill

Arraxxon ( ) posted Fri, 29 January 2010 at 10:01 AM · edited Fri, 29 January 2010 at 10:03 AM

If you know your way around in Vue, you can achieve a close looking environment like in Avatar movie - especially those floating rocks and the mist and clouds hovering around.
Gill did a good job in her render - but for sure, she can get even closer and closer to the movie look, putting more work into it.

Anyway - they didn't use Vue in the Avatar movie, because they've programmed a system, which was capable of growing plants instantly and interacting and influencing each other ... because they needed this for a real time movie and not a still.
So the requirements for landscape and plant design were totally different and Vue, as nice stuff you can do with it, wouldn't fit in the pipeline.

Sure, i can't and don't know either, what programs they've used, i've just read a few detailed articles about it and there was never Vue mentioned in there.
Vue could've been used for quick pre-screening purposes in early developement stages, who knows - but maybe in the future there will be more information available in this matter.

lior ( ) posted Sun, 31 January 2010 at 5:26 AM

Quote - If you know your way around in Vue, you can achieve a close looking environment like in Avatar movie - especially those floating rocks and the mist and clouds hovering around.
Gill did a good job in her render - but for sure, she can get even closer and closer to the movie look, putting more work into it.

Anyway - they didn't use Vue in the Avatar movie, because they've programmed a system, which was capable of growing plants instantly and interacting and influencing each other ... because they needed this for a real time movie and not a still.
So the requirements for landscape and plant design were totally different and Vue, as nice stuff you can do with it, wouldn't fit in the pipeline.

Sure, i can't and don't know either, what programs they've used, i've just read a few detailed articles about it and there was never Vue mentioned in there.
Vue could've been used for quick pre-screening purposes in early developement stages, who knows - but maybe in the future there will be more information available in this matter.

It seems they have used lightwave

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:57 AM · edited Mon, 15 February 2010 at 8:57 AM

Attached Link: http://www.wetafx.co.nz/features/avatar/

Weta just released a few videos of visual breakdown of some scenes in Avatar.

This should give you an idea of the amount of layers involved.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.